In your opinion, how long does it take to make a great AMV?

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime Music Videos.

In your opinion, how long does it take to make a great AMV?

Postby illninofan » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:22 am

I've seen people take as long as 8 months to make great AMVs (albiet with Windows Movie Maker), and I've seen people churn them out on a weekly basis and achieve five star quality every time.

Probably a noobish question, :oops: , but what do you all think? Is time really even a factor?

Thank you.
illninofan

Re: In your opinion, how long does it take to make a great A

Postby LantisEscudo » Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:53 am

It takes as long as it takes for you to achieve what you're looking to do. If what you want is simple technically, it can go quite quickly. If what you want requires painstaking rotoscoping work, it can take a while.

It's not about how much time is invested, but more about what you're trying to acomplish.
LantisEscudo

Postby Radical_Yue » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:35 am

LantisEscudo wrote:It takes as long as it takes for you to achieve what you're looking to do. If what you want is simple technically, it can go quite quickly. If what you want requires painstaking rotoscoping work, it can take a while.

It's not about how much time is invested, but more about what you're trying to acomplish.

This and it also depends on the speed of the editor. Ileia can churn a video that would take me a month to make, in only a week.

There really is no set limit. :P
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose

Postby WolfandAngel » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:02 am

It really depends on how prepared you are for instance: i got a anime and want to make a amv out of it I spend about 8-10 hour looking for music. I got music and spend a lot of time looking and researching anime. In the end it still takes lots of time. In the end its done when its done.
"Luck is what occurs when opportunity meets preparation." Seneca
WolfandAngel

Postby HalOfBorg » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:09 am

It depends on what type you're working on.

I made my award winning AMV "Anibad" in one afternoon total. Maybe just a couple hours.

It's easy to do sloppy work.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
HalOfBorg

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:44 am

There's also something gained in experience. If you edit 10-20 videos a year, you become so familiar with it that you start getting faster. 1 or 2 a year? You have to re-train your self on how everything works each time.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Bauzi » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:19 pm

This is such an naiv question D:

42 days, months or years of course!
Bauzi

Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)

Postby TritioAFB » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:38 pm

normally 3 months is enough
Making AMVs by day, Going to Gym by Night
TritioAFB
Ambassador of the AMVWorld

Postby Rider4Z » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:55 pm

they take as long as they take. more time doesn't necessarily mean more stars. it's all about content and quality. and each person edits at a different speed - some can sit for 12 straight hours editing while others break it up to 2 at a time.

focus on quality. don't worry about time. :bear:

as for me, a typical amv from me takes from 1 to 3 weeks to produce. however i have created a few in a couple days while others multiple months, both sides depended on my vision and neither necessarily produced more stars than the others.

something else to consider, taking time to step back from a project and refresh your viewpoint can be highly productive. in other words, if you think you're done, take a week away from it, then come back. you'll find new things to "fix".
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Anime Conji AMV Contest Coordinator
Anime Vegas AMV Contest Co-coordinator
Rider4Z
Pirate King

Postby illninofan » Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:28 am

Rider4Z wrote:they take as long as they take. more time doesn't necessarily mean more stars. it's all about content and quality. and each person edits at a different speed - some can sit for 12 straight hours editing while others break it up to 2 at a time.

focus on quality. don't worry about time. :bear:

as for me, a typical amv from me takes from 1 to 3 weeks to produce. however i have created a few in a couple days while others multiple months, both sides depended on my vision and neither necessarily produced more stars than the others.

something else to consider, taking time to step back from a project and refresh your viewpoint can be highly productive. in other words, if you think you're done, take a week away from it, then come back. you'll find new things to "fix".

Yeah, I'm only beginning in my whole AMV excrusion, and thus far I've only made a few (albeit with WMM), and yes when I step back and watch the project, I'll find myself seeing something there that I didn't see before, or coming up with an idea that I hadn't before.

I kind of realized before I even made the topic that time really shouldn't be a factor as it goes with any "art" project. I guess I wanted to know specifically as it pertains to AMVs.

Nonetheless, after years of watching other people's works and visiting this site countless times, it's fun to finally jump in and get my hands dirty. :lol:
illninofan

Postby Rider4Z » Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:54 pm

illninofan21 wrote:I kind of realized before I even made the topic that time really shouldn't be a factor as it goes with any "art" project. I guess I wanted to know specifically as it pertains to AMVs.

Nonetheless, after years of watching other people's works and visiting this site countless times, it's fun to finally jump in and get my hands dirty. :lol:

asking questions is always good. hearing other people's opinions can always spark new ideas. and welcome to the fray :shark:
Image Image Image
Image Image Image
Anime Conji AMV Contest Coordinator
Anime Vegas AMV Contest Co-coordinator
Rider4Z
Pirate King

Postby zibbazabba905 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:11 pm

find videos you like and ask the creator how long it took, and you start to see how long it takes to do somethings [/cannedresponce]

2x on the learning and experience makes it take way longer in the beginning. Kyubeystwood was actually "finished" about a year before it came out, but then it took me the whole year to rotoscope the 30 seconds it has rotoscoping in it, however the one right after it, (Does anyone here remember..) took 15 minutes total and overall has more feels per second than anything I've made...actually I think its my best work...
"Uhmmm... You know... it was at that point that I realized that maybe Thierry wasn't actually a film maker, and he was maybe just someone with mental problems who happened to have a camera. " -Banksy
zibbazabba905

Postby AMV_4000 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 11:36 am

2-10 hours... some of my best/most awarded videos were made in that time frame...
AMV_4000

Postby lloyd9988 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:41 pm

I think enjoyment plays a role in the time it takes to make a good AMV as well. Like... if your enjoying what your doing, then it may not seem like it'll take so long but, you know... people try so hard to make like THE GREATEST AMV EVAR MADE!!!! and its like they think they need to edit for hours on end and stress themselves out to like prove a point or whatever...

I think I learned that the best AMV I made so far was with Mkid when we both learned that we didn't really care what we were making just as long as we were having fun. In essence, it only took us like 2 weeks to make the AMV where... usually... I stress myself out on making something amazing but I never have anything to show. But... mostly, I think its all a matter of personal editing preference. You can spend like a year on making something amazing... or just like spend a week making something you enjoy. But, personally, I wouldn't try to make something amazing until you learn to have fun with it first. :P
~Yo~
lloyd9988

Postby ZephyrStar » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:45 am

I tend to take a long time. I think a lot of it is planning things out. Actually making the thing doesn't take that long.
ZephyrStar
Master of Science

Next

Return to General AMV