Converting DVD Audio to something editable.

If you have questions about compression/encoding/converting look here.
7sigma
Org Profile

Converting DVD Audio to something editable.

Post by 7sigma » Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:59 pm

Greetings! Having recently gotten my hands on a shiny brand new Elv1s audio DVD, I now need some help converting the AAC files to something I can edit with, and I would really like it to support its 6 channels. Doom9 recently had news on a new version of BeSweet being able to create 5.1 wav files, but I really couldn't understand how to do it, and it wouldn't work with AAC files to begin with. My other program of choice, dbpowerAMP, also supports AAC - in theory. I can't make it convert AAC files into anything (nor ogg files, for that matter), so I'm quite stuck.

Thanks in advance for any help.
When the gods wish to punish us, they answer our prayers - Oscar Wilde

madmallard
Org Profile

Post by madmallard » Sun Jul 03, 2005 12:55 pm

consider how important it is for you to support multi channel for your own pleasure or for whoever may watch your video. Not too many people expect surround sound outta their amv...
Main Events Director Anime Weekend Atlanta, Kawaii-kon

7sigma
Org Profile

Post by 7sigma » Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:07 pm

Even so, I'm not being able to convert the files to anything - stereo or otherwise. In fact, I don't need to use a 5.1 wac. I can just edit with stereo and mux the original AAC file later.

If somebody pulled this off, please give me a hand.

maciko
Org Profile

Post by maciko » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:08 am

Perhaps I can help, first of all I would suggest that you probably will require some sort of editing system that can handle at least 6 channels of audio simultaneously, and perhaps decide whether you are concerned with the quality of audio on your final product. Considering that the file you are dealing with is already using some sort of compression format, being anal about quality is probably a bit futile.

So where do you start, probably the easiest way to do the decoding from a DVD is to spend a whole bunch of dollars on DTS or Dolby decoding software (whichever you are using) or you can find yourself one of the old DVD players with all channels available on the back (good old RCA sockets) and record the audio stream real time into your editor.

Note if you do not have a sound card that has more then two more then 2 line level audio inputs than I suggest that this may take some time. More on that later…

At this point I would ask you to tell me how you are going to edit this?
What software will you use, and how are you able to capture the audio into that software?

Basically let me know what you have to work with?

7sigma
Org Profile

Post by 7sigma » Fri Jul 15, 2005 11:36 am

I intend to get the audio from demuxing the DVD on DVD Decrypter. This gives me the AAC files that are within the disc.

As for the editing, I have Audacity, of course, and I can borrow a machine with Sound Forge, or perhaps Auditon.

So the trick is, I'm not being successful at loading the AAC files into any of these programs. I was thinking of converting the AAC files into WAV, but I don't want to give up the 6 channels (they'll be handy for the kind of video editing I'm aiming for).

So, some things that could help me:

1) A program that can convert AAC files into something else (dbPowerAMP says it can, but it's not really working).

2) A sound editing program that can handle AAC files.

As for capturing the audio using my soundcard's input, let's just say I'm not confident about it's capabilities... but if it's the only way, so be it (I can use the files obtained in this way to edit and mux the original AAC files on the final version).

Anyway, thanks for the help.

maciko
Org Profile

Post by maciko » Sun Jul 17, 2005 6:18 am

Perhaps there may be some answers here...
http://www.tomdownload.com/audio_mp3/mp ... verter.htm

I had a quick "google" around it appeared this software may be the trick.

Return to “Conversion / Encoding Help”