Animated Instrumental Scenes

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
rose4emily
Org Profile

Animated Instrumental Scenes

Post by rose4emily » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:28 am

I'm looking for anime with depections of different instruments being played. I know that the following bases have been covered:

Bass: FLCL
Sax: Cowboy Bebop
Harmonica: Cowboy Bebop
Whistling/Flute: FLCL (Haruko whistling on baseball field)
Pipe Organ (pretty sure I saw one in the Escaflowne movie last night).
Acoustic Guitar: Cowboy Bebop Movie (opening credits)
Taiko Drums: Pita Ten
Piano: Piano (Duh)

I also know of many sources for fighting and dancing, but I can't for the life of me find a good example of:

Electric Guitar (solo or rhythm)
Drums (kit or hand)
Violin/Cello/String Bass (though I'm certain that these exist somewhere)
A Whole Orchestra

any ideas on where to look for any of these, or any other cool instruments, for all of those bridge sections in the 70's rock songs I love so much that sometimes don't really fit any action that works with the concept of the rest of the video?

also - a good shot of an organ being played might be nice - probably present in some goth flick somewhere.

-- because I can't just throw in random clips of Mystic Spriral from Daria and make it look good.

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Re: Animated Instrumental Scenes

Post by dokool » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:32 am

rose4emily wrote:I also know of many sources for fighting and dancing, but I can't for the life of me find a good example of:

Electric Guitar (solo or rhythm)
Drums (kit or hand)
A Whole Orchestra
Violin/Cello/String Bass - Quon from RahXephon. *tons* of scenes.

Electric Guitar - whatsitcalled, Black Heaven.

Orchestra - There's the band in Blood the Last Vampire, that may be close to what you're looking for (although admittedly not quite)

Um, maybe Gravitation for the drums? I'm not sure...

-DOKool

Metro
Org Profile

Post by Metro » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:36 am

Eva Death and Rebirth has the children playing in a Chamber Orchestra.

and Hana Yori Dango has a character who plays the violin

azulmagia
Org Profile

Post by azulmagia » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:37 am

Princess Tutu should have scene where instruments are being played. Which instruments I have no idea.

In RahXephon, Quon also has at least one scene where she is playing a piano, in addition to what dokool said.

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:38 am

dokool wrote:Violin/Cello/String Bass - Quon from RahXephon. *tons* of scenes.
See also Kurumi 2.0

rose4emily
Org Profile

Post by rose4emily » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:23 am

I know tutu had a ukelele (the one the spanish bish who claimed to be royalty held when he was trying to implress ruu and ahiru), and an odd upright-grand piano, but I don't remember any other instruments. Great ballet dancing, though, which I actually have used in a video to the Pink Floyd song "Echoes".

As for the other animes, I'll start checking them to find the parts you are talking about.

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:43 am

You can find a few violin scenes in Sailormoon S (Michiru plays it quite a bit), and you could definitely get shots of an orchestra in Fujimi Orchestra (though you'd have to filter through the rest of the footage...>.> ), as for electric guitar - I think Saphire (Cliff) from Earthian plays that - but only in a few scenes, another source would be Gravitation (I know there's at least one band member who plays an electric guitar).

There's also an organ (large church type organ) that gets played in NightWalker - the first dvd.

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:47 am

rose4emily wrote: Electric Guitar (solo or rhythm)
Drums (kit or hand)
A Whole Orchestra
Only Yesterday has a scene with a band playing electric guitar, although it's rather short. If you're planning on getting animes to grab needed footage then I wish you luck, Only Yesterday is a hard one to find in America. For a preview of if it's worth the effort to get the anime for that scene you might want to download my Ghibli dance video, I used that scene in it.

Pom Poko has a scene of drumming. The drummers are racoons, not humans though. Again, good luck finding it if you're going after source and if you want to preview that scene it's also in my Ghibli dance video.

Evagelion has a scene of Shinji playing cello. I can't recall which episode though, it's been over a year since I've watched Eva. It's somewhere towards the end, or perhaps in one of the movies.

I think I saw an orchestra scene in one of Arigatomyna's videos. I can't tell you which anime it was though, she has yet to use an anime I've seen and know. You may want to ask her about it, although last I read she was taking a brief rest for various reasons so I'm not sure if she's active at the moment.

I can think of at least two organ playing scenes. One is in Slayers although god knows which Slayers series or episode. The other is in the Tenchi Muyo OVAs, towards the end of the series when they're fight Kagato. If you want to stretch the idea a tad there's a piano playing scene in Grave of the Fireflies (again, it's in my Ghibli video if you wanna see it).

godix
a disturbed member
Org Profile

Post by godix » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:49 am

Ah, so much for my Arigatomynas taking a rest comment. Nice to see you back.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Post by Scintilla » Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:57 am

godix wrote:Evagelion has a scene of Shinji playing cello. I can't recall which episode though, it's been over a year since I've watched Eva. It's somewhere towards the end, or perhaps in one of the movies.
Episode 15. And then in Death and Rebirth, you have a couple of shots featuring Children #1-3 and 5 forming a <s>foursome</s> quartet even though it was clearly impossible for them to have done so at the specified time because Asuka was still in Germany and Kaoru hadn't shown up yet.

Oh yeah, and Spiral has so many downright gorgeous scenes in which Eyes Rutherford plays the piano. Here's one, kind of (it's the only one I have uploaded that comes close):
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

Return to “General AMV”