Just an observance

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Just an observance

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:02 am

I'm not sure what can be done about this, but i have noticed a very large lack of incorrect artists paired with music (such as the many songs atributed to weird Al) and a general propogation of misspellings of artist names (an incorrect spelling of Evanescence even occupies a seperate place on the top 10 used artist link!!!). That overhaul would probably take enormous effort and (in the long run) would not be worth it i guess...

there is also an issue, i beleive, regarding vids that are supposedly hosted offsite. I have randomly searched for indirect and direct links for a half an hour and found either no videos (with links to random web pages such as google under "screenshots" of the video) or links back to the user's info page here (not an indirect link to the video as is suggested) the entire time (granted i was going slow and only checked about 10 or so videos)

any opinions???

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:27 am

Well, there is the 'report error' thing for direct links and such.

Otherwise, songs and downloads alike, it's - for better or worse - left up to the video creator's responsibility. In any case, it's seriously impossible for the admins to keep up with most of such errors. Alas. :roll:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:38 pm

Now that the anime listing has been revamped (a very tedious process they spent a lot of time on), the music is probably next. The only problem is that they'd need to enforce a 'validate artist' block so no one can add new songs/artists - just like they now have for adding new anime - it has to be proven as a real anime title before it can be added. Otherwise, they'd be fixing the mispellings while new idjits are replacing them - a never ending loop.

Main thing - to fix the music section, they'd need to cut off the influx of false entries. And to do that, they'd have to spend a *lot* of time approving/disapproving of entries.

It's a lot of work, and they probably have better things to worry about...like eliminating the lies on the pledge pages. :?

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:50 pm

xanga uses a search provided by amazon.com for entering music. the service probly costs money, but it would save a lot of effort.

the problem is we use a lot of audio not covered in usual distribution, like trailer audio, sound clips, and our own recordings.
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

derobert
Phantom of the .Org
Org Profile

Post by derobert » Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:50 pm

Arigatomyna wrote:the music is probably next
Not really. After how much work it is to take care of the anime list, us admins take one look at the music list and run away scared.

There is no way we can manage to maintain that. We need a better way. Suggestions wanted.
Key 55EA59FE; fingerprint = E501 CEE3 E030 2D48 D449 274C FB3F 88C2 55EA 59FE
A mighty order of ages is born anew.              http://twitter.com/derobert

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:08 am

Without an automatic check - having some sort of archive of known artists (it would only verify artists - not specific songs, and it would have to be a very large archive and a program that can compare 'new' entries to the artists listed there), I don't see any easy way to clean up or monitor the music section. It would take a person whose only *job* is to handle that section - a fulltime task, and even then...some artists can't be verified - not the 'non-professional' ones.

But getting the duplicates - a music version of how the dozens of dbz titles were fixed - that would be a start. Maybe placing a lock so no one can enter anything starting with 'Evane-' without it being checked. That would stop anyone from adding more misspellings - and you could fix the duplicates without the problem repeating itself. This would also work for the Linkin Park entries - there were two of those last time I checked, throwing off the 'count' for the group.

It would at least keep repeats from showing on the 'most used' lists.

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:37 am

Arigatomyna wrote:This would also work for the Linkin Park entries - there were two of those last time I checked, throwing off the 'count' for the group.
There's also dozens of "Soandso artist featuring. _________", which also skews things.

Perhaps Freedb (the free alternative to CDDB) could be used, somehow?

-DOKool

downwithpants
BIG PICTURE person
Org Profile

Post by downwithpants » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:41 am

maybe we could use allmusic

I am interested in using the allmusic content for business purposes.

The AMG Web sites are for non-commercial use only. Per our Terms of Service , any use of the site for commercial purposes is prohibited without prior arrangement. If you are interested in using the site for such purposes, or if you wish to license AMG content databases, please contact us for further information.
perhaps some of the donut money could be used for better music tracking

humm, dokool's suggestion might work better
Arigatomyna wrote:Linkin Park entries - there were two of those last time I checked
likin park
Linken Park
LINKIN PAIR
linkin parck
Linkin Park
linkin park "in the end " remix
Linkin Park & Aaron Lewis
Linkin Park & Evidence feat. Pharoahe Monch & DJ Babu
Linkin Park & Limp Bizkit
Linkin Park (feat. Executioners)
Linkin Park - A Place for My Head
Linkin Park - By Myself
Linkin Park - Easier to Run
Linkin Park - Faint
Linkin Park - Faint - Meteora
Linkin Park - From The Inside
Linkin Park - In The End
Linkin Park - Lying From You
Linkin Park - Numb
Linkin Park - One Step Closer
Linkin Park - Papercut Remix
Linkin Park - Pts.Of.Athrty
Linkin Park - Reanimation
Linkin Park - Secret
Linkin Park - Session
Linkin Park - Somewhere I Belong
linkin park 1
linkin park a bullet with your name on it
Linkin Park and Drowning Pool
linkin park dj mr han
Linkin Park feat Rasco & Planet Asia
Linkin Park feat. Black Thought
Linkin Park feat. Kelli Ali
Linkin Park LP
linkin park- by myself
Linkin Park- Faint
Linkin Park- Points of Authority
Linkin Park-Breaking The Habit
linkin park-In the End
Linkin Park-My December
Linkin Park-Papercut
Linkin Park-Runaway
linkin part
Linkin' Park
Linkin' Park - Numb
Linking Park
linkinpark
linkinparkmix
Linkin_Park
Linkon Park
maskandlayer()|My Guide to WMM 2.x
a-m-v.org Last.fm|<a href="http://www.frappr.com/animemusicvideosdotorg">Animemusicvideos.org Frappr</a>|<a href="http://tinyurl.com/2lryta"> Editors and fans against the misattribution of AMVs</a>

dokool
Sir Gaijin Smash
Org Profile

Post by dokool » Thu Sep 23, 2004 12:55 am

downwithpants wrote:
maybe we could use allmusic

I am interested in using the allmusic content for business purposes.

The AMG Web sites are for non-commercial use only. Per our Terms of Service , any use of the site for commercial purposes is prohibited without prior arrangement. If you are interested in using the site for such purposes, or if you wish to license AMG content databases, please contact us for further information.
perhaps some of the donut money could be used for better music tracking

humm, dokool's suggestion might work better
I don't see why we couldn't go with AMG. After all, it's not like the 'Org is commercial.

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Thu Sep 23, 2004 10:39 am

Well, before we go correcting the music database, I believe we shoudl focus on getting it to show up alphabetically and all nice like the anime selections, instead of that really long dropdown box.

After that, we can go into organizing music.

I agree with Arigatomya's idea of making checking mandatory for artists that start with a certain syllable or something, and eliminating all duplicates.

But there's still the trailer audfio(which a system of how to edit trailers needs to be made up, still) and the independent artists that aren't licensed. Most no one knows about these bands, so having a check for them would be sort of predujice... I mean, "Your music was unapproved because it doesn't exist" but then... You made it... So you'd be angry.. Yeah.

And for unapproving music... I think there should be an immediate ban of all things that have "[artist here] - " yes, if it has a hyphen in it after the artist name, auto-deleted. Why? Because most people who do that put the song afterward.... I never understood why they did that...
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”