3D effect...

nekoinabox
Org Profile

Post by nekoinabox » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:28 pm

AE unfortunately doesn't support actual 3d models, though it does have a 3d mode. It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.

Think of a 3d render just as another footage sample. If you want to composite a 3d animation from MAYA or MAX onto footage, then it's up to you to synch the cameras and key out the bg.

It's possible to create large 3d environments in AE, though you're not going to get much realism - it's a lot better suited for a stylized feel. I've used it to make pop-up book and comic style animations. I've also used it to make a car "drive" down a road into the distance, since it's harder to get the quadratic just right with keyframes and curves.

Sorry, I know this probably wasn't much help. Maybe I could help more if you'd tell exactly what you're trying to do.

edit: Actually, Autodesk does sell a video editing software called Combustion. I've heard it's less functional than AE, but probably not enough to affect an AMV. If it can use the MAYA or MAX render engine you might be able to actually import your 3d model in.

lister007
Org Profile

Post by lister007 » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:54 pm

I know its not the most popular choice, and to be honest there are better programs, but I use Maxon Cinema 4d, you can import almost every aspect of your composition into after effects. It is I think a pretty hard program to use. People complain it is not intuitive and is slow, but I think its great. Also, check here

You could also consider zaxwerks if you would prefer to stay within after effects.
Spatchcock..........A dressed and split chicken for roasting or grilling on a spit.
Bring it
Berserk or crazy...??? (image shack sucks will have a banner for this too when it doesn't!)

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:22 pm

/plugs Blender, which will cost you nothing to legally download

Return to “Effects & Techniques”