The Otakon 2015 Mega-thread

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
dragontamer5788
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2015 Mega-thread

Post by dragontamer5788 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:21 am

Thanks to this post on Twitter for bringing forth the contest sheet:

Its been a few hours, so I am going to do this off the top of my head. Apologies if I get something wrong.

Trailer / Parody:
2nd Place: Project: Steins;Gate / Corsair
1st Place: Nekos & Inus Trailer / MycathatesyouAMV

Drama / Serious:
2nd Place: Call to Arms / Nekokitkat
1st Place: When I See You Again / Drabaz

Action:
2nd Place: Transmutayshun / Ileia
1st Place: THROWBACK / BecauseImBored (Also Iron Editor winner)

Romance/Sentimental
2nd Place: Maybe / VivifxAMV
1st Place: The Sound of my <3 / Warlike Cygnet

Upbeat / Dance
2nd Place: Yato's God Complex / Rider4Z
1st Place: A Salty Stick / BakaOppai

Comedy
2nd Place: Hot Dog Condom Style / MammiKunniaan
1st Place: Yup, Still Single / Parodic Productions

Best Overflow: ??? I forgot :-( It's not on the contest list. It was the Yurikuma Arashi anime though
Vik's Pick: Let It Let It Chopper / SuperJujuAwesome
Best in Show: / alexmichur00

---------------

As promised, I've already begged alexmichur00 to put my name onto the AMV. Oh yeah baby.

I thought this was a great contest btw. But I'll want to give specific shoutouts to the following videos for entertaining me greatly.

* Floating in a Tin Can / Under the Box Productions -- Creepy and weird, but that's anime right? I never heard this particular cover of "Rocket Man" / Space Oddity, but it was great and worked.
* All That Matters / BasharOfTheAges -- Pretty much the only video that represented the "Sentimental" side to the category. Great editing to Usagi Drop.
* Don't Stop Anime Now / Mike Henschel -- While all of Upbeat was excellent, I was actually most scared of this video when it popped up. Absolutely superb editing, great concept, great scene selection. Classic Rock set to classic Anime.
* (C)Loathing / Miracle Falcon -- As noted before, this continues the "Wicked" streak at Otakon. Lovely editing, solid concept. Its one of those things that was obvious in hindsight, but it took Miracle Falcon's creativity to bring this video together.

* All of the Trailers/Parody vids: Seriously. Watch them all.

Just a few videos I wanted to give particular recognition to... in case anyone is curious what my tastes are like.

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Sun Jul 26, 2015 1:26 pm

Edit: Derp.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

neko kitkat
Org Profile

Post by neko kitkat » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:21 pm

Congrats to all the finalists and winners! It sounds like this was a great contest! I have to go and look up all these entries ^_^

Parodic Productions
Org Profile

Post by Parodic Productions » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:58 pm

Congratulations to all the videos this year. Despite the low number, we had a tremendous turnout. Quality > Quantity.

Oh, and my video's up.

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:21 pm

Yay and congrats to the winners! If anyone wants to see my new video on my new channel I just made because youtube hates me, it can be seen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKw5t9zhAiM Any sub help is gladly appreciated.
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:50 pm

Not sure if my video (which was an overflow video) ended up being reclassified as an Upbeat video a la Anime Expo. If it was the case, then I definitely see why I didn't make the cut, as the Upbeat category definitely was the highlight of the contest.

Congrats to the winners.

dragontamer5788
Org Profile

Post by dragontamer5788 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:30 am

Hey VicBond007:

The .Org doesn't seem to have Otakon 2015 up in the "contest list" or "conventions" page. Do you know what needs to happen to get Otakon2015 listed?

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:23 am

The results posted by dragontamer5788 are correct and official.

The Best in Overflow video was "If Only" by MadMegatax.
Audio was "If Only" by ODESZA
Video was Yurikuma Arashi.

"The Best Will Continue Until Morale Improves" was far and away the Best In Show this year. It seemed like the ballots had a lot of 30's in the BIS box.
dragontamer5788 wrote: * (C)Loathing / Miracle Falcon -- As noted before, this continues the "Wicked" streak at Otakon. Lovely editing, solid concept. Its one of those things that was obvious in hindsight, but it took Miracle Falcon's creativity to bring this video together.
And yet it didn't finish in the top 2. I was thinking this was going to be the winner, but nope.

Also, this year's Content Notice/Warning read as follows:

"The Otakon 2015 AMV Contest features plot spoilers, senseless violence, girls in skimpy outfits, Pokemons, wub-wubstep, a musical chicken, this year's popular Disney song, hot dogs gone wild, feline badassery, a robot that just wants to play volleyball, and a salty stick. It's that awesome. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!"

Biggest surprise and most pleasing upset of the contest was Drabaz's "When I See You Again" beat the favorite "Call to Arms" to win Drama/Serious. I am so proud of Doug! I was worried his video wasn't going to win because of some questionable audience reactions at some points of the video -- what can I say, Team Four Star may have corrupted a lot of anime fans -- but I am very happy this video took home 1st Place.

Also, the chicken song in Comedy was awesomely catchy as hell among AMV Theater Staff, and also it looks like "Immortals" has become that one pop song that gets stuck in your head after the contest (much like "The Phoenix" (aka "The Penis Song") from last year and "Radioactive" from two years ago)....

I loved how this year's contest turned out. Just loved it.
Last edited by Brakus on Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:57 am

Brakus wrote:... and also it looks like "Immortals" has become that one pop song that gets stuck in your head after the contest (much like "The Phoenix" from last year and "Radioactive" from two years ago)....
Muahaha :twisted: my plan all along. choose current fall out boy song and set AMV to autopilot. that's not true, yato's god complex was a bigger pain to compile than i imagined.

neko kitkat
Org Profile

Post by neko kitkat » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:50 am

Brakus wrote: Biggest surprise and most pleasing upset of the contest was Drabaz's "When I See You Again" beat the favorite "Call to Arms" to win Drama/Serious. I am so proud of Doug! I was worried his video wasn't going to win because of some questionable audience reactions at some points of the video -- what can I say, Team Four Star may have corrupted a lot of anime fans -- but I am very happy this video took home 1st Place.
I am happy to hear Drabaz's amv won. I personally really enjoy his work. Also it's always a pleasure to see old anime make its way into amv contests with current anime animation. I am sorry if I caused a upset of any sort. But regardless I am so glad he won, he makes great dbz amvs. Even though I am not the biggest fan of the series he certainly knows how to capture character relationships and build upon it. So CONGRATS, its an award well earned ^_____^

I'm glad to hear people loved my Kingdom Hearts amv though! I admit I was wary since I haven't really edited with videogame footage plus this song was a huge undertaking. I felt it had to be something on a grand scale and It had to be "epic." Not sure if I accomplished it but I am happy that audiences seem to enjoy it and that in itself is the best reward ^_^

Return to “AMV Contests”