Sleep

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Shazzy
Org Profile

Sleep

Post by Shazzy » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:37 pm

Do you get enough? Do you take sleeping pills? Are you on a regular schedule or does sleep happen when it happens?

Personally, I usually go to bed 11-midnight. I've also been taking OTC sleeping pills for quite a while now. Started my freshman year of college when I had that "wow, this ain't high school" moment and realized I needed a solid night's sleep to function the next day. I did try relaxation techniques before the meds, but I'd still end up lying in bed for 3-5 hours until I fell asleep out of pure boredom...
AMV guides for Mac users
DOWNLOAD THIS AMV
Quarter-life crisis: a sense that everyone is, somehow, doing better than you.

requiett
Org Profile

Post by requiett » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:07 pm

I sleep like a fucking machine.

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:06 pm

And I fuck like a sleeping machine. 8-)
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:10 pm

I stopped sleeping in college for the same reason. It wasn't highschool. I didn't have to go to "school" all day through, there was no mom griping if I was up all night, and hello what do you know night classes. This was the same time I discovered the internet. As a tech student I could get access to their computer room any time I wanted - so I did. From midnight to 6am I was in there.

Then summer time came and I was in the 'morning cleaning crew' - a single janitor in a large empty amusement park from 2am to 8am. That went well with my 'don't sleep' routine.

I got my own computer and internet access when I went back to school, but the night classes and weekend night cleaning lasted a few more months. By then I was used to functioning on 3 to 4 hours of sleep, stolen at whatever hour I could get enough quiet in my shared college apartment to sleep.

Now I get a horrible sinus headache if I sleep more than 5 hours. I can do it, don't get me wrong. If no one wakes me up on the weekend I'll crash some time early Sunday morning and sleep for 18+ hours. During the week I automatically wake up after 4 or 5 hours, usually at 5 am, but I can go back to sleep if I want to.

I've always wanted to try a sleeping pill, but I figure the headache will be worse if I'm woken up right after I take it. Much worse if I take it when I'm exhausted. That 18 hours could turn into a day providing no one wakes me up.

I sleep when I have to. I view it as an obligatory annoying bodily function like using the bathroom. Only difference is I don't have to worry about ruining my kidney if I put it off for a day. ;p What's the worse sleep deprivation does? Makes you crazy. Halucinations. Memory loss. It's worth getting a few more lucid hours to each day.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:37 pm

Funny you should ask.

I sleep well when I sleep, and I don't have any problems falling asleep most of the time. As long as there's a proper bed and there isn't 50 people yelling around me (and even then sometimes) I can drift off to sleep and it's really hard to wake me up. My best sleep tends to be dreamless, and if noone tries to wake me up and there's nothing to worry about the following day - I'll easily snooze off for as long as, oh, 14 hours. Just like that. I've established that 11 hours is what I need to have the "awesome, that was a good sleep" feeling.

However... with work/school pushing, and with my ever-present hobbies and distractions pulling, I often choose not to sleep and suffer horribly for it, heh. Last week I may have averaged about 4 hours/night. The rest of it I survive on coffee and dozing off at every opportunity (on the bus, for example).

But those aren't the problems.

The problem is when I sleep. And by virtue of habit, I've developed a wonderfully screwed up schedule. In the last year I've been going to sleep somewhere between 3 and 6am in the morning, to wake up around 2pm (unless I have things to do before it). How I ended up that way have no idea :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:58 pm

i sleep during the "day time" (atleast in my timezone O.o)

SarahtheBoring
Org Profile

Post by SarahtheBoring » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:07 pm

Oh god, I love sleep. I am so much clearer-headed and together when I get enough sleep. Naturally, I hardly ever do. I don't have a sexily named disorder; I just tend not to go to bed until too late, because subconsciously I am scrambling for more time in today. It feels wasted, I haven't gotten enough done, and this stresses me out so I can't give up and accept that the day was a failure. Sundays are especially bad because I don't want to go back to work.

And then I get stressed out because I don't have enough time to sleep - it's like being rushed in anything else. And for me trying to sleep + stress = sleepwalking. Which is also not all that interesting/impressive in practice. Like "waking up" several times thinking it's morning, sitting up and wandering around the room before finally deciphering what those numbers on the clock actually mean. It sucks.

When all that crap isn't coming down, it's awesome. In fact, I should get going now, instead of doing more photoshopping for a video. -_-;

I also love dreaming. Even if it doesn't make any sense, which is often, it's fun in its random WTFness.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:32 pm

I can go for a long time with little or no sleep or I can sleep for 13 hours straight, it only depends on my level of activity. If I get really bored, I get sleepy. If I have something to keep me entertained, I'll stay up and keep at whatever it is. So if you're ever around me and I start getting sleepy, it's because you're boring. :P

I tend to have more stamina when I work more which is weird. It's like I know that I have less free time, so I can't waste it sleeping. I'd regularly sleep 2-4 hours a night when I worked double shifts and I'd be fine all day long. But if I work a regular amount of hours or less then I just get bored with so much free time and sleep more.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Orwell
godx, Son of godix
Org Profile

Post by Orwell » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:38 am

What is this refreshing night of sleep? I can't remember the last time I went to sleep and felt refreshed. I feel like I just pissed away all my free time on laying there.
Latest
[Kristyrat]: Vote for Orwell
[Kristyrat]: because train conducters are dicks.
Otohiko: whereas Germans are like "god we are all so horrible, we're going to die a pointless death now."

Nessephanie
Cookie Monster
Org Profile

Post by Nessephanie » Tue Apr 03, 2007 12:49 am

I love sleep. I love sleep so much :3
I never want to go to bed, but once I'm in it, I just wanna sleep foreeeeever hehe.

Naw, I like to get a solid 9-10 hours a night if I can, but I can survive off alot less, or sometimes don't mind just sleeping for alot more :3
I do have a problem going to bed before 1am though...it just seems wrong to go to bed so early...unless I'm with someone, or uber tired...

Return to “General Discussion”