Adolecense of Utena

This forum is for the general discussion of Anime.

Adolecense of Utena

Postby IamSD » Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:53 pm

I like the car scene. Other than that it got pretty confusing at time. Yet, Revolutionary Girl Utena was more confusing... *thinks* Yes, I bought them.

>:B @ Anthy with long hair. It just bugs me.

Anthy says: I'm ugly.
I fixed my Sig! L33tn3ss!
IamSD

Postby Princess Garnet » Mon Jul 15, 2002 4:57 pm

But Anthys so pretty iwht long hair! Espeically in the series. ^_^

My favorite part was the Toki Ni Ai Wa scene.

Wich saga did you buy?
-Princess Garnet
Princess Garnet

Postby SarahtheBoring » Mon Jul 15, 2002 6:11 pm

*digs fingernails into the desk waiting for the danged Black Rose arc to be friggin' officially released ARGH!*

*coughs*

It would just be so much more rewarding to watch in nice clear form. You know? Just smile and nod with me here...

What's odd about Adolescence is that I took it to have the completely opposite meaning/message than it apparently has. O_o

As for Anthy, I ... hm. Her character is more mysterious in the movie, allllmost to a fault. She's creepier (she seems much happier about being used) and more colorful at the same time, which are both interesting. Artistically, I definitely prefer movie Anthy. It seems to fit the "mysterious trophy girl / sorceress" part of her personality, as opposed to the series design, which seems to fit the "mundane" parts: the repressed, submissive, abused parts of her personality.

Annnd I should shut up right now because I haven't seen the whole series yet. X_x *ducks a savage beating*
SarahtheBoring

Postby TekkaRepliroid Zero » Mon Jul 15, 2002 7:21 pm

Black Rose arc was SUCH a waste of time.

But on topic of the movie, Anthy looks GORGEOUS in the movie, and she's a little more twisted C Design, much for the better. Anthy sucked in the TV series except in the last couple of eps, and looked like crap.
Every character got a (much needed) revamp in appearance in the movie, the TV series art quality is pathetically 2D a lot of the time. The Utena movie is visually the most gorgeous piece of animation I've seen TO DATE, while at the same time the TV series is a suprisingly low quality IMO :?
<i>TekkaRepliroid Zero</i>
I'll Never be the One that she Needs (first DL-able vid, ops appreciated)
"OOW, Why does it huuuuuuurt?!" - Zim
"Ooonly if you dance with meeeee" - GIR
TekkaRepliroid Zero

Postby UncleMilo » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:36 am

I disagree with you about the TV series. I think it's rather attractive - but perhaps I am more forgiving because I know it's a TV series and I expect less in the art and animation of a TV series anyway.

However, I certainly agree with you about the movie. Everything about it is gorgeous... I honestly love the first battle... the music, the animation, the way Utena's hair was suddenly long when she drew the sword... just everything!

-Uncle Milo
There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who divide people into two kinds of groups
and those who don't.
UncleMilo

Postby SarahtheBoring » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:42 am

Oh really? Care to back up that flaming with some reasons, what's your name with the mecha avatar?
SarahtheBoring

Postby SarahtheBoring » Tue Jul 16, 2002 12:47 am

If you've even seen it, by the way, here's my small defense of that arc.

Yes, it doesn't relate that much to the Big Picture. However, I find it more interesting, in such a long series, to divert attention a bit and explore a little more of this cast they've set up. Rather than a cookie-cutter "Best Friend Type A" cipher, we actually see a bit of complexity and depth to Wakaba. It explores what the Student Council are *really* about, as we see each of them (apart from the already-dethroned-by-that-point Saionji) show their own weaknesses and conflicts.

In short, it's *human*. It's psychological, and twisted - not BIG AND DRAMATIC twisted, but quietly manipulative. It's dramatic without pulling out any enormous, over-the-top ridiculousness.

Again, it's human. In a series concerned 99% with the oh so dramatic lives of the superhuman, it's an intriguing and refreshing change in my opinion to turn the camera on the background for a moment, and through that, see how it reflects on the central few.
SarahtheBoring

Postby Princess Garnet » Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:11 am

Black Rose Saga was the best story in the series though, well besides the Juri and Anthy one.
-Princess Garnet
Princess Garnet

Postby TekkaRepliroid Zero » Tue Jul 16, 2002 8:32 am

Black Rose arc was chliche/rehashed stock plot, as well as when it came to the setup of duels. As you already said, it doesn't relate to the big picture. The characters it focuses on I find annoying, like Wakaba and Nanami. It screams filler.
<i>TekkaRepliroid Zero</i>
I'll Never be the One that she Needs (first DL-able vid, ops appreciated)
"OOW, Why does it huuuuuuurt?!" - Zim
"Ooonly if you dance with meeeee" - GIR
TekkaRepliroid Zero

Postby AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Jul 16, 2002 9:23 am

Awww the Nanami episodes are true gems though.

dona dona dona dona....
AbsoluteDestiny

Postby Princess Garnet » Tue Jul 16, 2002 9:29 am

Cow Bell of Happiness is the best episode!

I like how Touga eats his own sister....
-Princess Garnet
Princess Garnet

Postby IamSD » Tue Jul 16, 2002 10:14 am

I'm pretty sure Black Rose arc was the one i bought... *checks it* yeah it was. :o

I just think the short haired Anthy fits the more mysticaly look... i dunno.

(sorry about the delayed reaction ><)
I fixed my Sig! L33tn3ss!
IamSD

Postby Kerydwenn » Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:26 pm

Short-haired Anthy in the series?

Wait until the last episodes... ;)

*hides spoilers behind her back*
Kerydwenn

Postby Princess Garnet » Tue Jul 16, 2002 1:31 pm

IamSD wrote:I'm pretty sure Black Rose arc was the one i bought... *checks it* yeah it was. :o

I just think the short haired Anthy fits the more mysticaly look... i dunno.

(sorry about the delayed reaction ><)

I can't stand Anthy with short hair....

I can't wait until you get to the last part of the series...
-Princess Garnet
Princess Garnet

Postby SarahtheBoring » Tue Jul 16, 2002 7:44 pm

Well, TekkaReploid, if you insist on not explaining and continuing to flame vague judgments without anything specific or concrete, I invite you to PM me with something solid.

a) The entire series is a warping of a "stock plot", if you hadn't noticed.

b) Setup of duels? Cliche? Okay, finding one of the people most loved by each of the school's most powerful people [Touga excepted, who the hell knows what was going on there]* and getting them to turn on them out of jealousy/envy? Uh yeah, happens ALL the time. :roll:

c) So what if it doesn't relate to the big picture? It's called having a multithreaded series. You CAN have more than one plot in a series; they call that a "subplot." And IMO it's an advantage to have subplots; otherwise the series risks becoming one-tracked and dull.

d) Your not liking the characters is a personal opinion, and has no bearing on the actual, objective value of the episodes.

You know, if you'd posted some actual backup for your arguments, this could have gotten really interesting. ;)

* Though I did have a theory in a little story I wrote a while back, who even knows. I'm intrigued by #21, though, simply BECAUSE it makes no frigging sense. ;)
SarahtheBoring

Return to General Anime