Lost Innocence Redux

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Lost Innocence Redux

Post by JudgeHolden » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:14 am

I bet you all forgot that I made dramas at one point. :uhoh:

This a remake of one of my first videos. Having just built a PC (the first PC I have ever built and the first I have ever owned); I decided to give Premiere a whorl and I wanted to do something "simple". This was also my first time using AVS scripts ... making the video look better than the first time I made it back in '05.

Just want to warn people who have not seen the first version of Lost Innocence, that this is not a happy video.

I also wanted to remake this video, because of the following email I got a few years ago ... I fixed not only the quality, but also some of the scenes that I was not happy with the first time.

"Hey,

You said you liked feedback, so I thought I would write and let you know how your 'Lost Innocence' video is one of the most powerful AMV's I have ever watched. I accept that some people dismiss it as a medium, claiming you are just cutting and pasting clips alongside music, but I honestly don't think watching the anime would have had the same effect on me as your video did.

I first watched your video about two years ago when you had it up on youtube. Since I had recently suffered a miscarraige (due to similar circumstances that the protagonist in your video portrayed) it really struck me. I watched it over and over again, and each time the chord striking as she hits her belly with a rock made me physically wince. It was such a perfect, beautiful piece of editing art. I lost track of it for a long time (I believe you took it down) until I went looking again for the song by Kirstin Hersh (having found the Cat Stevens version not as good due to a lack of female vocalisation). I found your site, saw your email and thought 'Why not?'

So there you are, I hope the feedback was worth it :)

~Poppy"

Otohiko
Org Profile

Re: Lost Innocence Redux

Post by Otohiko » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:29 am

JudgeHolden wrote: I bet you all forgot that I made dramas at one point. :uhoh:
I did :uhoh: Where da bewbs, man?

Haha, I jest, it's actually really awesome to see an oldschool drama video like this revisited. I haven't seen the original, but this is a great atmosphere video. Really pulled me into the song, which is always a great thing for something like this. Editing-wise, this video says so much with very little - puts a lot of overblown, over-edited drama to shame. Obviously the sources deserve a lot of credit for that in themselves, but it's great to see a video that lets those sources speak for themselves in a focused and dramatic way.

Big :up: from me. Exactly what I wanted to see from this source combo!
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

jubjub2
Org Profile

Post by jubjub2 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:10 am

Brings back a lot of memories, Judge. Glad that a new 'generation' of editors will be able to see this and appreciate the great example of raw emotion and effective editing that it is.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:31 am

jubjub2 wrote:Brings back a lot of memories, Judge. Glad that a new 'generation' of editors will be able to see this and appreciate the great example of raw emotion and effective editing that it is.
x2

One of my old favorites that still remains a favorite. Personally, I don't think you needed to change anything (I liked the "old" feel to it) but I'm glad that like Jubbers said, the newer generation of editors will have it brought to their attention.

You can't hide behind all those pantsu, Judgey, I'll always remember there's a powerful drama editor under there! :up:
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:29 pm

So I started watching before reading the description and was all "awwww yeaaaaah, new JudgeHolden video, bring on the moe/fan service funtimes." Then I started wondering if I had clicked someone else's announcement thread instead. Then I rechecked, and I was like oh. Then I finished watching it, and I liked it. :up: Good stuff.

JudgeHolden
Org Profile

Post by JudgeHolden » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:37 am

Otohiko wrote:
JudgeHolden wrote: I bet you all forgot that I made dramas at one point. :uhoh:
I did :uhoh: Where da bewbs, man?

Haha, I jest, it's actually really awesome to see an oldschool drama video like this revisited. I haven't seen the original, but this is a great atmosphere video. Really pulled me into the song, which is always a great thing for something like this. Editing-wise, this video says so much with very little - puts a lot of overblown, over-edited drama to shame. Obviously the sources deserve a lot of credit for that in themselves, but it's great to see a video that lets those sources speak for themselves in a focused and dramatic way.

Big :up: from me. Exactly what I wanted to see from this source combo!
Thanks!
jubjub2 wrote:Brings back a lot of memories, Judge. Glad that a new 'generation' of editors will be able to see this and appreciate the great example of raw emotion and effective editing that it is.
See it maybe ... Appreciate it? Not likely ... not enough sparkely vampires. :dino:
Ileia wrote:
One of my old favorites that still remains a favorite. Personally, I don't think you needed to change anything (I liked the "old" feel to it) but I'm glad that like Jubbers said, the newer generation of editors will have it brought to their attention.

You can't hide behind all those pantsu, Judgey, I'll always remember there's a powerful drama editor under there! :up:
But pantsu are so pretty. :oops:
Shin-AMV wrote:So I started watching before reading the description and was all "awwww yeaaaaah, new JudgeHolden video, bring on the moe/fan service funtimes." Then I started wondering if I had clicked someone else's announcement thread instead. Then I rechecked, and I was like oh. Then I finished watching it, and I liked it. :up: Good stuff.
You and half the org. :ying:

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:02 pm

That was wonderful, I agree - brings back memories, showcases an older style of editing, drama and storytelling that just really didn't require lots of fancy extras or over-the-top scenes to be incredibly effective.

Now and Then, Here and There is one of the few anime series that really moved me, but that also made me swear I'd never watch again because of how MUCH it moved me. I've always sort of avoided AMVs which use that source because I didn't want to be reminded of it, but this was too promising to pass up and I was not disappointed. I'm curious as to whether someone who hasn't seen the series would connect with it as strongly, however. There are some blanks to be filled in that round out the story of who these people are, how they got there and what happens to them, that I could see some folks struggling with. For me it was just perfect, though. Thanks for remaking and announcing this. :up:

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”