Any good converters for Asf?

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling your footage. If you have questions about capturing/ripping footage, AviSynth, or compression/encoding/converting, look here.

Any good converters for Asf?

Postby angelchanx3 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:56 pm

Well personally i find Asf the best file type to edit with.So does anyone know a converter that can convert stuff like avi,mpg or wmv to asf? ^^
angelchanx3

Re: Any good converters for Asf?

Postby Athena » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:47 am

What possible advantages could there be to editing in the .asf container? And on what platform (windows, I presume) and in what editor?
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby mirkosp » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:33 am

Really, the difference isn't in the container, but in the codec. Working with avi is fine, as long as the codecs in it are the right ones for editing (huffyuv or lagarith). Editing with lossy codecs is what causes issues.
mirkosp
MODkip

Postby angelchanx3 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:04 pm

Kionon wrote:What possible advantages could there be to editing in the .asf container? And on what platform (windows, I presume) and in what editor?

Well when i use them they dont lag like some other formats i tried. Sony vegas 8.0.

mirkosp wrote:Really, the difference isn't in the container, but in the codec. Working with avi is fine, as long as the codecs in it are the right ones for editing (huffyuv or lagarith). Editing with lossy codecs is what causes issues.

Ok then how do i convert Lossy codec.
angelchanx3

Postby Slash » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:56 pm

angelchanx3 wrote:
Kionon wrote:What possible advantages could there be to editing in the .asf container? And on what platform (windows, I presume) and in what editor?

Well when i use them they dont lag like some other formats i tried. Sony vegas 8.0.

mirkosp wrote:Really, the difference isn't in the container, but in the codec. Working with avi is fine, as long as the codecs in it are the right ones for editing (huffyuv or lagarith). Editing with lossy codecs is what causes issues.

Ok then how do i convert Lossy codec.

Download the AMVapp available for download in the AMV front page under useful files, install everything then open vdub import your footage by clicking "open video file"

and do this

Remember when saving to avi lagrith losseless codec to render in bits thus i'm showing you how to cut in to little pieces

After you have your desired scene choice selected you go to the "file" tab then go to save as, name your file and select the codec by clicking the "Change" option highlighted below and after that your done.

Slash

Return to Footage Help