Need help Comparing Sending Freedom vs. Fairy Tail...

Feedback on betas & works in progress

Moderator: Forum moderators

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Re: Need help Comparing Sending Freedom vs. Fairy Tail...

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:51 pm

Okay guys let's calm down first of all.

@inthesto - I'm not going to challenge you to an Iron Editor.

I remember when animemusicvideos.org actually was an amazing place to be. I know that several of us want to restore it to the good days. I'm here to offer feedback on videos for other editors. I'm here to learn more about the current editing styles. I have a lot to catch up on.

I've been away from editing for 7 years. So I'm just trying to figure out since I took my time on the Fairy Tail AMV if it has more "sync" than Freedom why is it not doing as well. I mean I'm looking at it that it has failed to make finals at conventions where as my other works, I thought it was either slightly better than the past videos or same quality in terms of "sync" and emotions. I'm trying to see what I did "wrong" in comparison to my old work. Yet I'm not able to place my finger on it.

When I said "rated" higher, I mean one yes the action sync scores do drastically differ between Freedom and Fairy Tail. So I was wondering if is something dealing with the times have changed. Maybe back then that was good for Sending Freedom however that style now gets rated lower? I'm not talking about the star scale system. I'm looking for honest feedback. I've just been getting a lot of mixed messages about the video and I'm not sure. If something is off about the video I want to know, however if I'm confused about the information I got, I may contact the editor to chat about it and try to understand their reasoning and what was my original thought process. Try to understand why my thought process was not necessarily the right way.

Anyways this was not suppose to turn into a drama post or complaining about the rating or scores. This was suppose to be about why Sending Freedom had more success compared to Don't Mess with Fairy Tail.
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

macchinainterna
Org Profile

Post by macchinainterna » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:06 pm

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:11 pm

Gene Starwind 21122 wrote:stuff
Instead of being worried about sync, what do you want? People can assist you and tell you their opinions, but you have to go with what you want. Do you WANT better sync? Do you WANT better scores? Acknowledgement? Just to have fun? Make the best video you can? Be as good as [insert editor here]? Other people can assist you, (and yell at you) but only you can help yourself here.

If you don't know what you want, take some time to think about it. If you do, be upfront and take a different attitude. Instead of "what's wrong with this video, etc?" which is getting you flak because people are assuming it's a shallow attention grab (whether it is our nut, that's how it's being perceived), how about, "How can I improve my sync?"

So again, what do you really want? Even if it's something other people might think it's negative, acknowledging it is the first step toward growth and improvement. And displaying the strength to be up front about what you truly desire shows not only integrity, but will also earn people's respect as compared to what's happening currently.
Last edited by Tsunami Jones on Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:14 pm

What really want to know is what is off about my "sync" and does my video have the same emotional impact like they did before?

I still want to have fun, but I want to improve my "sync" though.

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:17 pm

Ok. Good. And what does sync mean for you?

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:28 pm

Sync means matching the lyrics and hitting key beats. Hitting beats that will impact the video more and bring forth more of emotion or some other type of impact. Having the lyrics and the scenes tell a story with the video. Also having the video flow into one section into another, basically taking you on a journey.

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:34 pm

Thank you, now everyone can have more clarity.

And what does "emotional impact" mean for you? What kind of emotional impact? Laughter is the sign of an emotional impact, as is revulsion. Both could be wanted or unwanted depending on the context. Also, have you checked in with what "impact" previous videos have had? If you've only heard from friends, it might not be what you think.

But I am curious. Even beyond this topic, what do you want? I see your signature and I've heard enough gossip to make some judgements about you wanting some kind of recognition, or to be one of the "cool" kids, or maybe just to have some friends. I could be wrong.

So with ALL of this, 12 years of it, what do you want?

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:44 pm

Mark how would I get the kind of emotional impact that's a combination of laughter and revulsion? The kind that would cause you to regurgitate the three microwaved hot-dogs you ate an hour ago, yet, as the chunks of pork byproduct are colliding with your incisors, you have a smile on your face. Your uncontrollable chortling is causing you to inhale bile and ketchup which in turn causes more vomit and yet also more laughter. That kind of emotional impact.

Tsunami Jones
is the best medicine.
Org Profile

Post by Tsunami Jones » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:47 pm

Fall_Child42 wrote:Mark how would I get the kind of emotional impact that's a combination of laughter and revulsion? The kind that would cause you to regurgitate the three microwaved hot-dogs you ate an hour ago, yet, as the chunks of pork byproduct are colliding with your incisors, you have a smile on your face. Your uncontrollable chortling is causing you to inhale bile and ketchup which in turn causes more vomit and yet also more laughter. That kind of emotional impact.
With your previous experience of editing, what are 3 ways you could achieve your desired effect?

macchinainterna
Org Profile

Post by macchinainterna » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:48 pm

Fall_Child42 wrote:Mark how would I get the kind of emotional impact that's a combination of laughter and revulsion? The kind that would cause you to regurgitate the three microwaved hot-dogs you ate an hour ago, yet, as the chunks of pork byproduct are colliding with your incisors, you have a smile on your face. Your uncontrollable chortling is causing you to inhale bile and ketchup which in turn causes more vomit and yet also more laughter. That kind of emotional impact.

Return to “Works in Progress”