Yu-Gi-OH Gx Amv

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Shi Loh
Org Profile

Yu-Gi-OH Gx Amv

Post by Shi Loh » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:43 pm

Hey there. ^-^
This is my first amv in like 5 years. I did "game music videos" before and i have to say I really loved working on this.
The character here is Zane Truesdale from Yu-Gi-Oh Gx. (does anyone even know him anymore? : P) I based off this amv on him and I really wanted to include his story.
I hope you like this and feedback is gladly appreciated.

[added vidid - Kireblue]

Mol
Strawberry Pie
Org Profile

Re: Yu-Gi-OH Gx Amv

Post by Mol » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:42 am

Pretty interesing sync, I Would try getting source without subtitles (ex: by buying it d: )and try go a Little lower on lighting sync
Still better than that MMO.

Kionon
I ♥ the 80's
Location: I wonder if you know how they live in Tokyo... DRIFT, DRIFT, DRIFT
Org Profile

Post by Kionon » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:12 am

Shi Loh wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:43 pm
Hey there. ^-^
This is my first amv in like 5 years. I did "game music videos" before and i have to say I really loved working on this.
The character here is Zane Truesdale from Yu-Gi-Oh Gx. (does anyone even know him anymore? : P) I based off this amv on him and I really wanted to include his story.

[added vidid - Kireblue]
I think your editing was generally pretty capable for the minute or so I watched, I thought your cuts were generally good, I liked the use of flashes. There's definitely some editing skill here.

However, and please don't take this the wrong way, this is meant to be constructive: the video quality was painful to watch. I don't mean metaphorically as in "gee this was a bad AMV." It's precisely why I complimented your editing above. I mean that the visual quality of the source actually caused me physical pain and I had to stop the video. Here's why. The resolution of the video file is 1080p. And I have a 4K monitor. ...and the original source was clearly 480p or less.... and then further cropped to take the 4:3 series down to 16:9. This means you've got pixelation the size of postage stamps across my 4K monitor. With watermarks and subtitles. And then on top of that you've done the speeding up of the footage and the flashes (which I liked as editing decisions but further muddies up the visual quality here)... and... Migraine.

As resolutions get bigger and bigger and pixels on monitors get smaller and smaller starting with a native resolution clean source, or using prepping techniques to upscale 480p up to 720p or 1080p in a way that looks as clean as possible, is absolutely necessary before you even start loading your source onto the timeline. For an example, consider my remaster of Robot Girl, where I took rather substandard 480i (i for interlace, which is alternating frame lines, so you get a combing effect, p is for progressive, or no such effect) DVD source and using filtering techniques brought it up to 720p. It isn't perfect, but it is far more watchable than it otherwise would be in 2018.

ImageImage
That YouTube Thing.

vkamv
Org Profile

Post by vkamv » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:13 pm

Shi Loh wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:43 pm
Shi Loh wrote: Hey there. ^-^

[added vidid - Kireblue]
Audio/Visual: The original source material wasn’t the greatest quality. It was pixilated and there was distracting text. Also, I didn’t like how the majority of the scenes were sped up quite a bit; this, coupled with the lip flapping at double speed, made it very distracting and hard to become engrossed. Perhaps next time choose shorter scenes, or go frame by frame and cut out doubles. It will speed it up without causing that odd look. I did like the song you chose to pair this with and thought that it fit well with your sync and visuals.

Synchronization: Your sync work was good. You had an interesting mixture and variety effects that you implemented to accentuate the various beats and shifts in the song. I’m not sure what program you use, but some of the effects looked a bit rough and could have been smooth and blended in better with the source material. The timing of the effects was excellent.

Theme/Story: I haven’t seen this anime but still enjoyed watching this. It was a good character profile AMV. Nice work.

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”