Power To The Z

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Re: Power To The Z

Post by LittleAtari » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:30 pm

Code wrote:Wait, since when are fades a bad choice in editing? :|
Fades themselves are not a bad. It's how you use the fades. There are a lot of editors who most of their transitions are fades. Usually, when this is done, it actually makes the editing weaker without the editor realizing it.

Hard cuts come off as a lot more powerful because you're cutting directly from one shot to the next. When you think about it, hard cuts are more traditional. Movies, music videos, etc, mostly use hard cuts.

Fades come off as more organic and softer because you're essentially getting a preview of the next shot, making your video somewhat predictable. Because of this softness that fades give, they can be used more often in slower videos, usually a romance or drama. Still, you shouldn't make it your made transition in those types of videos because you may end up undermining any build up that a hard cut can help you make. Sometimes, we need a quick switch to the next scene.

In the end, a fade is an overlay with an opacity change. It really isnt all that amusing to see two shots at the same time on top of each a lot. When used improperly, fades can make your video predictable and make scenes have less of an impact.

EDIT:
Enigma wrote:
SupaKaream wrote:Video was good, I found the ending abrupt.

It's a trailer, It's kinda of meant to be abrupt.
For an action/dramatic trailer such as this, it is good to have a sudden ending. The thing is, you need to build up to it and make it so that the audience knows that this is the end of the trailer. Remember, regardless of wanting a hard cut ending, your trailer should still have a type of conclusion. It may have helped if you put the title of your video or the movie at the end on its own title card like a regular trailer would have.
Last edited by LittleAtari on Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevmaster
Eisenbahnmörser
Org Profile

Post by Kevmaster » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:32 pm

HARD CUTS ARE FUCKING ANNOYING AND HURT MY EYES I HATE THEM SO FUCK U

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:45 pm

Kevmaster wrote:HARD CUTS ARE FUCKING ANNOYING AND HURT MY EYES I HATE THEM SO FUCK U
Pussy.

LA@ Thanks for the input :) .

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:53 pm

I'm making an AMV but I'm a bit worried because some spots only have 5
stock effects at once. I know the great AMVs have 20 to 30 at once at
all times. So what effects can I add to the slow parts to increase the
shininess of my video?

Well here is where our knowledge of AMVs really can come in handy. First I must dispell the myth that these are stock effects, no each one is handcrafted for a very deep and symbolic meaning. We have compiled a list of the Single most important effects to use in your video. If you want to have a video that will win you contests and then money and women, you'll need to follow this guide. My crack team of investigative AMV watchers have invested countless minutes revewing all of the videos on a-m-v.org's top ten percent, in order to coallate a Top ten list of the single most important effects of all time. Let's get started shall we?

#10) Use Naruto, Bleach, or Dragon Ball Z, many people think these things are just source. I call those people ignorant fools. Naruto, Bleach, and DBZ are actually complex special effects, and are kind of cheating when it comes to winning fame and popularity. NARUTO AND SHIT!

#9) The Lens flare. The lens flare is the last bastion of the creative individual. So much is possible with lens flares alone you hardly even need footage, but combine them with footage and the creative possibilites are endless, Lens flare Nipples, Lens flare Crotches, Lens flare eyeballs, lens flare lens flares, and they can even be used to metaphorically represent the light that contributes to the final image actually refracts all the way through the lens assembly onto the sensor in addition to film flares that happen when non-image light ( i.e. sun rays) reflect off the lens assembly and strike the sensor. Metaphorically of course. LENSF LARES AND SHIT

#8)The Samurai X Strobe. This is a very specific strobe effect included in the footage, and thus makes it better than all other strobe effects. It also makes it our number eight effect. Please disregard the fact that the strobe will never be timed with your music, it only makes it more artistic, just like the film. SAMURAI X STROBES AND SHIT

#7) The bar effect. This is a very important effect, but sadly it's use is diminishing. The bar effect is one of Earth's non renewable resources. Over %50 of the earth's entire amount of bar effects can be found here.
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=61198 BAR EFFECTS AND SHIT

#6) Funny Accents. All of the best effect creators have accents better than yours. Unless you speak like a southern belle hand have blonde curls, If this is the case please contact inthesto@graffiti.net.
BEING EUROPEAN AND SHIT

#5)Schitzophrenia, it causes you to hallucinate and see things that arn't there, and hear things that arn't there, ad these are the two components of an AMV. So there you go.
PSYCHOSIS AND SHIT.

