Compressing to a Vegas-compatible file

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
Asylum*Escapee*Saki
Org Profile

Compressing to a Vegas-compatible file

Post by Asylum*Escapee*Saki » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:45 pm

I've tried using A&E's guide to compress video files to Xvid avi in VirtualDubMod after finishing a video with Vegas Movie Studio 8.0, but I'm looking for a way to compress videos that allows them to be used in Vegas again when I'm done. I fiddled around and tried to find a way to compress them as a Huffyuv avi, but that made the video file enormous. Does anyone know how I can do this?

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Re: Compressing to a Vegas-compatible file

Post by Enigma » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:07 pm

Try lagarith,It's smaller than huffyuv and uncompressed,But still rather "large"

Asylum*Escapee*Saki
Org Profile

Post by Asylum*Escapee*Saki » Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:42 am

Thanks for the recommendation, Soup. That helps, but it's still a big file, as you said. It brought it down from 6998 kbps to 4629 kbps, but I'm hoping to find an option that's more like 2000 kbps or so.

Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid
Org Profile

Post by Enigma » Sat Nov 28, 2009 3:20 am

Make a lagarith,Import it to Zarx264gui and use the FakeAVI method?

Overture
Org Profile

Post by Overture » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:02 am

Asylum*Escapee*Saki wrote:I've tried using A&E's guide to compress video files to Xvid avi in VirtualDubMod after finishing a video with Vegas Movie Studio 8.0, but I'm looking for a way to compress videos that allows them to be used in Vegas again when I'm done. I fiddled around and tried to find a way to compress them as a Huffyuv avi, but that made the video file enormous. Does anyone know how I can do this?
i think your confused. huffyuv and lag arent compressed, their UNcompressed. meaning that they ARE enourmous in file size but since they arent compressed, they dont lose quality which is y you should keep your footage as a lossless(uncompressed) codec from beginning til the final compression at the end when you distribute your amv. so if you wanna store your amv without losing quality, then go uncompressed. you cant help the file size. back them up on discs if anything. but lagarith is prolly your best choice and the smallest:3 if you really wanna save space and dont mind the loss in qualityO~O then ye, xvid avi it or something. could try zarx mp4 and when u want to use it like soup said, make a fake avi. but just go with lossless :3 :up:

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Post by Kariudo » Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:46 am

Lagarith and Huffyuv footage is still compressed (lossless compression is still compressed.)
Lossless is big, but uncompressed is even bigger.

Overture
Org Profile

Post by Overture » Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:57 pm

ooh yeeeaa i member reading something like that come to think of it. something like(i forget which, maybe huff) is compressed like each frame is a compressed like a zip file or something along those lines. so its compressed differently or something like that :mrgreen: either way lossless:3

Bakadeshi
Abuses Spellcheck
Org Profile

Post by Bakadeshi » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:54 pm

Overture wrote:ooh yeeeaa i member reading something like that come to think of it. something like(i forget which, maybe huff) is compressed like each frame is a compressed like a zip file or something along those lines. so its compressed differently or something like that :mrgreen: either way lossless:3
The difference is that huffyuv and lagarith (using different compression methods that effect speed vs. size slightly differently) compresses each frame's full information (sorta like you would get compressing the uncompressed file to ZIP or RAR) where as with Xvid, h264, mpeg2, etc, only stores the information that changes inbetween each stored keyframe. the codec then reassembles it apon playback, sorta doing an educated guess at what should be in a certain pixel when theres missing information based on the pixels around it. How much missing pixels it has to guess to fill in is determined by the bitrate or quantizer setting.

this is generally regarded as bad for editing softwares where you may need to just grab frame# 23 for example, wich may not be a keyframe, and so the codec needs to generate the information based on the keyframe before it, which may not always be regenerated exactly the same, not to mention some loss in detail is Inevitable. Also since the codec has to do alot more work in reasembling the information for each frame, its alot slower to edit to Xvid, H264, or any other codec that works that way, than it is to work with a lossless codec.

Overture
Org Profile

Post by Overture » Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:01 am

learned somethin new today :up: thanx deshi :mrgreen:

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”