Anime 404

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
BakaOppai
Org Profile

Anime 404

Post by BakaOppai » Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:42 am

Was waiting for the preview to show up but apparently there are some issues at the moment so I'll post this now.
A little reluctant to post this thread for the inevitable :awesome: drama that is sure to come so I'll just say this.
If I managed to offend anyone in anyway just say so and we'll go from there.

The sequel to the controversial AMV-Hell Styled Animu Stew!

I noticed a surge in AMV-Hell type videos after Animu Stew so it was obvious that I would have to step up my game.

Animu Stew took a week to make because I was on a deadline. When I decided to make a sequel I wanted to make what I thought Animu Stew should have been, given enough time. People commented on how most of the things in Animu Stew have been done before, so it gave me the idea for this video.

List of sources Referenced/ Parodied

First go at using After Effects, think I did OK for an amateur.

Start: August 1st, 2014
Finish: December 1st, 2014

1080p youtube link

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Re: Anime 404

Post by Shui » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:19 am

I loved the "My Body is telling me yeaahh"-Part, the other jokes weren't really my cup of tea.
I can see this being popular for a broader audience at cons though.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:53 am

The internet clearly loves it, it attracts people outside of the usual sphere of amv viewers which isn't such a bad thing.

Personally though, I do not like this type of video, It doesn't amuse me (maybe I'm old and boring? :lol: ) and if you don't find it funny theres nothing much else to it. Short gag then moving onto the next. Then again, I never did like amv hell either. From the editing point of view theres stuff people can complain about, especially the our tapes reference...mio is running from her friends, teleports to a new location to get ran over...it's not real enough.

Still, that's just me. I'd like to see you make more ''amv type'' videos then these ones. Still, good job. A lot of people like it and that's the main thing.

O, I did like the Luffy/Chopper bit though, that made me smile. I can actually imagine them doing something like that...it's perfect for them :awesome: .

BakaOppai
Org Profile

Post by BakaOppai » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:48 pm

AceD wrote:The internet clearly loves it, it attracts people outside of the usual sphere of amv viewers which isn't such a bad thing.

Personally though, I do not like this type of video, It doesn't amuse me (maybe I'm old and boring? :lol: ) and if you don't find it funny theres nothing much else to it. Short gag then moving onto the next. Then again, I never did like amv hell either. From the editing point of view theres stuff people can complain about, especially the our tapes reference...mio is running from her friends, teleports to a new location to get ran over...it's not real enough.

Still, that's just me. I'd like to see you make more ''amv type'' videos then these ones. Still, good job. A lot of people like it and that's the main thing.

O, I did like the Luffy/Chopper bit though, that made me smile. I can actually imagine them doing something like that...it's perfect for them :awesome: .
Thanks for your input Ace, I agree that the our tapes reference part was a little crude. I blurred out the background of her running so people wouldn't know that she's actually in the scene twice, meant for it just to be an environment. The crosswalk scene was honestly pretty brutal. I couldn't find the right scene to use so I had to create my own using like 6 different sources. Luckily it didn't last that long so I assumed most people wouldn't notice how rough it was. This video was a good experience, definitely learned a lot and will apply it to my next "normal" amv =]

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:39 pm

good on ya for listing the references :up:

I've seen this shared on my facebook page quite a few times already from anime (non-editor) friends so you've got a real winner on your hands. just don't enter a buttload of contests with it or you'll piss a lot of editors off :wink:

personally, I like this one a lot more than the animu stew. obviously because you put a lot more effort into it and the jokes are fleshed out more. from an editor's point of view it's very pandering, but from an audience point of view it's hysterical.

Shinzui IT
The sexy Artist
Org Profile

Post by Shinzui IT » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:17 am

Yes a great one indeed and like Rider4Z I liked this one better than animu stew as well. :up: :up: :up:

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:24 am

Wow. I can't believe it went that far that you had to make screenshots for every reference.

Oh well. I like it and thought it was original.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:24 am

I have to say, this was definately a step in the right direction in terms of being original as an editor, but as a comedic video it really lacks that depth that improves upon the humor of the original sources. Here's my thoughts:

Things you did right:
Parodies - The parodies pretty creative while adding some value for other AMV editors to enjoy and was original.
New Material - You actually sought out things to do that weren't already done so many times that it was just beating a dead horse.
Revisiting Jokes - You brought things back later on in the video to make it a more cohesive piece and forced a little bit of thought into the video.

What you need to improve on:
Joke/concept depth - This is an area you are most lacking in. For example, in Animu Stew a lot of the jokes in it had not only already been done, but the anime and audio pairings were much weaker than almost all the previously done pairing with that particular audio source. The ability to utilize the existing characterization and knowledge of the shows to your advantage really allows you as a video maker to add depth to the joke that will add more humor/meaning to the video. This is not necessary for most audience members as they will just laugh that their favorite show is paired to a funny audio source, but it really adds that much more in value when they see something they can understand further because they are a fan. I'm not saying face value humor is bad, but some audio sources can be squandered when they have the potential to be used deeper. Mastering this skill can also help to improve your videos in other genres as well as this tends to be one of your weakest areas across the board.

Overall I think you have a lot of technique skills as an editor and you definitely have your finger on the pulse of current anime trends, however I would like to see you utilize that skill and get beyond that popular anime crutch that newer editors tend to get into. This can really help you to maintain that following if your tastes ever deviate from the current popular trends and helps you to produce videos that will stand the test of time.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”