ANIMATION Music Video Contest?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
AnimeFunTV
Org Profile

Re: ANIMATION Music Video Contest?

Post by AnimeFunTV » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:00 pm

I highly support this, as a matter of fact we are set to debut our new rules for 2014 soon for all of our contests that will open the door for everyone to submit any type of animation now. We have had it for about 2 year now in our rules that our AMV submissions aren't just limited to 'Anime', but now we are gonna start pushing it more since we are sponsored by Southwest Animation & Gaming Expo in 2015
AnimeFunTV First & only TV Show in the Nation dedicated to AMV's on Public Access TV & former AMV Contest sanctioning body.
Past Full AFTV Episodes Available on Rumble & Odysee
Other Videos & Projects = Youtube
A UltraSonic Entertainment Production

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:04 pm

Rider4Z wrote:Stop motion is definitely a tough one.... my first thought is i want to say yes to claymation such as Wallace and Grommit, and Chicken Run. I also want to say yes to stop motion puppeteering such as Fantastic Mr. Fox and Nightmare Before Christmas. Because both are considered types of animation in the industry, being nominated for animation oscars proves that.

I worry tho that this would open the door stuff like THIS. While really great stuff, this is going in a direction i wasn't intending on.
That being the case maybe there should be a rule for no/little original animation? Because it seems like through that perspective, there could potentially be hand/computer drawn stuff too.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:12 pm

good thing to keep in mind. thanks :up:

keep your opinions coming please :D

Tsu!
Org Profile

Post by Tsu! » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:12 am

Out of curiosity, have you polled the congoers for Anime Conji about this? I'm wondering if there'd be a bias for or against videos that aren't strictly anime.
Fanime 2014-2015, 2018-2019 AMV Contest - Department Head
Fanime 2016-2017 AMV Contest - Lurking Department Second

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:01 pm

As of right now, Anime Conji has no forum to post such poll (that i am aware) :\ Would be a great idea tho!

Tsu!
Org Profile

Post by Tsu! » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:44 pm

Ah... a pity. Well, that's my primary concern. Having never attended Anime Conji myself, I'm sure you have a better gauge of what the attendees are into and enjoy, but in my experience at other cons there's been an increasing level of grumpiness about non-anime cosplay/events/panels ranging from minor crankiness to serious hostility. I just wonder how your audience would feel about it.

Personally, as an editor, I don't mind one way or the other. I don't particularly have any interest in editing non-anime footage at this time, but the wiggleroom in the rules doesn't hurt. The whole Disney thing does concern me, though. :?
Fanime 2014-2015, 2018-2019 AMV Contest - Department Head
Fanime 2016-2017 AMV Contest - Lurking Department Second

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:58 pm

Still looking for more opinions :D i know this forum is full of opiniontated people and i'm really asking for it this time :uhoh:

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:15 pm

Some cons do this but others stay away from it for the reasons Vlad already stated. This is partly why AWA was always labeling it's AMV contest the VAT awards as the Video Art Track allowed for a broader definition to allow for entries outside of anime - labeling it an AMV contest inherently restricts it (by perception alone).

As to the feasibility or whether or not this will be permitted I will not comment on that for obvious reasons - also as full disclosure this message is NOT endorsed by the SPJA and is not to be construed as the opinion of organization or its organizers - this is my take alone.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:26 pm

thanks, you're a big help X)

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:54 pm

I only ran the Connecticon contest for one year, but having talked to kiarrens who was running it before me, you don't get many western animation video entries unless you know where to go ask for them. Like AWA, CTCon accepts everything, but besides a few Avatar videos and a small number of pony vids (which it's really hard to advertise for as most news places for pony shit won't give you the time of day unless you are a 100% pony con), almost everything we got that wasn't anime, was live action. If you know the communities to promote in, then go for, it. If you don't, then don't expect to get more than a handful of non anime videos - mostly from AMV editors that had another project they worked on.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Return to “AMV Contests”