Why don't people care?

UncleMilo
Org Profile

Why don't people care?

Post by UncleMilo » Tue Jul 30, 2002 7:23 am

I keep wondering why no one cares what was done to three anime titles to make Robotech.

I mean... some guy from the US takes three unrelated shows, hacks them up, rewrites the scripts strings them together like they're all one continuous series and says it's Robotech.

After gutting these series and further humiliating with some amazingly bad dub voices, he then tries to argue his version is better than the original.

He tries to create a bogus animation series that will further his bullsh-- continuity, but he has to change the character designs so he doesn't get sued (which should tell you something right there)

With the added bonuses that not only has he created this abomination, but Harmony Gold then tries to take legal action against anime titles that are legitimate sequals to the original titles...

They held up the release of Macross Plus back in the day... and I'm just not going to go into that.

Sure... I loved Robotech when I was a kid... but when I learned the truth behind it... it made me quite angry.

I just don't know why such a hatchet job on a show is so acceptable to a large portion of anime fans... why so many are like... "well... I liked Robotech, so... it's OK." or "I just like both."

People complain about material being hacked out of anime when it is put on TV all the time... but they seem less bothered by this: the mother of all hack jobs.

I don't know... it just really bothers me and I just felt like ranting... and I'm in a real crappy mood today as well.

-Uncle Milo
There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who divide people into two kinds of groups
and those who don't.

VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:04 am

It's not that people don't care; I assure you they do.

It's that... it's ridiculously old news. Combine that with the fact that at that point in time, there really WASN'T anime as widespread, nevermind on TV... fans take what they get, especially back then.

Really, "Robotech" being three series slashed together the way it was... yes, it was a horrible thing. However, at the same time, it was well over a decade ago.

PLUS...

Fans are not only getting ridiculously cheap DVDs of the "Robotech" dub that they grew up on, but also full, (remastered?) original Japanese language, subbed, DVDs of the original "Macross" and the other associated series of "Robotech."

The reasons that fans get more upset about the way anime is treated these days (in terms of bad releases, say, Cardcrappers), is that with anime becoming so widespread and public, the anime CAN be accepted more in its original fashion by such an audience. When "Cardcaptor Sakura" was treated the way it was, fans were upset not only because of the poor job done on it, but because it didn't reflect the original work... in a time when the original work COULD be appreciated on TV.

The same could be said for the first two seasons of "DragonBall Z," when Saban was handling the distribution under FUNimation. The hack job was pretty darn bad. However, fans got over it. That was '95/'96... six / seven years ago. Now calls are being made within FUNimation to re-release these first two seasons (it's all but officially confirmed) as "director's cut"-type releases with a full original Japanese language track (maybe even a new dub).

More companies are doing what they can, these days, to correct things that were done wrong in the past. The past is the past... at least things are looking much more up than ever.
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Website: Kanzenshuu |] ::
:: [| AMVs: Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: Flashback (July 2022) |] ::

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

Post by CaTaClYsM » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:48 pm

and the slight posibility that some people didn't know.

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Wed Jul 31, 2002 1:27 am

CaTaClYsM wrote:and the slight posibility that some people didn't know.
Dude, everyone knows that Robotech was three different shows.
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

UncleMilo
Org Profile

Post by UncleMilo » Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:33 am

I know it's old news...

My point is - that everyone's buying up the Robotech stuff anyway.

Yes... you can get original Macross on DVD now...

but Harmony Gold is trying to prevent the original Mospeda and Southern Cross coming to US.

Also... it has been a sore point for me for ages... because when Macross Plus came out and I showed it to people... people were asking me "where's the Invid?"

People were telling me that I was a liar and that I didn't know what I was talking about.

This has been an issue that has been a thorn in my side for years and years and now I see a Robotech computer game coming out and people avidly buying Robotech stuff...

and while I have asked this question on more than one occasion...

I just suddenly felt another surge of frustration and posted this topic.

It's a sore subject for me longer than a lot of people here have even known what anime is...

so I'll just never be happy about it.

Anyway... don't mind me... I've been in a terrible mood all week
and I know ranting will do little...

but if I don't scream every now and then, I think I'll explode...

-Uncle Milo
There are two kinds of people in this world:
Those who divide people into two kinds of groups
and those who don't.

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:41 am

Rozard wrote:
EVERYONE!

priuscomet
Org Profile

Post by priuscomet » Wed Jul 31, 2002 2:54 am

SpPANDA wrote:
Rozard wrote:
EVERYONE!
'SCUSE ME!!!! but until about 30 sec ago (i didn't read much of the thread) i've just NOW been enlightened!

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Wed Jul 31, 2002 3:00 am

i uno... i dont fall into the "everyone" catagory...

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:20 am

This is UncleMilo right about now, kinda upset.

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Wed Jul 31, 2002 4:22 am

i dont think i've seen an episode in my life.

Return to “General Anime”