Redline「AMV」- Fast Lane

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Kamekian
Org Profile

Redline「AMV」- Fast Lane

Post by Kamekian » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:26 pm

This is my first time posting here!

To give you guys some context, this is my second AMV. You can see my first one in the same channel as the one linked bellow.

I have been given some advice already about both but i would like to hear as much opinion/criticism as i can so i can improve on my AMV making skills. In this video i tried to concentrate a bit more on storytelling and working on smoother transitions

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Re: Redline「AMV」- Fast Lane

Post by Kireblue » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:38 pm

Welcome to the Org! The rules of announcing videos in the "AMV Announcement forum" require you to catalog your video first. So please do that as soon as possible :D . If you don't know how, here is the FAQ post about it http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 2#p1546652

Until then, I'm going to move your thread to the “Awaiting Catalog Entry” forum. And I can move it back once I see that you've done it.

Kamekian
Org Profile

Post by Kamekian » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:56 pm

I have catalogued my video now, i think. Sorry about that!

vkamv
Org Profile

Post by vkamv » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:06 pm

Kamekian wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:26 pm
Kamekian wrote:This is my first time posting here!

To give you guys some context, this is my second AMV. You can see my first one in the same channel as the one linked bellow.

I have been given some advice already about both but i would like to hear as much opinion/criticism as i can so i can improve on my AMV making skills. In this video i tried to concentrate a bit more on storytelling and working on smoother transitions

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Funny coincidence, I'm actually finishing up an AMV using the same song as this AMV (with a different anime), so my opinion might be a bit biased in that way.

Video/Audio: The visuals were good. The source material is high quality, clean, crisp, and colorful. Your choice of effects was also fitting. I thought you did a good job balancing external effects and internal effects from the actual anime. I thought that the song also fit the overall theme you were going for of romance and action.

Synchronization: I could tell that you were trying to tell a story, and you did so well, but I think it was at the cost of the sync. The scenes and pace of the visuals did not match the intensity of the music. This song has varying tempos, slow to fast to slow again, and it’s best to match those transitions. For example, from 2:00 to 2:15 the song increases in intensity, but the scenes here stay rather static.

Also, even during the slow moments in the song I felt that you lingered too long on scenes and they could have been shorter and livelier. There was also a lot of lip flapping in those long scenes, also, which people find distracting during an AMV.

Theme/Story: I thought this was the strongest aspect of the AMV. You did a good job showing the relationship of the characters as well mixing in action scenes, to convey their relationship as one of intimacy and intensity. However, like I mentioned above, for a song like this I feel you need to focus a lot on the sync and matching the pace of the scenes to the pace of the song.

Overall it was interesting to watch and to see how others use the same song as I am currently using. Hope you continue making and posting AMVs.

Kamekian
Org Profile

Post by Kamekian » Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:10 am

vkamv wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:06 pm
Funny coincidence, I'm actually finishing up an AMV using the same song as this AMV (with a different anime), so my opinion might be a bit biased in that way.

Video/Audio: The visuals were good. The source material is high quality, clean, crisp, and colorful. Your choice of effects was also fitting. I thought you did a good job balancing external effects and internal effects from the actual anime. I thought that the song also fit the overall theme you were going for of romance and action.

Synchronization: I could tell that you were trying to tell a story, and you did so well, but I think it was at the cost of the sync. The scenes and pace of the visuals did not match the intensity of the music. This song has varying tempos, slow to fast to slow again, and it’s best to match those transitions. For example, from 2:00 to 2:15 the song increases in intensity, but the scenes here stay rather static.

Also, even during the slow moments in the song I felt that you lingered too long on scenes and they could have been shorter and livelier. There was also a lot of lip flapping in those long scenes, also, which people find distracting during an AMV.

Theme/Story: I thought this was the strongest aspect of the AMV. You did a good job showing the relationship of the characters as well mixing in action scenes, to convey their relationship as one of intimacy and intensity. However, like I mentioned above, for a song like this I feel you need to focus a lot on the sync and matching the pace of the scenes to the pace of the song.

Overall it was interesting to watch and to see how others use the same song as I am currently using. Hope you continue making and posting AMVs.
I really appreciate this!

With the visuals the only thing i'm not happy about was that i got the anime in 1080p and i messed up the project settings and export probably cause it came out in 720p haha

I really cant agree more about the sync, i felt that the actions scenes felt good but the quiet more "intimate" scenes just didn't portray it enough (my next AMV i really want to get out of my comfort zone with a multi-anime slow paced AMV haha). Something that i've been wondering is what do you do if a lot of the scenes you require have people talking, do you lip sync as best as you can or is there something that is better?
Learning how to build up before the drop is something i really need to work on haha i messed it up in both of my AMVs haha (if you want to have a look its on the same channel)

My main goal in making AMVs is to improve my editing and to create stories from them with a unique style, so im glad im making progress on the storyside.

vkamv
Org Profile

Post by vkamv » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:45 am

Kamekian wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 12:10 am

Something that i've been wondering is what do you do if a lot of the scenes you require have people talking, do you lip sync as best as you can or is there something that is better?
Lip sync is good but sometimes you just need to get rid of the lip flapping by masking, which is a bit advance and can be easy or difficult dependent on the motion in the scene. What you do is cut the mouth out of a frame where the mouth is closed and paste it over the frames where the mouth is open.

If there isn't any motion, like the head isn't moving (which is common in anime), it's fairly easy to do and effective. If there is movement you might have to create the closed mouth with Photoshop and past if over the frames where there is lip movement.

You don't want to do if for really long scenes though, because it might look weird with long scenes of characters that should be talking but aren't. That's why shortening the scenes and removing the lip flap together works best.

On the video I'm currently working on that's what I've been doing. Masking over lip flaps. Been very effective.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”