[VivifxAMV] Anime 101 - Best in Show Anime Boston 2014

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Org Profile

[VivifxAMV] Anime 101 - Best in Show Anime Boston 2014

Post by VivifxAMV » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:11 pm

After eight grueling months of work it's finally here. I present to you the 4th in my series of con stopping, creatively jampacked, meandering and majorly pandering videos - Anime 101!

This project was started shortly after PonyNote for Otakon 2013. I however quickly realized there was a lot I could do with this idea and needed more time on it. I eventually decided to defer it's release until Anime Boston 2014, where it took Best in Show.

There is probably a lot more I could do to clean this up on a whole, but I really am just done with it. As I spent a year on this project, I learned SO much making this. I considered my footage altering skills pretty decent before I started this, but a lot of what I wanted to do in this AMV forced me to step up. This is the first AMV of mine to use custom artistic assets (mainly backgrounds although there are a few drawn characters) created by me. This is also one of the first AMVs where I leaned heavily on after effects, and tried my hand at typography. This AMV have been a part of my life for close to a year and I look forward to using all that I learned with this project in future works. But it is time to let it go!

I wanted to make an AMV that was jam packed to the brim with easter eggs and goodies, as well as being successful to a con audience. In this I think I succeeded. As such I will be including links below to some of the behind the scenes material, including high res versions of the posters and tests, as well as a making of and a list of all the easter eggs.

I hope you enjoy this AMV. Seeing it live is quite amazing - It really drives crowds wild!

MAKING OF: http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy19 ... kingof.png
INDIVIDUAL POSTER AND TEST FILES: http://vivifx.tumblr.com/tagged/anime101AMV
EASTER EGG LIST : http://vivifx.tumblr.com/tagged/anime101AMV
WATCH IT LIVE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY4QNL_sgGI
YOUTUBE: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH8qIKg ... ure=gp-n-y
Last edited by VivifxAMV on Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Re: [VivifxAMV] Anime 101 - Best in Show Anime Boston 2014

Post by irriadin » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:30 pm

This video... so much effort. It's pretty incredible how much thought went into each scene, and just how much pure visual content is packed into it. Great job! :up: :up:

VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Org Profile

Post by VivifxAMV » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:37 pm

irriadin wrote:This video... so much effort. It's pretty incredible how much thought went into each scene, and just how much pure visual content is packed into it. Great job! :up: :up:
Why thank you dear. I'm glad you enjoyed it XD Have a Gandalf Emoji :sorcerer:
ImageImage

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:38 pm

The effort and pure otakuness is so abundant in this video it's almost ridiculous. I love your text work and subtle character crossovers (like kyon sitting down next to tomoya).
Spoiler :
the only thing that bothers me is, because the video moves so fast, it's really hard to catch all the insider jokes/easter eggs you put in there. it's very artistic, but the funny gets a little lost unless you pause and rewind.

VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Org Profile

Post by VivifxAMV » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:08 pm

Rider4Z wrote:The effort and pure otakuness is so abundant in this video it's almost ridiculous. I love your text work and subtle character crossovers (like kyon sitting down next to tomoya).
Spoiler :
the only thing that bothers me is, because the video moves so fast, it's really hard to catch all the insider jokes/easter eggs you put in there. it's very artistic, but the funny gets a little lost unless you pause and rewind.
Thanks Rider! As to your comment I wanted it to be both visually stimulating but also something that encourages you to revisit it at a later time and pause. I think I succeeded in this, however if I could go back and do it again I might pick a slower mix. That being said the song is so much fun at convetions and really gets the crowd going. It was definitely a give and take. I don't know if I will ever do something this text heavy in the future. However when I saw it on the big screen this past weekend at Boston - the crowd still seemed to really enjoy it and catch the more broad jokes (which is what I wanted XD)
ImageImage

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:08 pm

congrats on your success! XD best of show on its debut is quite a feat. and at boston no less!

Kisanzi
Why I likes so much?
Org Profile

Post by Kisanzi » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:00 am

As an AMV viewer/fan, this is a really fun video. You have a great idea here with some great jokes and I respect the amount of time and effort you invested to realize your concept.

But as an AMV editor/technical standpoint, this video wrenches my heart at points. I respect all the effort that went in for the rotos and composition the classroom, but the lighting and color on the characters themselves is drastically contrasting. Some characters appear washed out since they came from outdoor scenes and they clash with the characters from dark/indoor scenes. And a bit more attention to the direction of the light glints/shadows on the characters in the same scenes would smooth things out as well. It is a bit nitpicky of me, and I know you said that you already said you could've worked more on it, but I keep picturing how even more amazing this would look with more color correction/lighting adjustments >.<

But I digress, I only mention the issue I have with the video since I like it so much. The video is perfectly watchable as it is and I realize you've been working hard on it for a long time. So let me say again, kudos on the vid and I just want you to know that I enjoy many of your vids because of their creativity and heart, and this one is no exception. And congrats on the win! :up:

VivifxAMV
Crazed Creativity
Org Profile

Post by VivifxAMV » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:18 am

Kisanzi wrote:As an AMV viewer/fan, this is a really fun video. You have a great idea here with some great jokes and I respect the amount of time and effort you invested to realize your concept.

But as an AMV editor/technical standpoint, this video wrenches my heart at points. I respect all the effort that went in for the rotos and composition the classroom, but the lighting and color on the characters themselves is drastically contrasting. Some characters appear washed out since they came from outdoor scenes and they clash with the characters from dark/indoor scenes. And a bit more attention to the direction of the light glints/shadows on the characters in the same scenes would smooth things out as well. It is a bit nitpicky of me, and I know you said that you already said you could've worked more on it, but I keep picturing how even more amazing this would look with more color correction/lighting adjustments >.<

But I digress, I only mention the issue I have with the video since I like it so much. The video is perfectly watchable as it is and I realize you've been working hard on it for a long time. So let me say again, kudos on the vid and I just want you to know that I enjoy many of your vids because of their creativity and heart, and this one is no exception. And congrats on the win! :up:
Thanks Kisanzi! And yeah I know how you feel. When I started this project I really had no idea how to go about a lot of the stuff I wanted to do - and by the end I had such a better grasp on it. I wanted to go back and fix...well everything - but I felt ready to release this project. Due to my work flow in earlier parts of the video (ie merging photoshop layers and not using after effects for some of the comps) I would have to entirely redo sections of my video to fix the color correction. I don't know why I didn't consider CC until about 7 months in - but that's why some of the rotos look a hell of a lot better than others. At least now I have a better idea how to do it in the future for other stuff :/ I understand why they tell you not to use your best ideas on learning new things - because in some ways you have to sacrifice the epicness that it could be. However no regrets! I think this AMV will do well and will be fun for audiences everywhere. And it gives me a chance to move on and take my newfound skills into bigger and brighter things.
ImageImage

blaksun
The one and lonely ... only
Org Profile

Post by blaksun » Thu Mar 27, 2014 2:48 am

I enjoy the socks off it :up:
Spoiler :
but i cant help fell that the flow in the first 1min-1.30min is off :uhoh:
and it is more like how many carters can i cram in to this :roll:
... good work |:>
Text endless companions so foe raid ones and even less that makes sense :)

Diegao
Enjoy the music
Org Profile

Post by Diegao » Thu Mar 27, 2014 8:37 am

I agree with Kisanzi about the technical stuff, video looks too much artificial. I don't usually like this kind of videos, but I have to say that I enjoyed this one! Congratulations :shark:
Rising Production: Site - Forum - Facebook - Twitter

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”