Down Time

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Down Time

Post by The Wired Knight » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:57 pm

Just curious, what is everyone's typical downtime between AMVs? How long do you go after completing one AMV before you start working on another? And also why do you wait as long or as short as you do?

I typically wait about two to three weeks before I start working on another video, however this is during my editing period where I make three videos back to back. After that there is an off period of about 6 months where I don't make any videos, it's based on deadlines and the need for a break here.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:15 pm

it really depends on my mood, and how long ive worked on a project and stuff and weather or not my ideas are "pressing my brainz"

I've been known to make three videos in a month @_@ but i think summer just makes me bored...

I made 4 videos (which i will not link) WHILE I was working on "Something Fishy"

3 of which were ment for meps (even though they all use the whole song - they were all fairly short), and the other one I just "had to do" cause it was inspiring me, and it was alot easier than Tuna so I did it.

I tried to wait a week or so after finishing tuna to start on my next project (which I'm almost done with) but i put off working on it for a while, and just picked it up again today O.o

and after this I have another one i "have" to do (request from my nephew - i promised id make him a video and i cant turn down family O.o) so it will be next...

AND theres my ayumix piece which i am currently working on @_@

all in all I tend to procrastinate while editing more so than between projects... O.o

also people gotta remember i have no life... (no school, no job... i wanna get a job but i donno where id want to work around here O.o) so, all i do is edit, and ride my bike occasionally... so yea... i donno.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Re: Down Time

Post by Kionon » Wed Jun 13, 2007 6:51 pm

The Wired Knight wrote:Just curious, what is everyone's typical downtime between AMVs? How long do you go after completing one AMV before you start working on another? And also why do you wait as long or as short as you do?

I typically wait about two to three weeks before I start working on another video, however this is during my editing period where I make three videos back to back. After that there is an off period of about 6 months where I don't make any videos, it's based on deadlines and the need for a break here.
Editing, and its various sub-activities, revolve around AWA, and have since 2000.

My schedule usually begins around February/March, right when everyone has just begun to tinker with the idea that AWA is coming up again in six months. I start coming up with projects, working on old ones I think are still worth something, and being very, very active on the forums.

By about June or so I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to send off. I may also be involved in MEPs or special projects by this point, just on momentum. I'll have started discussing my projects with betatesters.

By August, I will pretty much have everything sent off to AWA, I may putter on projects that still didn't make the cut, but nothing serious. Then AWA rolls around, and months of work becomes worth it in just three days.

For the rest of the year, I pretty much turn to other, non editing related projects, and have, in the past, even dropped off of IRC and the forums completely until the process repeats itself again the following February or March.
ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:03 pm

I definitely have downtime, and a lot of it, but I don't think there's neccesarily a lot of logic to it. At one point I had 6 months of editing downtime and more than 10 between actually releasing anything. On the other hand I've often done AMVs in pairs.

I think for me it's more a question of when I edit, rather than when I rest. And my editing periods are usually quite short (a few days at a time) but intense.

Otherwise there's lots of factors involved! One factor is that nowadays I'm poked regularly by people to edit, so my turnaround is usually quicker.

But as I said, as with everything else, I don't think there's really a serious logic or pattern to when I edit and when I don't.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

x_rex30
Org Profile

Post by x_rex30 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:13 pm

my two most praised videos I made 2 days apart from each other. I spent more time and worked harder on others with less motivation than those two.. so I only make videos when I'm motivated enough. I have no time tables since I don't go in competitions.

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:34 pm

You lamers actually have downtime? No wonder your videos suck. :roll:
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:38 pm

My downtime is highly erratic, but it largely comes down to how jazzed I am about editing. For instance, in a period of about two-three months (from January or mid-February to mid-April) I got more editing done than I have since probably 2003, even with the various multi-editor project tracks and whatnot I did to fill the time in 2005 and 2006. It amounted to 25 shorts and two full-length videos (one of which is still in beta, and most of the shorts are unreleased indefinitely).

During that downtime I typically just relax, watch new arrivals from editors I follow on here, browse Internet forums, pursue other activities that may or may not loop back around into editing, etc. Basically try to regain sanity for a while, until the impulse to edit is too great again. That might be a week because I'm still riding on a massive high of/or determination, or it could be close to a year because other things are weighing on my mind more.

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:43 pm

I move from idea to idea...which could mean I make 3 videos in a summer, or, in the current case, I've made one video (for Otakon) since last year.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

OhmGautama
Org Profile

Post by OhmGautama » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:48 pm

I am with Qyot27 :P , my downtime is really due to how "jazzed" I am about editing. I have quite a bit of ideas but if I do not feel excited about editing a video, then it becomes like work, which is no fun :P

"Basically try to regain sanity for a while, until the impulse to edit is too great again", that sums it up pretty well :lol:
"Freedom discovers man the moment he loses concern over what impression he is making or about to make"

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:30 am

I edit when I feel like editing, or when there's a deadline approaching. My downtime tends to be a few weeks between videos, but I'm still a fairly new editor and I have lots of ideas.

Return to “General AMV”