- Member: Millenium Strife
- Studio: Avalon Blade Works
- Title: Sakura-Con 2009 AMV Opening [Director's Cut]
- Premiered: 2009-04-10
- Tchaikovsky 1812 Overture
- Evangelion: 1.0 You Are (Not) Alone (Movie)
- Fate/stay night (TV)
- Fate/stay Night [Realta Nua] (Game)
- Fullmetal Alchemist (TV)
- Lost Universe
- Mahoromatic ~Something More Beautiful~
- Maria Holic (TV)
- Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, The (TV)
- Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya (ONA)
- Shakugan no Shana (TV)
- Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann (TV)
- Witchblade (TV)
AT CON VERSION : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYWwvhEAjdA
This is the director's cut (my cut) of the above video. =)
As with my history with being involved with the Sakura-Con AMV contest, I was granted with the privilege of making the opening video for 2009's contest by their AMV Coordinator.
The only content I ultimately made was anything synced to music up until the title sequence at the end of the video. The concept was completely engineered by Tom Allmendinger.
The text part and the ending portion with Sakura-Con's/ANCEA's 3D logos were created by Tom Allmendinger and Julian Fong, respectively.
Basically, Dinger wanted things blowing up in sync to the cannons and other parts of the music from Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture. This is what I strived to create and edit with my anime choices.
In the end, he wanted things of all sorts to explode. He also wanted to poke fun that in most anime where large amounts of buildings are destroyed in Japan, Tokyo Tower is either left standing or largely intact. I had to edit in having the tower explode at the end.
However, due to his own personal wishes (of which I fully respected) the final version was different from what I had originally created.
Differences from Director's Cut:
1) The zoom into Seattle (with the help of Google Maps) was not use in the final cut due to time. This was however used in the Sakura-Con 2009 Opening Video. It seemed to fit better overall in that video instead of the AMV opening. So it worked out.
2) My 3 explosions with the spinning logo were cut to an original cut of the observation tower exploding, accompanied with a final cannon explosion. This was again for effect and time constraints.
Anime Used in Order of Apperance:
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi-chan
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
Mahoromatic : Something More Beautiful
Evangelion 1.0 : You are (Not) Alone
Shakugan no Shana
Fate/Stay Night (Realta Nua)
All the costumes I cosplayed at Sakura-Con were in this video.
Near the end with the rapid flashing and cuts to different characters and scenes, my AMV from last year, Fate/Eternal Inferno, was played in reverse very quickly as an overlay.
Witchblade footage was used for the Tokyo Tower (first episode).
X TV was in the at-con version but was omitted in my director's cut. It was the scene for the tower's observation deck being asploded.
Video took about a week to make. That's what happens when you have to help run the convention and take care of other things in life. If you don't have obligations and live on the org, how I envy you. =)
I had fun making this video, and I hope that if I am not able to compete/show at Sakura-Con's contest [due to my being an executive], that I am able to continue to be involved in some fashion. =)