Off Topic Section Removed

Phade
Site Admin
Org Profile

Off Topic Section Removed

Post by Phade » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:23 pm

Hey All,

It is unfortunate and saddens me that it has come to this. Due to abuse of the system, the Off Topic section of the forum has been removed. It has become too much of a clique/social gathering of people who are not really contributing to world of anime music videos. The amount of effort that is needed to maintain the Off Topic section is detracting from other sections of the forum. Instead of being a place to intelligently discuss interesting topics, the Off Topic section has degraded into a useless lump. From now on, all off topic threads that appear will simply be removed.

I would also like to take this time to remind people that this site has a strict “no downloaded source materials” rule. This means don’t post links on where to obtain source material from unofficial sources (ie. downloading episodes and mp3s and such). If links to unofficial source material are continued to be posted, the site will be forced to shut down the entire forum.

Phade.

SSJVegita0609
Org Profile

Post by SSJVegita0609 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:29 pm

Phade, I'm sorry to do this and I have a great deal of respect for both you and the org, but this upsets me greatly. I'm aware of what you're trying to do, and I'm aware of your motivation behind this move. However, don't you think that removal of these sections will simply increase the amount of spam in other sections? On top of that I feel that any forum, no matter the indicated subject matter, needs a section where people can talk about stuff that has no relation at all whatsoever. I personally love posting in GOT and WOT while I'm editing just to help pass the rendering time. It also helps editors who can't afford to goto cons to get to know one and other a lot better.

I'm not going to do anything stupid like go on a rampage or anything, I'm just expressing my honest opinion to you right here and now. Also, you should at least keep "It's all about me", or some form of introduction section.

I guess I'll have to move the GFX/art contest to demonseal... :?

I doubt I'm going to be the only one to complain.
The best effects are the ones you don't notice.

mckeed
Org Profile

Post by mckeed » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:39 pm

I kind of liked heads up as I had gotten a few deals as result. I don't check the forums all too often so i don't know if that particular section was being abused or not. It seemed to be clean. if what you are saying is true then it was good that you shut them down and I support your actions.
"People can not gain anything without putting forth any effort. That is the absolute Truth" - Dante, Full Metal Alchemist

jonmartensen
Org Profile

Post by jonmartensen » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:42 pm

mckeed wrote:I kind of liked heads up as I had gotten a few deals as result. I don't check the forums all too often so i don't know if that particular section was being abused or not. It seemed to be clean. if what you are saying is true then it was good that you shut them down and I support your actions.
Yes, would you leave "Heads Up" open to posting? I'm sure some people have found it usefull and appreciate people giving them info when good deals are coming up at stores and websites (whether it is anime or computer parts.)

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:45 pm

SSJVegita0609
Org Profile

Post by SSJVegita0609 » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:45 pm

This is just not cool in any way, shape, or form....

I've met and gotten to know so many people who are into amvs through the OT sections... And I've always defended the Org as a great place for amv/anime/music enthusiasts to hang out. But now it feels like its going to be purely buisness and a lot less fun. I see more stupid crap in the anime section of the forum then anywhere else, not to mention all the stupid elitism that crowds the announcement forums whenever a n00b posts a vid. Christ... Phade, if you're going to do this you might as well shut down the whole forum and tell editors to use email or something. :? :cry:
The best effects are the ones you don't notice.

Propyro
Org Profile

Post by Propyro » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:47 pm

Well phade ... i know what you did and why ... i respect you for making a decision for the best that no one really wanted you to make ... but i'm still going ot miss the OT forum ... though i agree with the others. leave the Heads up section there. I never really got to make much use of it, but other people did. and i don't seem to remember a very high volume of traffic in that forum.

[/|\]

wolf_hunter
Org Profile

Post by wolf_hunter » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:49 pm

wow that really suxs :?

if demon seal doesnt provide the love you all need try www.animeguild.net/forum we just got our rpg up and its pretty cool

/shameless plug

anyway carry on :wink:

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:53 pm

I'd just like to voice my approval.

Forum junkies make shity videos. Thats all there is too it. Shity video's aren't fun to watch.

Go Phade.

VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 06, 2003 11:57 pm

When you're running a site and forum with 139645 users who aren't using it for its intended purpose, maybe you can start to understand. The "Off Topic" forums degerated into their own communities, rather than extending the use of the current AMVer community. That's not what they were for, and as such, I fully understand the sentiments for and execution of their demise.

Honestly, if you look at the names posting down there, and the names posting in the rest of the site.. it's two completely different groups. Not cool.

It's Phade's site, and he'll do as he sees fit. If you don't like it, you're always more than welcome to pack-up and move somewhere else. It's the internet; not like you've got nowhere else to go.

I, for one, would like to again applaud the decision.

:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Website: Kanzenshuu |] ::
:: [| AMVs: Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: Flashback (July 2022) |] ::

Return to “Site Announcements”