"I can do better!"

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
zibbazabba905
Org Profile

"I can do better!"

Post by zibbazabba905 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:08 pm

Sometimes I hear a song or watch a show and think "this would go good with X!" When I look it up, most of the time that combination doesn't already exist. Sometimes It does exist but after I watch it I think it could have been done better. Would that be a dick move to re-do someone's AMV?
"Uhmmm... You know... it was at that point that I realized that maybe Thierry wasn't actually a film maker, and he was maybe just someone with mental problems who happened to have a camera. " -Banksy

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: "I can do better!"

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:30 pm

I tend to avoid them because I prefer to do something new, but I wouldn't say it's a dick thing to do to remake something that's already been done, as long as you don't copy a lot of the same clips they did after watching it. Also, it depends on if it's "been done well" before too. If it's a "youtube special" and looks craptascular, I wouldn't consider it "done before," but if it's a decently done AMV, that's a different story. Search "Business Time AMV" on YouTube for a good example of "thought of before" but "not done well."
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:35 pm

Additional Note: When you search for "Business Time AMV" you should find the one snapxynith and myself did this year (Shinji does (not) Mean Business), and a video that was "made" a few years ago...I discovered that video shortly after coming up with the idea for "Shinji does (not) Mean Business", needless to say I went ahead and finished the video based off of my concept, lol...

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:16 pm

One of the most supported ideas in AMV editing is "make what you want."

I mean, it'd be kind of a dick move if your only intention is to show up the previous editor who used the combination...but if you've got an idea and you just want to do it because you love the sources, then go for it.

No one can tell you what you can and can't make. There are critics out there (myself being one of them) who won't always give your video a gold sticker. But if you're truly happy with what you made and you're just editing "for the love of the game," so to speak, then it more than likely won't bother you. I mean, if you like it, who gives an F what other people think?

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:43 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:One of the most supported ideas in AMV editing is "make what you want."
I disagree, I hear a lot of people saying "Don't use Dragon Ball Z, Linkin Park, Shinkai, etc...". That said, fuck those people and do what you want :P

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:11 am

I'd recommend that if you are going to look up videos for the same combo that you do not watch them if you have intention to make the video anyway... it will effect your editing... at least it has for me... and not in a good way :(

I've always found watching videos that use the same combo after I finish mine to be fun to see other people's take on the same idea.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:33 am

A more complicated scenario:

There's a big difference between just happening upon the same combo as someone else with an idea you already had, and finding a video, being totally underwhelmed by the performance, and redoing it better than they did. To an outsider observer, you can totally feign ignorance and they're both the same, but for anyone in the know, there is a fear you'll be vilified either in the community or, certainly, by the original editor, for doing that. It has the air of an antagonistic action. So, what then? Do you redo what they failed to perfect?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:08 am

I had been tinkering with an idea for a while, pretty much was getting solid on it when a video was linked (using same anime) and given good remarks so I checked it out.

Bastard STOLE my idea - before I even started working on it!! :) About 1/2 of it was just what I had been thinking. So i never made my video. Who knows - maybe mine would have been better. But I'll never know now.

Before working on "Cowboy" I looked around and found nothing. Afterwards I easily found one on youtube. Watched it and was very happy. Not only was it very different, but in my opinion it sucked big time.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:21 am

HalOfBorg wrote:Before working on "Cowboy" I looked around and found nothing. Afterwards I easily found one on youtube. Watched it and was very happy. Not only was it very different, but in my opinion it sucked big time.
Did you not look on youtube first or was it uploaded after you first looked? I tend to look on youtube first due to there being some editors that don't even known about or just don't post on the org that still make decent videos. I remember when I heard the song "Uprising" by Muse I thought of Code Geass, but when I searched for it I found out there was a really good one that was only on youtube (they used CN footage...but the editing wasn't bad). This was a while back, there are like a billion copycats that made that same AMV now (and I can't find the original...).

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:11 am

I looked before hand - or at least I think I did. My memory has a lot in common with swiss cheese.

I've had this happen several times before so maybe it's just something screwy with me. Then again I can't find that other video NOW so maybe I was dreaming.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “General AMV”