#4)Wrong Aspect Ratios. Are you tired of having all you favorite character be too short and fat? I know I am. Well when you use the wrong aspect ratio it makes the characters nice and tall and thin. This is especially good for drama videos, when the characters are thin they have eating disorders, and nothing's more dramatic that that. I might suggest going the other way for comedy videos. Everyone knows fat people are funny, and funny people are Jewish. Therefore fat people are Jewish.
MAZAL TOV AND SHIT

#3)Penile Enlargement Medication
Do you believe in magic? We suppose you're likely to answer "no.". We hadn't believed, either...until the moment we tried MegaDick! What this wonder medicine does to a human phallus cannot be called otherwise than a Miracle!
Just picture to yourself, that your love wand suddenly becomes longer and thicker and makes women tremble with desire!
It's fabulous!
LOVE STICK AND SHIT!

#2)Glow, if your video does not look like it's on a transparent overhead that's been put on the surface of the sun and projected on the moon during a lunar eclipse, obviously you've done something wrong.
GLOW AND SHIT

#1) In the beginning there was God, and the cross fade. God cross faded the universe and gave birth to heaven and earth. Day and night was formed when God cross faded from white to black. the separation of land and sea was nothing more than a cross fade. Everything that is was and will ever be is a direct result of the cross fade. And God saw the cross fade and the cross fade was good. It is also the number one effect.
GOD AND SHIT

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:57 pm

Cap'n Toddenfreude wrote:WORDS OF WISDOM
Guide right thar.

Bauzi
Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)
Org Profile

Post by Bauzi » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:48 pm

Rezzz way to explain his opinion is horrible. If it comes down to it, he is right: You won't see a trailer from the industry with so many fades.

But than again! This video fails on so many levels for a trailer:
What? No Title, no credits, no actor names, no date of release, no staff names, no mpaa notice...

So let's leave it by that and think of it as an amv!

I like it. It's always pleasent to see new and good dbz videos. The only thing that I really have to complain about it is the ending. It's abrupt, it's somehow synced to somehting :| and well it's too aprupt. I would have needed something slow at the end. I don't know... like Broly standing on a hill breathing slowly or the title for the fictive movie. Something that makes the video fade out at the end.

4/5 :up: LIKES

Crossfades get anoying pretty fast if they are used all the time to sync random shit. I didn't felt this way with this video. In my opinion Niwa's IC (or somebody else's videos from those IC, I don't remember to good) videos on YT from a few years ago. Sry to call you out Fred :sweat:
You can find me on YT under "Bauzi514". Subscribe to never miss my AMV releases. :amv:

CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
Org Profile

Post by CodeZTM » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:08 pm

Atari, that explanation was actually pretty good. :book:

[Although I still don't like hard cuts except in action vids. |:> ]

LittleAtari
Call Me Moneybagz
Org Profile

Post by LittleAtari » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Code wrote:Atari, that explanation was actually pretty good. :book:

[Although I still don't like hard cuts except in action vids. |:> ]
Honestly, if you're used to fades, it could be hard to get into, but you should give it a try. There are a lot of times where a hard cut will do you better than a fade, but you're just so used to using fades that you either forget about the hard cut or it may just end up looking weird to you at first. Also, avoiding cross fades forces you to look for more creative ways making one scene flow into the next. You may end up matching up different things from both scenes, such as the motion or color.

Going back and watching the video, in some parts the fades did help make things more dramatic. In others, it just made things visually overwhelming.

0:13 - Weak
0:22 - Tasteful
0:23-0:24 - Dramatic
0:27-0:31 - Visually overwhelming, the time you take to fade things forces you to cut through multiple scenes too quick
0:32 - Softened the impact of the next scene
0:33-0:38 - Worst cross fades in video. Hard cuts here would've built a lot more tension.
Rest of video - Most of the fades were dramatic. However, a few of them would've been better as hard cuts.

Looking at the ending now. Simply a title card at the end of the video would've given you the ending that you wanted really :P

A little bit of frame blending, watch for disabling re-sample/frame blending next time.

EDIT:
Bauzi wrote: But than again! This video fails on so many levels for a trailer:
What? No Title, no credits, no actor names, no date of release, no staff names, no mpaa notice...

So let's leave it by that and think of it as an amv!
A trailer really doesnt need most of those. At minimum, it needs a Title card.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:43 pm

why was i not emailed, pmed, and texted about this?? :shock: :shock: what's wrong with you people!! :nono:

grrr Rider approves :up: 4/5 i liked the voice overs you threw in there. they fit well.

i have 3 small gripes then i'll get back to the good stuff: i think the aspect ratio was slightly off, lip sync could use a little work, and the ending felt unsatisfying in that it left me no desire to go watch (for the hundreth time). i'm surprised you chose to give away the ending. the point of a trailer is to encourage viewers to want to go see the movie :/

other than that i give you props for effort and sync. very smooth and a lot more rare footage. i didn't recognize several scenes at all :mrgreen: video quality was very sweet |:> i like it

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:58 pm

Decent, but the trailer audio is random as fuck...

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”