Video Information

Information

  • Member: Zero1
  • Studio: Z3r01's Anime
  • Title: [Z3r01's Anime] Rurouni Kenshin & Godsmack - Sick of Life (640x480)
  • Premiered: 2004-05-12
  • Categories:
  • Song:
    • Godsmack Sick of Life
  • Anime:
  • Participation:
  • Comments: ------------------------REQUIRES XVID V1.00 OR DIVX 5.2 MINIMUM------------------------- Download the current versions from Koepi's XviD Site and/or DivX Official Site If all else fails, or you would like to try the (possibly) easiest way, you could try FFDShow
    Having playback problems? You can check out v1.00 of this playback guide I put together.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


    Well this is my second Kenshin AMV and also my second ACen submission, this is Version 2. Version 1 had some very dark video (as it was on the DVD) and was generally only suitable for TV playback.

    I used Premiere Pro for this video, it was my first time using this software to make an AMV, so I was unfimilliar with the settings and features, I think I managed pretty well though. I certainly couldn't have ever made this video in Windows Movie Maker.

    I've had many problems along the way with making this video. Since I was new to Premiere Pro, I wasn't familiar with the settings, or how to change them. You can't change them once they are set either, so I had to make a new project and import the saved project file. As a result I ended up making the whole video in a 29.97fps DV-AVI config, when I wanted it to be 23.976fps Video for Windows. I had to retime the whole file, and it took ages since none of the lipsyncs fitted anymore.

    To add to the problems, I had also made the video with the source files I made with my old ripping/encoding method, which meant good quality DivX files (which were the same size or smaller than the DVD files) that weren't deinterlaced properly, the fields were just blended together, but they were 23.976fps (Now you can see why I had problems earlier when converting the project from 29.97fps to 23.976).

    I wanted the encoding to be near flawless, it's time I killed interlaced frames altogether. I seeked help at the DivX forums (was originally going to encode as DivX until I saw that XviD was significantly better) to learn how to get the best possible quality from DivX regardless of filesize (never had used HuffYUV until then), a member called edv showed me the software (most of which I had) and also explained how AVIsynth worked. i finally got it to work for me, it was deinterlacing perfectly, and I was exporting to HuffYUV since I wanted to take a chance and see it's pros and cons.

    I dumped just 2 episodes, and believe it or not they were in excess of 50GB! (I think there was about 80 mins of video at most).

    I went into Premiere, exported my music video using the new de-interlaced, lossless source and dumped the finished AMV as HuffYUV and Wave (lossless audio and video codecs). It looked good, but even with lossless compression there were still noticable artifacts from the DVD.

    To cut a long story short I remastered the finished AMV and dumped it to HuffYUV again, no more artifacts and the colours were solid, it would also compress better and give much better quality.

    As for the XivD encoding, I ran various tests over 3 or 4 days, each with slightly different settings. Firstly I output a video with the default settings, screen capped a frame and dumped it into Photoshop, I used this as a base and added encoding settings until the screencaps from the new tests looked better. I kept doing this until I had tested every setting, I got up to 72 test files!!! and I concluded that the settings for file 65 were the best quality, so it became that I used these settings in this file.

    I tried something different for the MP3 audio & encoding. I tried an open source codec based on the Fraunhofer Layer 3 codec (the base of MP3) which has been optimised for quality and speed while retaining compatibility with the existing MP3 standard. The LAME MP3 codec sounded much better, but I still felt i could do better, I wanted to use VBR encoding, like DivX and XviD use to take advantage of a variable data rate. There is quite a bit of dead audio at the start and end of the video with no sound whatsoever, so why encode nothing at 160kbs? Like I did with the XviD tests, I also ran multiple tests and configs and chose the best, I also used a visual aid to see which version retained the most information on the high frequencies.

    VBR MP3 is not officially supported by the AVI container standard. It works fine, but in some rare cases the audio may seem to lag, please let me know if you experience this and I will fix it.

    While on the subject of compatibility, I would have liked to have encoded this in widescreen, but some people experience aspect ratio problems, this should allow you to watch it as intended.

    With all the tests I have done, hopefully this is the best quality this video can be at present, I hope you like what you see, a lot of work went into it, not just on video creation, but also in the encoding.

    Big shout to Edv at DivX forum for the AVIsynth tip ;)

Opinions (21)

  • Orig
  • Visual
  • Sound
  • Synch
  • Lip
  • Effects
  • Effort
  • Re-View
  • Overall
  • 8.65
  • 9.76
  • 9.88
  • 8.65
  • 9.00
  • 8.94
  • 9.18
  • 8.35
  • 8.88

Downloads