VCA Semifinal Round Up

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:10 pm

Along the same lines as folks not belonging in "Best First Video," is it possible for creators to willingly DQ themselves in categories? I appreciate the nominations, but one of mine doesn't really make sense (Best No Effects...wait what?) and I'd like to concede out of that since my video has some effects and I suppose I forgot to hit the little box.

If this causes issues since folks have already started voting, I'd understand and quite honestly, I imagine I have no chance winning it (which is good), but I also would like to keep the contest as clean as possible.
-Daniel
Newest Video: Through the Years and Far Away aka Sad Girl in Space

silver_moon
Org Profile

Post by silver_moon » Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:51 am

There's a couple of videos that I thought were out of place...

- The Race isn't actually an instrumental because... well... it has lyrics. Even if they're repetitive lyrics, they're still lyrics.

- I wouldn't say Azumanga DIE-OH is a trailer. There is one short section at the end that's a trailer for "Azumanga Die-Oh 2"... but about 90% of the video isn't a trailer. I think it's a comedy/parody video overall.

These are categories that the creators picked themselves in their video entries, though. So maybe if it looks like they have a good chance at winning in these categories, you could ask the creators what they'd think about not letting their videos compete in those categories?
ImageImage

Warheart
Org Profile

Post by Warheart » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:12 am

Hehe, I can't believe that I got into the semifinals in 4 different crategories, let's see if the popularity of my videos will be able to carry at least one into the finals ;). Thanks to everyone who voted for my videos. And congrats to all the other semifinalists. :D

Jnzk
Artsy Bastid
Org Profile

Post by Jnzk » Sat Feb 11, 2006 5:22 pm

I'm trying to nominate one more video in a category, but it doesn't show up on My Nominees, only on the checkbox page. Anyone else having the same problem?

KaneDragon
Org Profile

Post by KaneDragon » Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:56 pm

And you aren't trying to nominate more than 5?

littlebobcat
Org Profile

Voting for VCA videos is a full-time job! j/k

Post by littlebobcat » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:42 pm

I haven't seen most of these vidoes, so I felt I needed to download them to give an objective vote for the best ones. I know this can't be done this year, but what do you think of the idea of having each catagory in a zip file so that we can download it all at once in a few hours instead of taking several days to download? I realize that it's probably the way it is right now so that star ratings can be given, but it was just an idea I thought I'd put out for consideration. :)

angelx03
Location: In school, Rochester NY mainly RIT; in home, Tampa, FL
Org Profile

Post by angelx03 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:46 pm

Hmmm, downloading all videos for each catagory at once? Uh, wouldn't that take much longer than downloading each video seperately? :roll:
ImageImage

Arigatomina
Org Profile

Post by Arigatomina » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:13 pm

angelx03 wrote:Hmmm, downloading all videos for each catagory at once? Uh, wouldn't that take much longer than downloading each video seperately? :roll:
It would be quicker if all the vids were packaged together with a bittorrent link. Then you can start the download and it will continue untill you get the entire package - instead of having to download each vid separately, and hoping they resume if you get cut off during one of them. Even on dial-up, bittorrent can be much quicker than the local server.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:21 pm

angelx03 wrote:Hmmm, downloading all videos for each catagory at once? Uh, wouldn't that take much longer than downloading each video seperately? :roll:
Maybe, but for those of us without blazing speeds, it's nice to be able to start something that might take 10-20 hours and just let it sit until it finishes. Even if we have to resume every once in a while, it's still more convenient.

Bittorrent would be nice, as long as enough people kept seeding.
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

dragonglove
Org Profile

Post by dragonglove » Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:23 am

(new to the forum, so if I mess something up, be nice please)

According to the schedule, I have until the 20th to do semifinal voting, but when I click the link to vote for now, it says that the voting has closed. Is this a bug, or is something else wrong. Also, I already did my voting for the best action video at someone else's house a few days ago. I can't imagine that now that I'm doing the rest at home, it would somehow prevent me from voting now (you never know how cheating prevention programs work though).

Thanks in advance for a response.

Return to “Site Announcements”