Run Makoto Run by Qwaqa

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
qwaqa
Org Profile

Run Makoto Run by Qwaqa

Post by qwaqa » Tue Sep 19, 2023 7:24 pm

Anime: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time and some... stuff
Song: Stop the Rock
Artist: Apollo440
Creator: Qwaqa

Ok, I know I said I was done with this shit over a decade ago. But, I guess, I wasn't. Oh well, Makoto lived in my brain rent free for years, now she's going to live in yours too. Enjoy. But now I'm done... until I decide otherwise. See you in a few years, I guess.

Just in case anyone wants a version with insane bitrate https://drive.google.com/file/d/14ziC-0 ... sp=sharing

P.S. if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Love, Q

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Re: Run Makoto Run by Qwaqa

Post by Mol » Wed Sep 20, 2023 5:19 am

Was thinking about some movement amv a while ago, guess don't have to now , thx.
Still better than that MMO.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:01 am

With high-minded AMV concepts like this the end result tends to show the result of the editor's creativity, often feeling meticulously planned and intentional at every step. This, on the other hand, feels like an invitation to the creative process, getting a first-hand look at all the decisions you had to make as you were making them, pivoting from one ridiculous motif to the next. If you've ever seen the workspace of a particularly prolific artist, it's always a mess of sketchbooks and half-finished drawings or paintings, with pens and pencils and brushes sprawled everywhere, like the artist's brain exploded all over the room spreading their ideas to every surface. Stepping into that kind of space is a thrilling glimpse into the artist's mind, even if it's incomplete. Watching this video is pretty much the AMV equivalent of that: a digital montage of little -- sometimes incomplete -- ideas that all coalesce into an endlessly intriguing, strangely consistent whole. It is so much fun to watch and experience, I feel like I'll never be able to explore every little corner in the depth that I want, but that's part of its endless charm. Fantastic stuff.

Gotta ask -- how long did this one take?

qwaqa
Org Profile

Post by qwaqa » Wed Sep 20, 2023 11:04 am

CrackTheSky wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 10:01 am
Gotta ask -- how long did this one take?
I started this project way back in the May of 2019. So the straight answer is roughly 4.5 years. But in reality there wasn't much progress until October of 2020. This is how it looked back then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8ChMT0PBQk

Only once I had solid grasp on the begining I really started working on it full time (still had a LOT of down time due to IRL stuff). Most of the progress was made in 21 and 22. And by 23 I already had version that was 90% complete. By then most people I showed it to didn't see what was so incomplete about it.

The real problem was that this thing kept growing. Once I looped the final part of the song the video could potentially continue indefinetly. Hell, this version is 6 seconds longer than the one I submitted to NDK in august.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:31 pm

This is one of the most amazing things I have ever seen. I can't even comprehend it. Props to your dedication and insanity.

AltruisticCrono
Org Profile

Post by AltruisticCrono » Mon Nov 06, 2023 11:36 pm

It starts off with a similar design to Livetune's Transfer running girl and then goes off the rails into Everything Everywhere All at Once territory. Stellar performance!!! May that project file be preserved into the hall of fame somewhere.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Tue Nov 07, 2023 10:24 pm

Follow-up question if you're still checking in on this thread: was the opening ~1 minute of this video inspired by the music video to The Chemical Brothers' Star Guitar? That was my immediate thought when I first watched this and I can't get away from it.
Last edited by CrackTheSky on Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qwaqa
Org Profile

Post by qwaqa » Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:58 pm

That was the original inspiration for the entire video. It got derailed a bit after a few years of work. I was also planning on using another Chemical Brothers track precisely because of Star Guitar, but Apollo 440 edged it out in the end.

By the way, I’ve been trying to figure out how Gondry made that video for more than a decade now. And I still have no clue.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Wed Nov 08, 2023 4:19 pm

qwaqa wrote:
Wed Nov 08, 2023 12:58 pm
By the way, I’ve been trying to figure out how Gondry made that video for more than a decade now. And I still have no clue.
There has been a bit of information revealed about it over the years, but it mostly seems to be that they just composited parts together really well, and did a bit of cgi.

https://www.quora.com/How-was-this-vide ... s%2C%20etc.

https://viewinder.com/star-guitar/

I think the motion blur probably helps a LOT with hiding the masking and making everything look more realistic.

SailorTardis
Org Profile

Post by SailorTardis » Mon Nov 13, 2023 10:07 pm

This is just breathtaking. Very well done.
"Of course! Don't you know anything about science?"

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”