Help with subtitles?

For help and discussion about specific video editing systems like Adobe software, Windows Movie Maker, Magix, Sony Vegas, etc. Please note the subforums.

Help with subtitles?

Postby dowhatnow » Sun Nov 26, 2006 7:09 pm

No, not to get rid of them, to add them in!

I'm thinking of adding subtitles in a couple AMVs in the future, and I figured I'd ask now in the hopes that it would speed up production.

I've heard of Aegisub, but know nothing about it.

My questions are:

Is Aegisub the answer to my problems?

If it's not, what would I use and how would I use it to incorporate subtitles in my AMV?

Will the program given in the second question, Aegisub or otherwise, be usable with Premiere Pro 2.0 and the applications bunched together in the AMVApp?

Thanks.
dowhatnow

Postby AMV_4000 » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:15 pm

if your using premiere, why not just use its title maker.. File > New > Title...
You could always use Photoshop if you have it... or hell..

You could use MSPaint, just make a bitmap of the text... put in a green Background, *or Black* save as a bitmap, Import it into premiere and either Greenscreen or Lumance it... simple...
AMV_4000

Postby Minion » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:04 pm

the titler in any editing program.
aside from that - maybe see what fan subbers use?
KioAtWork: I'm so bored. I don't have class again for another half hour.
Minion: masturbate into someones desk and giggle about it for the remaining 28 minutes
Minion

Postby AMV_4000 » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:54 am

isnt there a way to do this in avisynth too???
AMV_4000

Postby dowhatnow » Mon Nov 27, 2006 1:34 am

Minion wrote:maybe see what fan subbers use?

That's where I heard about Aegisub.

To reiterate AMV_4000's question:

isnt there a way to do this in avisynth too???

Also, how does one make the subtitles scroll (side to side, top to bottom, etc.)? And what of the effects that could be applied to them? I'm assuming they're the same as the video itself.

Thanks for all the info, by the way.
dowhatnow

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:00 am

I've also heard the name "sub station alpha" thrown around, i'd look into that if you want anything other than your standard text.

As for simply scroling... you could do that in Premiere or whatnot... set xy position key frames and write out a really long string of constantly flowing text.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby dokidoki » Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:38 pm

AMV_4000 wrote:isnt there a way to do this in avisynth too???

http://avisynth.org.ru/docs/english/cor ... btitle.htm

jonnkakarotto wrote:Also, how does one make the subtitles scroll (side to side, top to bottom, etc.)?

You could move a title/overlay around in Premiere, or try the SubtitleEx plugin.

BasharOfTheAges wrote:I've also heard the name "sub station alpha" thrown around, i'd look into that if you want anything other than your standard text.

The last version of SSA (4.08) was released in 2000. It's not bad, but I'd look for something more up to date. Aegisub (mentioned above) looked good when I was checking out newer programs. I don't know if I'd use it for an AMV, but it depends on what you're doing and how you're doing it.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki
Free games! (some left) // "Anybody want a pizza roll?"
dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y

Postby dowhatnow » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:10 pm

dokidoki wrote:
AMV_4000 wrote:isnt there a way to do this in avisynth too???

http://avisynth.org.ru/docs/english/cor ... btitle.htm

jonnkakarotto wrote:Also, how does one make the subtitles scroll (side to side, top to bottom, etc.)?

You could move a title/overlay around in Premiere, or try the SubtitleEx plugin.

BasharOfTheAges wrote:I've also heard the name "sub station alpha" thrown around, i'd look into that if you want anything other than your standard text.

The last version of SSA (4.08) was released in 2000. It's not bad, but I'd look for something more up to date. Aegisub (mentioned above) looked good when I was checking out newer programs. I don't know if I'd use it for an AMV, but it depends on what you're doing and how you're doing it.

Wow. Those two links for subtitle example scripts are quite the informative pieces of information. Perhaps later, though.

As for what I'm doing, I'd planned on doing something similar to the end of your "Hello Fairy" AMV, as far as subtitles go. Optimally, I'd like it to look as though it was subtitled that way on the DVD.

Like if Person A and Person B are conversing in Japanese,

Person A: "I WILL PWN J00 N00B!!1"
Person B: "WTF?"

