What do I really need to make a AMV for iMovie?

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.
xxhieijaganshigurl669x
Org Profile

What do I really need to make a AMV for iMovie?

Post by xxhieijaganshigurl669x » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:06 pm

I haven't made a AMV yet and I plan to but I'm stuck! I need help on what to do and what I need to do it. Please help me! I'm a damsel in distress!
"I only fight for myself and only love myself.... that's the only love I need..."

-Gaara of the Desert(Sabaku no Gaara)

AMVfreak
Org Profile

Post by AMVfreak » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:13 pm

Lurid Enchantment - ICYCLOUD
urban suite - TRYTHIL
大切な思い - BAKADESHI
Expansion - RESK

xxhieijaganshigurl669x
Org Profile

Post by xxhieijaganshigurl669x » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:17 pm

ok i read it sand i tried it......im not very smart wen it cums to comps. do i need all those programs it lists or juz da dvd rip ones?! ?_? :oops: im so lost! sum1 plz help me! i hav iMovie nd i kno not alot of ppl hav it but if u do can u plz explain to me how to rip da dvds so i can use them in a AMV. i want to mak anotha AMV but i cant witout knowin how to rip dvds :cry: thnx u fo ur suggestions!

xxhieijaganshigurl669x
Org Profile

Post by xxhieijaganshigurl669x » Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:20 pm

if sum1 ever replies bakk it wud b gr8 if u cud email me instead XxfalleNangel669xx@yahoo.com dats my email address plz write to me ASAP im dyin here! the waitin fo these responses is torture! its drivin me insane :lol:
"I only fight for myself and only love myself.... that's the only love I need..."

imuneekru
Org Profile

Post by imuneekru » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:04 am

iMovie works with Quicktime video formats. What you have on your store-bought DVD is "VOB (Video OBject)" files. So here is an list of all you need to do to start off with iMovie when you rip from DVD:

1.) 0Sex: Takes VOB files off the DVD and puts them onto your hard drive... as--ta-daaa!--VOB files!

2.) DiVa: Grabs any number of VOB files from your hard drive, chews them up, and spits them out as one continuous Quicktime movie (.mov). These files are HUGE, so be sure you have enough room. Be sure to set the quality to "Best" and choose Photo Jpeg or Apple Pixlet Video. Also, take advantage of DiVa's ability to "crop" the picture and get rid of credits! Practice on a 2-minute "opener" sequence to get the aspect ratios right.

3.) Clip Creator 2: Splices up your long .mov file into shorter segments that iMovie can digest. This is a really handy tool. You can do it Kirin's way--cut up an episode into a bunch of five-minute segments. Or you can do it my way, which is to capture only the footage you want, and scrap the rest (great if you only wanted 5 seconds of that boring 30-minute summary episode!) Here is a tip that's NOT in the guide: Clip Creator can run through an entire movie, just the 3-second bit you need, and save it as a separate .mov file. Use the program's controls to fast-forward to the start point of your clip, then click "Mark IN". Play until the end of your desired clip, then click Mark OUT". Press "Make Clip" (the button between the two viewing screens) and the "Save Clip" on the right to save it as a new file. Make sure you've captured your clip with a buffer of about 3 seconds before and after the desired shot to be sure you have the footage you want.

4.) iMovie: Imports short .mov clips as ".dv" in the project file. When you're all done, there's a variety of formats you can export, see the iMovie guide for details.

As far as I know, all the above software is freeware. I am sure there is some far, far better way to edit video that costs an arm an a leg. If you are desperate enough to use iMovie, however, then you are probably poor enough that you're only doing this as a hobby and aren't making a dime off your artistic compilations. (Disclaimer: Don't. It's illegal.) If, on the other hand, you're creating your own footage and you plan to try out for Pixar, please invest in something better than iMovie--your artwork deserves it! [/i]

xxhieijaganshigurl669x
Org Profile

Post by xxhieijaganshigurl669x » Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:48 pm

thnx fo ur help, imuneekru! I'm still learnin about clipcreator i finally learned how to get long clips in there and split them to the parts i want but now they wont go into iMovie >_< one problem afta anotha the cycle never stops X_x

Return to “Mac Software”