V.I.E. 5.5
Org Profile

Post by SnhKnives » Mon May 15, 2006 2:28 am

meh, there is a leader

Random Destination Studeosh?

doughboy
Org Profile

Post by doughboy » Mon May 15, 2006 2:49 am

I could think of many lame ideas to bring this community together and unify our efforts, but then I remember this is a hobby and no has to abide by a damn thing. :P If anything, it'd be nice if the studio system actually meant somthing. People who share similar styles and opinions should merge and collaborate to push each other towards near-perfection. There really aren't as many multi-person studios as there damn-well-should-be.

SnhKnives wrote:Random Destination Studeosh?
We could never leave our future in the hands of that mega-conglomerate-sausage-fest. ;)

Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Infinity Squared » Mon May 15, 2006 3:42 am

My opinion on this matter is much like Kai's. It's the pattern of our times, whether it be invention or art... with our history and the number of people in this world, it is just plain increasingly difficult to come up with anything novel, and one which ultimately is liked by everyone is harder still.
doughboy wrote:
SnhKnives wrote:Random Destination Studeosh?
We could never leave our future in the hands of that mega-conglomerate-sausage-fest. ;)
RDS: bullying the little guys?

Keeper of Hellfire
Org Profile

Post by Keeper of Hellfire » Mon May 15, 2006 4:27 am

Infinity Squared wrote:It's the pattern of our times, whether it be invention or art... with our history and the number of people in this world, it is just plain increasingly difficult to come up with anything novel, and one which ultimately is liked by everyone is harder still.
I completly disagree with the first part. It was claimed that often in the past, and always proven wrong. And it is wrong for the present and for the future too. The second claim is true. People usually dislike something new. How many artitsts had been discovered years after their death because at their lifetimes noone did understand them?

We don't need a lead (or should I say 1337?) AMV. The top 10% represent the taste of the masses, which is mediocre. So the AMV's present there will be majorly mediocre in terms of creativity (not in technical terms). And I'm sure, amongst that many unnoticed AMV, because the creator is unknown, doesn't use popular anime/music, does neither pimp the vid nor whore it at the op exchange, are some really precious pearls.

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Mon May 15, 2006 4:56 am

well first, euphoria was not groundbreaking or entirely original when it came out. sure it had rectangles flying around in new directions, but it wasn't a far stretch from videos that had preceded it and there was little conceptually original about the video. [srv was pretty original, i'll admit.] it was, however, for various reasons entertaining to many of the site members.

second, i've seen some really good and original amvs the past year - (wizard of ozaka, nightmare). but just because they aren't at the top of the 10% list doesn't mean they aren't inspiring hundreds of amv fans to try new stuff -- amv hell has sparked plenty of new spin-offs the past 2 years.

so no beowulf, i don't think we should be worried about hitting a slump. :wink:
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

Infinity Squared
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Infinity Squared » Mon May 15, 2006 5:23 am

Keeper of Hellfire wrote:I completly disagree with the first part. It was claimed that often in the past, and always proven wrong. And it is wrong for the present and for the future too. The second claim is true. People usually dislike something new. How many artitsts had been discovered years after their death because at their lifetimes noone did understand them?
I know where you're coming from and I would agree with you on some other days... those are days when I'm being an optimist while today I'm being a realist... the way I see it the rate of release of new inventions and innovations back in the past was greater than it is today...

I'm not saying it is impossible to come up with anything unique anymore, but it's just increasingly harder... today are the days of recycling and remixing, and unfortunately too much factory made pop music :lol:

Niotex
The Phantom Canine
Org Profile

Post by Niotex » Mon May 15, 2006 6:50 am

picking one is like american politics 51% agree's 49% dosnt whe'll have angry mobs all over the place so to say =\ just wait and see if something jumps up out of the blue and dos it asfor now i say just let it slide it'll come. maybe soon maybe later simple as that =|

CHAMELEON_D_H
Org Profile

Post by CHAMELEON_D_H » Mon May 15, 2006 7:49 am

Orwell wrote:With imaginery saber in hand, I propse two battle royale's consisting each of.... 653,925 members total, subtract the 5..... 200,000 members each. The winner of each gets to be in the Romeo and Juliet MEP, with gender being modified as needed. After we're done, we'll have a smaller community, and this time gated. It'll keep Caldwell in, and most of the community in the last year out.
I'll go oil the arsenal :D
SnhKnives wrote:meh, there is a leader

Random Destination Studeosh?
Might as well let Microsoft buy the site from phade :P
Before asking, THINK!!! Have you read The Guides, consulted The Wiki and watched The Corn?

Paul Kievits
Org Profile

Post by Paul Kievits » Mon May 15, 2006 8:50 am

I totally agree. I went through my AMV CD's the other day to make a DVD with only my favorite AMV's. Of the 300 AMV's I had from back in the day I deleted something like 80-90%. Why? After looking at them I noticed one common demenor, they were all bland. Guess which video's I kept?

* Failed experiments in video editing
* Shameless rock video
* This is DBZ life
* Euphoria
* etc...

Why? Because they were actually interesting for the whole duration of the video and reviewable because they were original. Nowadays everytime someone has the next "great" AMV I download it and watch it. If I catch myself thinking "When is this video going to end?" or "How long is this thing?" it's over. I delete it, even if I've only seen half of it. It's imperitave for any great AMV (or movie, or song) to keep you gripped. The moment you catch yourself looking around in a movie theater is the moment your suspension of disbelief is broken. And that's the point you realise the movie sucks. The more you catch yourself looking around the more it sucks.

But anyway, I really think people need to stop making AMV's for the sake of putting there name out somewhere and just make AMV's for the sake of creating something new (hence not aping another video). I totally agree with Beo...
Get my 5th video "Mass Murderer": here

Ingow
Org Profile

Post by Ingow » Mon May 15, 2006 8:59 am

Beo makes a thread as a provocation for people to get their asses up on something new and gets 3 pages of arguments about why they won't.

I don't get anymore why he keeps trying. As an obvious fact when everything started as the hobby/trend in its most purest form people with a totally different taste of artistic expression had been most common on this site and over the last few years this site has clearly been overun by pop itself. Commercialization is something that happens to everything the more popular it gets. For example I don't think the first guys that did rap music like how it developed over the years. But that's just how this type of things go in a society such as ours. Try going up to a teenage kid listening to farting frogs and try to explain that farting frogs are not really that funny. Good luck, I tried that my whole life.

So yeah, I think it might be time for the older generations to completely retreat if they can't live up to this new kind of attitude. Or on the other side I gotta say that there actually already IS a AMV-Underground including a lot of talented Creators that can't get the attention they deserve on the main site. So that would be another option. I have no idea yet how things will turn out in the end but you can bet I'd laugh my ass off if this current generation gets run over by a bunch of emo punks in a few years.
Paul Kievits wrote:I really think people need to stop making AMV's for the sake of putting there name out somewhere and just make AMV's for the sake of creating something new (hence not aping another video).
You just summed up the whole problem, thanks Paul :up:

Return to “General AMV”