- Member: seasons
- Title: Current Options
- Premiered: 2019-05-07
- Wire Comet
1. I finished this AMV in May of 2018 and entered it into the 2018 Anime Central AMV contest in the freestyle category under a different title than what's here. The contest screening was the first time I had ever watched one of my videos in a public setting. I'd watched and rewatched the video countless times before this, but I feel like seeing it in this context somehow gave me a more objective understanding of how I'd both succeeded in some of my goals...as well as plainly exposing me to aspects of it that failed to do so.
2. I'm listing the "date premiered" as May 7, 2019 because that's the date I'm putting it online. I made a handful of extremely minor edits to it over the last year, so technically speaking, this AMV has never been shown anywhere before and is premiering for the first time.
3. Your Name was released in Japanese theaters in mid 2016 and received a modest but surprisingly decent US theatrical run in 2017. The movie came to DVD and Blu ray in late 2017. Unsurprisingly, as the film was a huge phenomenon at this point, there were plenty of editors releasing Your Name AMVs. There were probably lots of really creative ones coming out around this time. However, I was having a lot of trouble finding them, much less simply finding any at all that were interested in approaching the material from anything other than a purely sentimental perspective. That's an absolutely valid approach to take, but it wasn't one I was interested in watching (or at least not any further than I already had), let alone choosing to take myself in editing one. So with my modest abilities I wanted to make something as different from that as I possibly could. That was really the only idea behind this.
4. My prior feelings about Your Name AMVs were certainly biased and based on a very small sample size of videos. There were a lot of editors making really solid videos from the film before I ever sat down to edit with it and certainly many more unpredictable, fun and otherwise compelling AMVs released since I put the finishing touches on this one. In other words, I don't think "Your Name AMVs suck" or whatever my attitude likely comes across as. If I had a resentful attitude towards anyone editing with the film, it was towards the "editors" who were merely rearranging scenes from the film's trailer and releasing their creations on YouTube throughout 2016 and 2017 (although if you asked me to specifically find some of these objects of contempt today, I honestly don't even know if I could).
5. This AMV turned out basically how I wanted it to, yet I know exactly where's it's weak and needs to be improved. I've felt so for nearly a year now and have sat on the video waiting for inspiration to hit me and rectify the issues I have with it. Since completing it over a year ago, I've played around with the timeline on several occasions and have combed through the film over and over looking for appropriate scenes that could be inserted into this sequence or that to break things up in a certain way...I just don't think there's anything left in the film that I could use that wouldn't dramatically change what's here towards ends I never intended. I've tried adding some clips to this but the result comes across as...obviously adding clips for no reason but to pad out a video. It's not that I didn't try to make this work better. I really did!
6. I really don't know what category to put this in. Action? Drama? Fun? I've had this problem ever since I started editing and it's really weird.