Are My AMVs Even That Good? Or Am I Underestimating Myself?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
ShadowCore89
Org Profile

Are My AMVs Even That Good? Or Am I Underestimating Myself?

Post by ShadowCore89 » Mon Jul 11, 2016 7:46 pm

So, I started making AMVs last year and I feel I have improved my skills since the first one I made a long while ago. sSince then I have upgraded to adobe premiere elements from windows movie maker and over time have accumulated more views on my videos and subscribers for my channel (137 atm). I have been told numerous times by both friends and viewers that my AMVs are incredibly good and that I have a talent for editing, although It feels good to get such praise, I myself feel like I am just average, if I were to score my amv's they would probably all be around the 6-8 range. The reason I am asking this now is because when I Volunteered at my local anime convention, Otafest, earlier this month, I popped in to see the finalists and winners of the AMV contest, it was a wonderful experience seeing so many wonderfully made (and synced XD) amvs, even a few I recognized. I suddenly felt guilty and ashamed of myself for not even attempting to submit any of my AMVs, because at the time I felt they were not nearly as good enough, yet seeing those AMVs on stage and listening about the editors themselves gave me a spike of determination to one day be up there as well. So, I am basically wondering if I am being to hard on my own abilities and if I should be confident enough to give next years contest a shot!

I am not sure if I am allowed to link my channel, but if you want to get to it, its the exact same name as the one I have here.

Ochinchin AMVs
Org Profile

Re: Are My AMVs Even That Good? Or Am I Underestimating Myself?

Post by Ochinchin AMVs » Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:22 pm

Here's the answer, courtesy of King Redeem:

Ore wa Ochinchin ga daisuku nandayo!

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:36 pm

Go for it. Also many of the editors who enter contests and stuff are pretty approachable and will help others to improve and grow, so even if you aren't so confident now, you'll quickly gain the skills and confidence and be ready next time.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Jul 14, 2016 4:24 pm

I think the attitude you have is the attitude every editor should have. Constantly questioning your own abilities is only going to push you to better yourself (so long as it's within reason...like, if you're too hard on yourself that can be way unhealthy). It also keeps you humble, which is probably more important than anything when you're in a competitive field of any kind.

That said, I watched your most recent video Reverie and fricking loved it (and this coming from someone who finds himself getting sick of YLIA videos). It wasn't perfect -- the choruses needed way more editing and more variation in the content of the scenes you chose (just people playing their instruments...got old after a while), but the upbeat and happy mood is such a relief from all the other YLIA videos that are sad and mopey, and you really captured that well.

This isn't necessarily the type of video I could see winning in a large contest, but then you have to ask yourself why you edit -- are you editing for contests or just to make something you want to see made? Sometimes the two things intersect and when they do it's awesome, but often (at least for me personally) the type of video I like and want to edit is not the type of video that would do well in a contest, and that's ok.

In any case, continue to work at it and don't be afraid to enter your videos into contests -- just don't place your self-worth as an editor on the success of those videos in said contests. You can be a "good" editor and not be an editor that wins in contests -- the two things are typically not related in the least. But, truth be told, winning or even just seeing your video play at a contest can act as a huge motivator to edit more and improve. Just make sure that when you improve, you're moving in a direction that will help you make the videos you want to see made, not what others want you to make.

Fall_Child42
has a rock
Org Profile

Post by Fall_Child42 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:36 pm

all of my videos are exactly as good as they needed to be.

seasons
Org Profile

Post by seasons » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:07 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:That said, I watched your most recent video Reverie and fricking loved it (and this coming from someone who finds himself getting sick of YLIA videos)
No, this wasn't perfect, but it was also NOT all of the things that I've gotten so tired of when it comes to YLIA videos (and that, like, 4 out of 5 editors seem to do in the exact same way every time I try to watch one). I really liked the simple cuts and transitions in this, I liked how it ebbs and flows and slowly builds in intensity. There are a couple turning points in the song that he/she really nails and uses as opportunities to create these emotional turning points that give the whole video a shape.

I picked another video at random and was surprised by how thoughtful it was concerning its source material. And yeah, I say that even though it's an action video that doesn't try to be anything else (2 of the longer fight scenes went on longer than I'd care for but whatever) and I don't even like the music in it but it definitely surpassed my expectations.
ShadowCore89 wrote:The reason I am asking this now is because when I Volunteered at my local anime convention, Otafest, earlier this month, I popped in to see the finalists and winners of the AMV contest, it was a wonderful experience seeing so many wonderfully made (and synced XD) amvs, even a few I recognized. I suddenly felt guilty and ashamed of myself for not even attempting to submit any of my AMVs, because at the time I felt they were not nearly as good enough, yet seeing those AMVs on stage and listening about the editors themselves gave me a spike of determination to one day be up there as well. So, I am basically wondering if I am being to hard on my own abilities and if I should be confident enough to give next years contest a shot!
Just as far as the two AMVs of yours that I've watched so far, if I saw them at a convention I probably wouldn't have the slightest idea about whether they were made by someone who was a beginner (or considered themselves a beginner) or a veteran editor who'd been doing this a long time. And I'd probably feel good about watching them in a setting like that because I think they're pretty well-suited for that kind of viewing experience. I don't know if they'd win awards or not but like CrackTheSky said -- or maybe I'll just put words in his mouth, that's fine too -- winning or losing doesn't have to be what it's all about. What do you want to make, anyway?

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Fri Jul 15, 2016 3:01 am

I agree, it's always good to question yourself, it's how you get better. But at the same time don't bog yourself down with a need to win if you do submit to a con. In the end you should be editing for you and making the videos you want to make, no matter what praise or accolades you receive.
ImageImageImageImage

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Post by Mol » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:23 am

All amvs are bad, some just tinker with your fooling you to enjoy, its a sublimal message to control ur lyfe. we r amvnymous .expect uz.
Still better than that MMO.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Jul 31, 2016 1:37 pm

What Ochinchin said.

Also, don't enter just one contest. Enter several. How you fare in one contest may be completely different than another.

Return to “General AMV”