The Otakon 2010 Thread (OK now panic)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: The Otakon 2010 Thread (OK now panic)

Post by Scintilla » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:44 am

xstylus wrote:
Honou_Miko wrote:Check out all the people complaining about no encore performance. And someone suggested the Arena for the contest to accomodate the amount of people it draws in (HOW NOVEL, IMAGINE IF WE'D SUGGESTED THAT.)
Otakon had full showings on Friday and Saturday, and yet there are some who are upset that there wasn't a Sunday showing too? You guys are spoiled rotten.
I think the complaint was that there were people who wanted to see the contest (and some didn't necessarily care about voting) but couldn't get into either showing because they were full; I have read that they wouldn't let people into the rooms to fill seats vacated by those who left early. And when Cyanna and I got to the contest partway through on Saturday to see our category again, the staffer told us the room was full and wouldn't let us in until I showed him our VIP badges.

Also, please let's not show the contest in the 1st Mariner Arena. I cannot see that being a good idea acoustically, even if you can get big enough screens onto the stage.
(After seeing what the showings sounded like in Halls A-B combined ("the hangar") in 2003, I'm kind of wary of using any space bigger than the current Main Events, unless they decide to re-combine the 4th floor ballroom. Because I know the ballroom worked out great in 2003, and I wouldn't be surprised if it could seat more than Hall D.)
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

DarkBasilisk
Org Profile

Post by DarkBasilisk » Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:55 am

Saisenseistudio wrote:Its weird that they named me after my studio wingz of silence when i put the editors name as 'saisenseistudio'. Anyways most likely everyone hated my Fallen Souls amv but hey congrats to the Gunsmith Cat City amv for coming second. is there a download link for it?
I didn't entirely hate it I just thought it was a little too fast. The editting and song use was great I think my eyes didn't like the visual effect of having a scene change every 4 seconds.

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:59 am

Scintilla wrote:
xstylus wrote:
Honou_Miko wrote:Check out all the people complaining about no encore performance. And someone suggested the Arena for the contest to accomodate the amount of people it draws in (HOW NOVEL, IMAGINE IF WE'D SUGGESTED THAT.)
Otakon had full showings on Friday and Saturday, and yet there are some who are upset that there wasn't a Sunday showing too? You guys are spoiled rotten.
I think the complaint was that there were people who wanted to see the contest (and some didn't necessarily care about voting) but couldn't get into either showing because they were full; I have read that they wouldn't let people into the rooms to fill seats vacated by those who left early.
Then perhaps a good solution would be to create some sort of system where those who didn't go to the first showing are able to skip to the front of the line at the second showing. Maybe stamping badges or something. In any case though, to me the con did a reasonable job giving as many people as possible a chance to enjoy the AMV contest. At some point an attendee has to do their part in lining up early enough if they want to see it badly enough.

kickass331
Org Profile

Post by kickass331 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:59 pm

lol i sat thru lordo primo passo crap then overflow, ate at food court by the pier then got the third row for contest 1st day
ImageImageImageImageImage

VicBond007
Org Profile

Post by VicBond007 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:11 pm

I guess I can weigh in with my top picks now considering that I couldn't even vote :3

Trailer: Tonight, on a very special Section 9. Trailers are STUPID easy to make (though tons of fun to watch!) if you don't do any effect shots. You can find scenes that sync with any sound effect easily, and a lot of trailer scenes are just random highlights, VERY loosely set to music. Cousin of Sparda Studios did something unique by making up his own intro to the show and I loved the titling. It was tight, interesting, and probably opened up the market for unofficial Gurren Lager, which I would totally buy by the case.

Emo/Srs Bsnss: Defying Gravity. There wasn't a video in this category that I didn't love. Meri and Mike cranked out an interesting Tainted Donuts tribute, Re-Evolution Studios actually made a Clannad video that made the story a bit more accessible to those of us who've never seen the show, Mycathatesyou did the same thing by focusing on the story instead of just showing sad people and cute girls, Tech Crew Never Dies made a catchy drama video only marred by poor source footage, and Curry Mutton Pizza gave us the best Misa Misa profile video that I've ever seen, marred only by the completely unnecessary middle section. Cyber Ninja Productions however made an UPLIFTING, well-edited drama video that stood out against all of the other livejournal sob-fests.

Action: Bring It Back. wingz of silence bugged me with his extreme hypercuts and wacky-ass color scheme, so while I could appreciate the work that went into it, it also had no rewatchability for me. Brakus' vid was well-cut and visually pleasing, but most of that comes from the awesome intro sequence, so the work was already done. Bring It Back just seemed slightly more entertaining to me, and not just because Alan's made me sit through every M-Flo video ever.

Romance: Nara. 'nuff said. It's not a con-video, so I never expected it to do well. It's a video for those of us who know how much work it is to make something like that. AMG in a Nutshell was good, and it was nice to see a lighthearted rom-com that wasn't too goofy, but Nara wins on effort alone.

