I wonder if pimping really helps.

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:47 am

I like adopting the policy that if I pimp my stuff, I should also offer pimping other peoples videos as well... But overall I don't like to pimp my stuff too much myself...

Vlad

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:53 am

Arigatomina wrote:All I can say is I went a week with no reviews, pimped in a little thread (that only one sweet person replied to), and got a rush of reviews immediately following it. You tell me if it's a coincidence or not.
*AHEM*
godix wrote:there are a few creators which are incredibly well known and maybe their results are different
Arigatomina wrote:Are we trying to limit the VCA forum to only promotions for other people's videos? And if so, why? Does it hurt you if someone doesn't have friends to mention his videos for him?
I never said self pimping was bad and to be discouraged. I just said for the non-popular creators it's pretty pointless. Hell, I personally still whore myself just because it doesn't make a difference if I take my pimping seriously or not so I can play around with it.

DrngdKreationz
Org Profile

Post by DrngdKreationz » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:03 am

I think Pimping/Whoring does help.

I Barely Download videos. even at this time where it's critical a video has to generate enough Hype. from enough editors with a high enough credibility or similar tastes for me to want to watch it. if it's just the creator pimping their vid and all of a sudden 5 or 6 members i've never heard of start tossing compliments then i don't care.

but if you just sit in the corner and hope someone remembers you might not be good enough. if you WANT to get noticed stand up and say something. like DWchang said. I have found the rare gem by reading the pimpage threads.

and with all that being said. Dont forget to nominate OLIN for best use of visal effects :P

ShivaBlizzard8
Org Profile

Post by ShivaBlizzard8 » Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:33 pm

Personally, I generally don't download overly pimped vids, not because I don't think they're any good, but the idea of someone just being like, "my vid rocks - watch it now!" really turns me off. It's like the kid on the playground that was always bragging about his awesomess (even if it were true) and you just wanted to punch him. It rubs me the wrong way, you know? Not that I hold judgement or grudges against those who choose to do so - I don't even generally look to see who the artist is, and would probably watch their vid if they asked in a different manner. The brazoness that goes alond with the idea of "pimping" vids just bothers me.

However, I do think that posting can raise your hit/download count as opposed to people who don't post (aside from well-known AMV contest competitors, that is), and by posting, I don't mean pimping. For instance, I rarely see my hit counts go up much when I post in announcement or op threads, but when I just post random things without saying anything about my vid, I notice 10 more hits go up. Its strange.

But I do that myself to - if I read an interesting post, I'll check out that member's profile and see if they have any vids worth watching. For instance, I liked yoru post, Resk, and I'm downloading one of your vids right now, for the hell of it. I might even op it. But then I'm just random like that, I guess. :P

Vancore
Org Profile

Post by Vancore » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:13 pm

I think pimping can help as well, especially when you put one of those banners under your name. I'm usually more prone to opening one of those if it peaks my curiousity, and even if I don't I still think they're interesting.

As for self-pimping, I usually pick one vid and pimp it for the VCA's (Nothing this year). I think of it as more of a reminder then anything and if I catch a few new people, hey thats cool too.

paizuri
Org Profile

Post by paizuri » Thu Jan 20, 2005 6:58 pm

Although the term pimping carries negative connotations, it's really just advertising. Smart advertising can get you customers well past the freshness date of your product while stupid advertising can make people actively avoid whatever you are trying to push. It just depends on how well you appeal to the audience that you are pimping to.

If no one knows that something is out there, chances are very slim that they are likely to stumble across it. On the other hand, people may actively avoid watching your AMVs if you come across as a real dickhead. Name recognition is a very potent weapon. Whether it helps or not is a mixture of timing, appeal, charisma and lots of littler things that I probably didn't even think about.
My favorite video: Grilled Steak Trigun I LOVE THE COPS! Rargh!
I ain't 2 proud 2 beg! haha school rumble is great
Why do I always have the most preposterous sigs???
My current favorite thread. I'm a huge fan of GA-JAMMING.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sat Jan 22, 2005 11:37 am

paizuri wrote:On the other hand, people may actively avoid watching your AMVs if you come across as a real dickhead.
Speaking of advertising, is there any chance I could get 'real dickhead' just under my name in the space you have 'forum admin'? I believe in truth in advertising...

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:44 pm

downwithpants wrote:iit won't turn an unknown vid to a winner...

...in addition, if we're going to have a semifinal round of nominations with 20-25 nominees, some categories will have nominees with only handful of votes. and if getting on a nominations list is any reward, forum promotion can be a factor.
I think you bring up some great points and the 2nd one I thought of later and agree that it may change things. With 20 - 25 semi finalists, that probably means a handful of votes will get you a nomination. Perhaps this will bring up quite a few arguments of validity (i.e. whining) since perhaps only 2 - 3 nominations will get you in (pulled that out of thin air), but that's another topic entirely...

At the same time, I wonder if the finalists (similar to our final 5 - 6 videos in the past) will still be the most popular videos throughout the year regardless? Or if most voters will actually watch all 20 - 25 videos (even the unknowns) and thus vote according to the category parameters (i.e. even if a video is more popular or even better-made, it doesn't mean it's the Best XYZ) and not their initial preferences? Or will most voters still just log on, go to the list, and nominate the videos that they are familiar with and thus the finalists will be the same regardless?

Don't get me wrong though, even if the majority of people do not watch all the videos, I still think it will provide only positive promotion for the videos that are nominated (even if the nomination #s per vid are really low and thus debateable) and thus more people downloading/seeing it. That's always a good thing ;).
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

Voices_Of_Ryan
Org Profile

Post by Voices_Of_Ryan » Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:47 pm

dwchang wrote:and thus more people downloading/seeing it. That's always a good thing ;).
Isn't that the only reason we all upload to the org? For more people to see what we do?
"hey... no"

MomochiZabuza
Org Profile

Post by MomochiZabuza » Sat Jan 22, 2005 10:07 pm

am i pimping yet?
Yes I am God

http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... hp?v=67903
... apparently it's awesome

Return to “General AMV”