Do you see what I'm sayin here?
dowhatnow

Postby dokidoki » Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:14 am

jonnkakarotto wrote:As for what I'm doing, I'd planned on doing something similar to the end of your "Hello Fairy" AMV, as far as subtitles go. Optimally, I'd like it to look as though it was subtitled that way on the DVD.

The Mahoro part ("Ice cream truck!") was subtitled with AviSynth.
Code: Select all
v=AVISource("c:\av\ahf\ED\Mahorospeech.avi").AssumeFPS(23.976)
v1=v.Trim(0,10)
v2a=v.Trim(11,125)
v2=v2a.Subtitle("text",align=8,size=30,x=321-2,y=375,text_color=$0).\
Subtitle("text",align=8,size=30,x=321+2,y=375,text_color=$0).\
Subtitle("text",align=8,size=30,x=321,y=375-2,text_color=$0).\
Subtitle("text",align=8,size=30,x=321,y=375+2,text_color=$0).\
Subtitle("text",align=8,size=30,x=321-1,y=375-1,text_color=$0).\
Subtitle("text",align=8,size=30,x=321-1,y=375+1,text_color=$0).\
Subtitle("text",align=8,size=30,x=321+1,y=375-1,text_color=$0).\
Subtitle("text",align=8,size=30,x=321+1,y=375+1,text_color=$0).\
Subtitle("text",align=8,size=30,x=321,y=375)
v1+v2

("text" = "I think that Hell is bad! It gives you ADD!")
I called Subtitle multiple times because I wanted a thicker border.
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki
dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y

Postby dowhatnow » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:27 am

So, if I wanted a subtitle to appear after the other one disappears, I'd make another script, except using different trim times, correct?

Also, I messed around with it a bit, and I noticed the second trim time in that script you posted hacks off the end of the video. What am I doing wrong here?
dowhatnow

Postby Athena » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:21 am

I am also curious how one gets the fansubber karaoke effects? Particularly where letters are all bouncy and cutesy. Think Honkation for an example.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby dokidoki » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:06 pm

jonnkakarotto wrote:So, if I wanted a subtitle to appear after the other one disappears, I'd make another script, except using different trim times, correct?

Well, you don't need another (ie: additional) script, just more commands in the same script...

Also, I messed around with it a bit, and I noticed the second trim time in that script you posted hacks off the end of the video. What am I doing wrong here?

I removed some stuff from the script I posted since it was a bit long. Read up on the Trim command if you haven't. I had "v3a=v.Trim(126,0)" and more Subtitle commands in the script before I cut them.

So you could add at the end above (after removing v1+v2):
v3a=v.Trim(126,0)
v3=v3a.Subtitle("different text",align=8,size=30,x=321,y=375)
v1+v2+v3
Image Image Image
dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y

Postby dowhatnow » Tue Nov 28, 2006 4:56 pm

Thanks a bunch for that.

Now, as for making one subtitle appear with the other appearing directly after it (or under it, like in the Mahoro Speech in Hellø Fairy) while the first subtitle stays on screen. All that is done there is alignment of the subtitles and more trim time adjustments, correct?

And since Kionon mentioned it, Karaoke-style effects can be applied in AE, can't they?
dowhatnow

Postby dokidoki » Tue Nov 28, 2006 5:23 pm

jonnkakarotto wrote:Thanks a bunch for that.

No problem.

Now, as for making one subtitle appear with the other appearing directly after it (or under it, like in the Mahoro Speech in Hellø Fairy) while the first subtitle stays on screen. All that is done there is alignment of the subtitles and more trim time adjustments, correct?

I just ran the Subtitle command multiple times. Change the v3= line above to the following.

v3=v3a.Subtitle("text",align=8,size=30,x=321,y=375).\
Subtitle("different text",align=8,size=30,x=321,y=395)

And since Kionon mentioned it, Karaoke-style effects can be applied in AE, can't they?

Probably, though I don't know exactly which effects you mean. I've seen:
  • Sentence colour changing as a word/syllable is said
  • Text size changing as a word/syllable is said
  • A "bouncing ball"
I did the bouncing ball in LSR with Premiere motion settings.
Image Image Image
dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y

Postby dowhatnow » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:23 pm

Sweet.

So, would I apply the subs after I export in Premiere or during compression into another codec?

That's the only part I'm still a bit confused about.
dowhatnow

Next

Return to Video Editing Software