Upbeat: I Ain't Marryin' No Friggin' Horse!!! This was another category that was super strong. I loved every entry, especially Children of Daicon and Noise Pollution with their nostalgia-bombs, but ZaCloud takes the cake here for making up her own dance routine from existing footage. Every person who complains about this video should instead be taken as a compliment to how subtle and how well-done her transitions were.

Pizza Hut, F**k Yeah!: I'm tied on this one, but would have to give the edge to Scintilla for finding/creating appropriate scenes to match his dance moves.

Other things:
I will never show the AMV contest in the Marina, nor will I allow the contest to go back to the double-sized hangar. Once you get to a room that size, it becomes like trying to watch a movie in a football stadium. One of the former co-ordinators tried it and it was a disaster. Seating 4,000 people doesn't matter if nobody can hear anything but big booty bass echoing through the room. The Sunday showing was supposed to alleviate the capacity issue, but for the first time in as long as I can remember, it was cut from Otakon's schedule. Even if people leave, we can't allow other people to take their place because quite frankly, in a dark 2,500+ seat room, good luck finding their empty seats. VERY few people leave the event, and it's not worth having people with flashlights run the aisles and disrupt the contest for everyone else so that a few people can come in late. I also don't think that a lot of people are coming to both showings. If anyone, it's the creators themselves going to both showings, and I don't ever want to shut them out. Yeah there's gonna be a few people who go to both showings, but not enough to cause a problem that'd require a policy change.

Lining up early wasn't an option on Saturday considering we had to kick everyone out of the building right before seating started. I also don't want to create a Masquerade-like situation where people are lining up several hours before-hand and missing out on the rest of the con. Again, the Sunday encore would have ensured that almost everyone who wanted to see the contest, could have done so.
"With free bagels we can live like Kings!...Kings who have to pay for their own castle in order to get the free bagels!" - Omar Jenkins

kickass331
Org Profile

Post by kickass331 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:13 pm

VicBond007 wrote:I guess I can weigh in with my top picks now considering that I couldn't even vote :3

Trailer: Tonight, on a very special Section 9. Trailers are STUPID easy to make (though tons of fun to watch!) if you don't do any effect shots. You can find scenes that sync with any sound effect easily, and a lot of trailer scenes are just random highlights, VERY loosely set to music. Cousin of Sparda Studios did something unique by making up his own intro to the show and I loved the titling. It was tight, interesting, and probably opened up the market for unofficial Gurren Lager, which I would totally buy by the case.

Emo/Srs Bsnss: Defying Gravity. There wasn't a video in this category that I didn't love. Meri and Mike cranked out an interesting Tainted Donuts tribute, Re-Evolution Studios actually made a Clannad video that made the story a bit more accessible to those of us who've never seen the show, Mycathatesyou did the same thing by focusing on the story instead of just showing sad people and cute girls, Tech Crew Never Dies made a catchy drama video only marred by poor source footage, and Curry Mutton Pizza gave us the best Misa Misa profile video that I've ever seen, marred only by the completely unnecessary middle section. Cyber Ninja Productions however made an UPLIFTING, well-edited drama video that stood out against all of the other livejournal sob-fests.

Action: Bring It Back. wingz of silence bugged me with his extreme hypercuts and wacky-ass color scheme, so while I could appreciate the work that went into it, it also had no rewatchability for me. Brakus' vid was well-cut and visually pleasing, but most of that comes from the awesome intro sequence, so the work was already done. Bring It Back just seemed slightly more entertaining to me, and not just because Alan's made me sit through every M-Flo video ever.

Romance: Nara. 'nuff said. It's not a con-video, so I never expected it to do well. It's a video for those of us who know how much work it is to make something like that. AMG in a Nutshell was good, and it was nice to see a lighthearted rom-com that wasn't too goofy, but Nara wins on effort alone.

Upbeat: I Ain't Marryin' No Friggin' Horse!!! This was another category that was super strong. I loved every entry, especially Children of Daicon and Noise Pollution with their nostalgia-bombs, but ZaCloud takes the cake here for making up her own dance routine from existing footage. Every person who complains about this video should instead be taken as a compliment to how subtle and how well-done her transitions were.

Pizza Hut, F**k Yeah!: I'm tied on this one, but would have to give the edge to Scintilla for finding/creating appropriate scenes to match his dance moves.

Other things:
I will never show the AMV contest in the Marina, nor will I allow the contest to go back to the double-sized hangar. Once you get to a room that size, it becomes like trying to watch a movie in a football stadium. One of the former co-ordinators tried it and it was a disaster. Seating 4,000 people doesn't matter if nobody can hear anything but big booty bass echoing through the room. The Sunday showing was supposed to alleviate the capacity issue, but for the first time in as long as I can remember, it was cut from Otakon's schedule. Even if people leave, we can't allow other people to take their place because quite frankly, in a dark 2,500+ seat room, good luck finding their empty seats. VERY few people leave the event, and it's not worth having people with flashlights run the aisles and disrupt the contest for everyone else so that a few people can come in late. I also don't think that a lot of people are coming to both showings. If anyone, it's the creators themselves going to both showings, and I don't ever want to shut them out. Yeah there's gonna be a few people who go to both showings, but not enough to cause a problem that'd require a policy change.

