Any advice with American airline companies?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
surfsama
Org Profile

Post by surfsama » Wed May 28, 2008 9:19 pm

This is probably more than you asked for but if it helps save a few bucks...

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/atcr08.htm

As for personal experiences, read my vent.
Hide the Cheese Whiz

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Wed May 28, 2008 9:44 pm

If at all possible mail your shit ahead of you. Find someone in the US who's going that you trust and fedex your crap to them. If you don't trust anyone over here then some hotels will accept and hold packages for you provided you have a reservation but I'd check with the hotel first on that. The hassle of not going through checking in, and losing, your luggage is worth it. It also makes security easier if you just have a small carry on bag without much in it as well. Then there's the fragility issue, fedex is generally kinder to boxes than airlines are to luggage. Do the same on your way back, last stop before hitting the airport and going home should be a fedex store to send all your crap to your home.

Don't pack toothpaste, shampoo, and other crap like that. It's easier to just stop by a walmart at your destination and pick up that stuff. If you think about it some you might even be able to get away without packing a full set of cloths. You planning on buying a t-shirt at the con? That's one less you gotta pack.

wurpess
rabid fangirl
Org Profile

Post by wurpess » Wed May 28, 2008 9:58 pm

Effective June 15th, American Airlines will be charging for 1st checked bag. Not sure if it applies to you or not. But reading the guidelines on what they do and don't charge for, it sounds like if you went with them, you would at least be paying for checked baggage coming in. (But it sounds like you would be ok leaving. Unless you just put everything in a carry-on. Then you're fine.) I was ok with Northwest, but if they merged with Delta, then I don't know. (Didn't really like Delta. :?) I don't think I've ever flown with Continental. Though I think Godix's idea(s) is probably best luggage-wise.
ImageImage

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Wed May 28, 2008 10:13 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:speaking of TSA be sure to look up all the rules on liquids and other items allowed on the plane/carry on... or just buy your shampoo/toothpaste etc at your destination because you are only allowed travel size products in a 1 quart zip lock bag in the usa... make sure you put them in the ziplock too..
I really don't get why someone would bring toothpaste or shampoo or the like ON the plane. Most flights aren't nearly long enough to suggest things like that to be necessary/useful.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed May 28, 2008 11:10 pm

Kitsuner wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:speaking of TSA be sure to look up all the rules on liquids and other items allowed on the plane/carry on... or just buy your shampoo/toothpaste etc at your destination because you are only allowed travel size products in a 1 quart zip lock bag in the usa... make sure you put them in the ziplock too..
I really don't get why someone would bring toothpaste or shampoo or the like ON the plane. Most flights aren't nearly long enough to suggest things like that to be necessary/useful.
So they don't have to check a bag and risk having it disappear? I know plenty of people that go on short trips with just a carry-on bag so they don't have to deal with the airlines losing their luggage.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Wed May 28, 2008 11:29 pm

I'd also advise avoiding a US airline if you can. It doesn't happen often, but they've been known to land on the 101st floor. Quite impractical if you ask me.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed May 28, 2008 11:40 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:So they don't have to check a bag and risk having it disappear? I know plenty of people that go on short trips with just a carry-on bag so they don't have to deal with the airlines losing their luggage.
thats what I do for cons and such.

Douggie
CHEESECAKE!
Org Profile

Post by Douggie » Thu May 29, 2008 12:51 am

Thanks for the advice/stories, people! I know I probably won't be having enough with one bag as I'm staying 2.5 weeks in the US. And I probably have to bring back souvenirs for people. :) And yeah, I'll take a sturdy bag!

The problem is that I have to take an American airline company, because I'll be flying from Amsterdam to New York. Then fly from New York to Atlanta (I come one day earlier, because I wanna see the Georgia Aquarium :D). Then drive with you guys from Atlanta to Chicago. Then fly from Chicago back to Amsterdam. If don't use an American airline company, it'll cost me at least 1300 EUROs, which I find very expensive to do so - and for flights within the USA, there will be no other choice anyway.

Expedia shows me: American Airlines: 602, Continental: 680, United: 736 and Northwest: 962. Orbitz gives a few other options, including British Airways or BMI mixed with American Airlines. Also Delta for 703. As for now I tend to go with Continental or Delta, because it seems like (mostly) everybody is avoiding American Airlines here :P and 2 of the 3 flights are non-stop.
Otohiko wrote: It's generally advised that if you fly through the US, you avoid Atlanta and Chicago (lol, ironic considering where the cons are).
Hmmm, that's the two airports I will be using! :O But my trip back to Amsterdam is most likely not going to be non-stop, so I have a choice of a few cities I have to stop to. I heard in the north they are stricter with checking, so there's a chance you might miss the plane (I heard 2 hours is just not enough to transfer planes), so I tend to choose going back through Atlanta instead of Newark or Cincinnati. So I don't know if that's still a bad choice?
Nessephanie wrote:(btw, are you flying into Chicago and driving down with us? (Brad, Jay and all of us) or are you flying directly into Atlanta? I can't remember hehe :3)
Hehe, it's both flying and driving with you guys! :D see up
Coffee 54 wrote:2) If your checking a bag, use TSA approved locks.
Thanks for the info! I'll check them out! But do they break open each bag or did you have something suspicious looking in your bag? :O

Oh yeah, another question: anybody having experience with Expedia or Orbitz?

Nessephanie
Cookie Monster
Org Profile

Post by Nessephanie » Thu May 29, 2008 3:45 am

otay! I wasn't sure if you were driving down and back, or just back ^^

As for opening your bag, the only times it's happened to me is when I've packed my laptop in my checked bag. I guess a large metal object is suspicious >_>

Copycat_Revolver
Mad Scientist
Org Profile

Post by Copycat_Revolver » Thu May 29, 2008 7:25 am

Screw all that nonsense, I'll be taking a bus to awa.

...uh. :uhoh:

Return to “General Discussion”