Amvs 5-10 years from now

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Senta
Org Profile

Post by Senta » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:23 pm

Castor Troy wrote: How long do you plan on making amvs?

Until the RIAA arrests me. 8-)
Now that's HARDCORE!

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:40 pm

i don't see myself making amvs 2 years from now... unless if i fail out of whatever post-grad school i attend or get rejected by everyone i apply to... i do plan at least another year of amvs though.
i suspect AMVs will wane in popularity, as the anime industry/art form itself evolves. but it probably won't happen for many years. riaa legal actions could also hurt the popularity and force it underground, but it will never die out.

but i'll be watching amvs to my grave.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

genestarwind21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Re: Amvs 5-10 years from now

Post by genestarwind21122 » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:08 pm

Do you see yourself making amvs 5-10years from now?

Yes I do see myself making amv's in 5 to 10 years from now.

Do you think amvs will die out?

I don't think amv's will die out. I agree that it will reach a certain max and stuff because of legality issues. Also I agree that it depends on the org. But if the org is no more (knock on wood that it shouldn't go away) but if it does there are other site like file planet and stuff where you can upload your videos and well just reorganize somehow.

How long do you plan on making amvs?.

I plan on making amvs as long as I have free time at night. I will continue making amv's as long as I have interest and I'm not forcing my ideas when I'm creating them. I have ton of ideas and will be continuing for a long time. I've just begun to create worthy amvs of conventions and the feeling that you get when you see your video on the big screen for the first time is even more inspiration. It is probably the same or even more inspiration than the first time you saw an amv saying hey I want to do that. At least for me I continue to make amvs for fun. It is also pride when you create it and when you see your video on the big screen your like wow I actually made that video or in some other peoples cases are like well it is a popular video but what was I thinking. It is the experience you get out of it. As long as it is there and something you want to strive for I'm going to continue.

Bulghod
Org Profile

Post by Bulghod » Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:36 pm

I know i will be more than likely toying with video. whether or not it's with anime involved is unsure, but i don't think you guys would mind some 30-yr-old freek putting up an AMV once in a blue moon
it's popularity may wax and wane, but i can't see it dying out completely.

How long you plan on making amvs?. as long as i'm into it.

rubyeye
Org Profile

Post by rubyeye » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:27 pm

As long as I find inspiration in some of my favorite musical artists, and there's an anime I really like (that works well with it) - I'll still be making videos. Sporatically though it may be, I'll still be making ... something :)

Unless the RIAA sticks its nose in our "hobby" AND/OR Anime Conventions stop supporting AMV contests, interest in amvs will continue to grow for years and years (unless anime itself looses it's novelty).

How long you plan on making amvs?.
For the short term, I only have 3 more projects planned, then it's off to learn other things like DVD authoring and maybe rebuilding my website again using Flash. So maybe another year or two. After that . . .

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:44 pm

No, but I'm optimistic. I don't want to be in the same place 6 years from now. If I am, I'll probably still be making amvs. If I'm not in the same place, I won't have time for amvs. I have hopes to make fan parody vids eventually (animated fanart, think unofficial hentai videos ;p ). But I don't see fanvids as amvs any more than I consider doujinshi as manga.

Amvs as *I* know them are already dying out. Less than 2 yrs and there are fewer and fewer of what I call anime music videos [emphasis on anime]. If you want hard-core, easily proven/disproven predictions...

Large online communities distributing amvs (including IRC channels) will go completely underground within 8 years. Those that are slow in adapting will die expensive deaths.

Amv contests at conventions will be severely limited within 5 years. Public sharing of copywritten material will be limited to videos using 'agreed-upon' anime and songs. Nothing else will be accepted. Some editors will bow to this, others will boycott the restrictions for the ideal of amvs as 'art'.

American anime fans will still be making videos in private 15 years from now, with easier access to equipment and music, and very limited access to anime due to new import laws.

In 20 years, the buzz over amvs being 'illegal' will die down again and new creators will rediscover the fun of matching anime footage to music.

In 35 years the United States will be so busy making new laws for the ruling class, no one will care about some kids stealing clips from a Japanese dvd.

At least another year, probably 3 more years. I would like to be finished using 'premade' footage within 1.5 years. It really depends on whether or not I get hooked on a new series that keeps me occupied for half a year. Barring new 'mini-obsessions,' I'll be done with amvs in a year or two. ^_^;

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Post by GloryQuestor » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:03 pm

Since I'm an out-of-college guy with a complex, full-time job, I don't know, but I hope to be. :)

Who knows? If someone from the RIAA points his/her finger at the AMV community and says "Die!", is that necessarily a "Power Word - Kill"? (I don't think so.)

AMVs will most likely be around as long as the music and animation industry thrives. The more music and animation out there, the more great ideas will surface. :)

As long as I have the free time to. But, I'm getting older and getting more responsibility at work, so my free time might start to dry up at any time.
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:08 pm

I'll stop making videos the day flxumeister and I have a catalog of equal size.

devilmaykickass
Org Profile

Post by devilmaykickass » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:29 pm

God, I hope not. I really hope I have other things to do....even though I'm slowly letting go of the hobby already.

See Arigatomina's post.

I never planned on making them in the first place, and I never plan my projects. It just takes me being very bored and not feeling like doing anything else. If I suddenly feel like going to vid editing as a last resort for entertainment, thats what I go to.

I want a career in making stuff like commercials and movie trailers. I suppose anime trailers would be kind of like AMVs, but I dunno. I still don't know what I want to do with my life.

But for now making AMV's remains a hobby of mine. =)

tuathaanwarrior
Org Profile

Post by tuathaanwarrior » Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:55 pm

Ive never really looked far into the future so i have no clue what i will be doin.

If anything could decrease the popularity of amvs, its prolly what was mentioned already: the RIAA

As for when I stop, i think that will be the moment its stops being somehting i do for fun.

Return to “General AMV”