Lining up early wasn't an option on Saturday considering we had to kick everyone out of the building right before seating started. I also don't want to create a Masquerade-like situation where people are lining up several hours before-hand and missing out on the rest of the con. Again, the Sunday encore would have ensured that almost everyone who wanted to see the contest, could have done so.

i hated all your top picks, those were the worst of the categories
ImageImageImageImageImage

gotenks794
Org Profile

Post by gotenks794 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:55 pm

Was "the hangar" used in 2007? Because I really liked the '07 setup. I don't recall it sounding "bad", it just sounded like how anything sounds in a room of that size. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that the only people who actually care about, or even notice, the sound quality not being its best are the editors and sound professionals. In my opinion, lowering the sound quality is worth it for a room that large. It's an amazing spectacle to be in a room of that size watching AMVs on 5 screens with 4000+ other fans, regardless of sound quality. I didn't even think the sound quality was that noticeable, but perhaps it was just where I was sitting.
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.

Brakus
Org Profile

Post by Brakus » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:02 pm

VicBond007 wrote:I guess I can weigh in with my top picks now considering that I couldn't even vote :3

Though trailers are easy, mock OP sequences are hard! Especially with the titling you have to do if you go beyond the U.S.-standard 60-second OP sequence. You have to do it without making it look like it was a fansub job with the crazy text flying all over the place. :) That also got my vote.
I voted for "Bring It Back" too, if only because I was already familiar with m-flo from the original 5-key Beatmania series. :)

Of course I knew going in that I'd incorporate the OP into my entry, so I just had to retime some things to it. Plus, two memorable moments from the series stuck out in my mind as I re-watched Gunsmith Cats, so I had to incorporate them into the video also. Add to that a remix of an old Japanese live-action theme song,

I couldn't help but notice you forgot the other 3 Action entries ;-)
~BRAKUS~
Otakon AMV Theater staff

"Oh, leggings. That's right, everyone in this country wears them. Do I have to?"
-- Rider (Iskander), Fate/Zero

Honou_Miko
Org Profile

Post by Honou_Miko » Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:14 pm

VicBond007 wrote: Emo/Srs Bsnss: Defying Gravity. There wasn't a video in this category that I didn't love. Meri and Mike cranked out an interesting Tainted Donuts tribute, Re-Evolution Studios actually made a Clannad video that made the story a bit more accessible to those of us who've never seen the show, Mycathatesyou did the same thing by focusing on the story instead of just showing sad people and cute girls, Tech Crew Never Dies made a catchy drama video only marred by poor source footage, and Curry Mutton Pizza gave us the best Misa Misa profile video that I've ever seen, marred only by the completely unnecessary middle section. Cyber Ninja Productions however made an UPLIFTING, well-edited drama video that stood out against all of the other livejournal sob-fests.
I totally agree about Defying Gravity - we NEEDED something uplifting in that category and it was so beautifully done. Serious doesn't have to mean sad! (I say this as someone who submitted something totally depressing, but hey!) And yes, I wish to God that there was a way to cut that Near section out, but musically it would have made absolutely no sense. :/ I definitely needed the "on the shore, we sat and hoped, under the same pale moon whose guiding light chose you" because I mean HELLO HIS NAME IS LIGHT AND HIS KANJI MEANS MOON AND HE CHOOSES GOOD PEOPLE TO LIVE AND SERVE HIM but since that was so heavily tied to the previous musical movement, there was no way around it. Was never comfortable with that section so I take absolutely no offense - I'm definitely willing to take the hit because I feel that the rest of the video was worth making (and perhaps useful in opening people's eyes to a truly tragic situation that's sadly covered up with comic relief).
VicBond007 wrote:

Good to know - on the forums I asked if it was at all plausible to show it in the Arena, and I didn't try to push for that specifically. The reason I thought it was a good idea space-wise is that as you said, people don't usually go to both showings, so a large room to hold the entire turnout would hypothetically be great, and give us the audience we've always had without imposing much on Otakon's schedule. Unfortunately, hypothetical situations rarely work perfectly. ^^;

As far as the possibility of Overflow ceasing to exist... to quote what I posted on the Otakon boards, as I believe such a suggestion goes better here than there:

"In order to keep the support for the non-finalists, though - what about collaborating on an online list of ALL participants, everyone's videos, a-m-v.org and YT accounts if they have them... and at the end of the contest, have one of those "For these and more great AMVs, please visit (insert URL here) and support the creators!" It would promote the event, too - especially if YT accounts are linked, as those are more shareable - and get everyone exposure. (Hell, I lost my original YT account, it had 985 subscribers and now my new one has 56 - with the way YT is these days I'm sure there are a lot of people in the same situation, so it would be a great tactic for everyone to gain exposure.)"

edit: now that I think of it, put this both at the end of the contest AND on the ballots.

HOW ABOUT IT?
kickass331 wrote:i hated all your top picks, those were the worst of the categories
lol.
AKA CurryMuttonPizza

0SimplyAngel0
Org Profile

Post by 0SimplyAngel0 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 4:37 pm

Action: Bring It Back.
Made my day ;_;

Return to “AMV Contests”