effects question

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.
salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:50 pm

Kariudo wrote:save it as a .jpg
go to http://imageshack.us/
upload image
post link (the direct link)

Code: Select all

[img]place the url here[/img]
if your image is bigger than 800x600, post the thumbnail instead of the direct link

there!! thats the link to the picture.. and thanx kariudo!
now how do you work with those? do i actually move each frame out of the designated box and get me the earthquake effect? is that how time consuming amv making really is? :)

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:27 pm

Ok. That thing that I boxed out in red is the scrubber. When you move it left or right, the scene changes accordingly. It is exactly like the scrubber on the timeline. I'm sure you have this all figured out, so I won't elaborate more.

Any time you manipulate a frame in the pan/crop a diamond will appear below the scrubber on the frame you manipulated, like so:

This diamond is called a "keyframe", and any manipulations you make to any frame will put a keyframe there to indicate where a change has been made. Now, to get the effect you want, start at the first frame of your clip. Click on the picture and hold it down and move the dotted box around the frame to change its position.

This is its original position:

This is its new position:

Now move your scrubber a few frames to the right and move the dotted box to a new position, making small or large movements depending on how dramatic you want the effect to be. At the end your pan/crop timeline should have a lot of keyframes, and will look something like this:

Note that if you want to make your earthquake effect to not move the frames off the screen (creating a black background) then you'll have to reduce the size of the dotted box by clicking and dragging one of the corners of the box, and make sure that the edges never go outside the boundary of the frame you're manipulating.

Hope this helped!

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:02 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:Image

Ok. That thing that I boxed out in red is the scrubber. When you move it left or right, the scene changes accordingly. It is exactly like the scrubber on the timeline. I'm sure you have this all figured out, so I won't elaborate more.

Any time you manipulate a frame in the pan/crop a diamond will appear below the scrubber on the frame you manipulated, like so:

This diamond is called a "keyframe", and any manipulations you make to any frame will put a keyframe there to indicate where a change has been made. Now, to get the effect you want, start at the first frame of your clip. Click on the picture and hold it down and move the dotted box around the frame to change its position.

Now move your scrubber a few frames to the right and move the dotted box to a new position, making small or large movements depending on how dramatic you want the effect to be. At the end your pan/crop timeline should have a lot of keyframes, and will look something like this:

Note that if you want to make your earthquake effect to not move the frames off the screen (creating a black background) then you'll have to reduce the size of the dotted box by clicking and dragging one of the corners of the box, and make sure that the edges never go outside the boundary of the frame you're manipulating.

Hope this helped!

wow.. i am speechless.. you guys are the best!! sheesh.... i am overwhelmed .. lol.. thank you so much.. i am not letting ur effort go to waste.. i am staying up all night.. and coming up with atleast one decent 10 clip using pan and crop!!!
thankx a lot man.. i couldnt have explained it any better in 10 lifetimes!

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:02 pm

CrackTheSky wrote:Image

Hope this helped!

wow.. i am speechless.. you guys are the best!! sheesh.... i am overwhelmed .. lol.. thank you so much.. i am not letting ur effort go to waste.. i am staying up all night.. and coming up with atleast one decent 10 clip using pan and crop!!!
thankx a lot man.. i couldnt have explained it any better in 10 lifetimes!

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:11 pm

i mean 10 second clip.. anyway.. one more question.. this time its simpler..
i eventually found out how to increase the duration for a transition on vegas.. but i am still stuck on how i can change the duration for a video effect... what i do is just split up the clips so i can use the effect for that particular clip. is that the best way to do it? because the more clips i split the slower my project gets on preview. so i was thinking if there was any other way .. but this one is no big deal.

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:26 pm

dang it.. i just keep coming up with questions!! heres one more!! and this time it'll be the last for the night
with cyberlink powerdirector i could use images to come up with cheap versions of lip sync.. i'd just put them up on the timeline with their mouth closed and open.. u get the drift right?
but i cant do that in vegas!
help!!!!!
i promise... this is the last for the night

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:03 am

gosh ok.. that was dumb... importing pictures was as easy as the video.. i dont know why it didnt work the last time on vegas.. anyway.. back to the earthquake effect! i cant find the scrubber!!!! i have everything else on teh timeline except teh scrubber. how do you activate the scrubber?

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:14 am

Ok, the scrubber is right here in the pan/crop window...it's a little hidden...

Alright, effect-ing, here goes. Open your effect window; in this case I'll be using a simple black-and-white effect, but the concept permeates to every effect. Here's the default window:

In order for the effect to work on your video, you have to slide the "Blend amount" to the right. The more you do, the more black and white your picture will become. Now, once you do this, a keyframe will appear beneath your scrubber, just like in the pan/crop window. Except there's already a keyframe there to begin with, as you can see. In this case the keyframe's parameters have been changed; before you slid the bar to the right the keyframe marked the point in the video where the effect was inserted; problem was that you hadn't slid the blend amount bar to the right, so the video didn't change. If you slide the bar all the way to the right so that the blend amount reads "1.000", then the keyframe's parameters have been changed to a black-and-white filter blended all the way.

Make sense? Probably not; it's not really important to understand, just so you know why a keyframe is already in place when you open the effect window.

If you want the effect to stay the way it is for the entire clip, all you have to do is open the effect window, make it so the effect looks the way you want, and right-click on the keyframe and select "Hold". This will hold the effect's parameters you've determined until the next keyframe.

If you want your effects to gradually change over the course of a clip, here's what you do. Let's say you want a clip to start off black-and-white, and by the end you want it to smoothly transition back to color. This is how you'd go about making that happen:

And there you have it! As you move the scrubber from left to right or right to left on the effect window's timeline, you should notice a smooth transition from black-and-white to color or vice-versa, depending on which way you're moving the scrubber. If you change your mind later and want the transition from black-and-white to color to be faster, you can simply click and drag the second keyframe to any other point on the timeline.

Don't hesitate to ask any more questions!

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:52 pm

And just so we're clear...

salemshady
Org Profile

Post by salemshady » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:31 pm

lol.. that was easy! i could swear i looked for a good 20 minutes to find me the scrubber and i found nothing.. and i was poking around the corner just where it was .. but no luck.. its just so funny now looking back at how much i struggled.. thanks a lot !!!!

Return to “Video Software Help Archive”