Counting Stars

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
EllipseIris
Org Profile

Re: Counting Stars

Post by EllipseIris » Fri Aug 30, 2013 4:04 pm

thank you guys I really appreciate your words *.* <3

theDarkSite
Org Profile

Post by theDarkSite » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:34 pm

Just saw the AMV - really nice, I left an opinion as well ;)
PSYence Series in progress... loading...

The eyes are limited in what they can perceive,
whereas the mind is limitless and unfathomable...

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:47 am

Nice and simple, good stuff!

EllipseIris
Org Profile

Post by EllipseIris » Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:37 pm

Thank you theDarkSite for the op ;3 Thanks Kisagi, too ^_^

HydraStar
Org Profile

Post by HydraStar » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:07 pm

It's so lovely! pretty nice video :up:

Himiko
Org Profile

Post by Himiko » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:50 pm

Loved this mvid for its simplicity---really brings back memories of old-school amv editing that happened back in the early 2000's. Back then, amv editors made great mvids because they focused on plot, synch and great song choice. You have all the elements of that here, so kudos to you for bringing back nostalgic memories for me :)

One thing that I absolutely cannot stand, however, is the song. (Which is totally not your fault---it's One Republic's for dropping the ball somewhere).

I *want* to love 'Counting Stars' ---love, love, love it----but it's ruined for me every time because of the high-pitched squeaking that shows up every 20-30 seconds. I'm assuming they screwed up when editing the song because they left in the guitar squeaks, which annoys the hell out of me whenever I hear it, so for me, I can't listen to it too often because it's like nails on a chalkboard for me. Did you notice it when editing? If you did, you must have balls of steel to be able to have to listen to that squeaking over and over again... -____-

Other than that, amazing job! I just wish I could watch it as many times as I wanted without having to take an ice-pick to the head because of that infernal squeaking!! :(

Edit: Subsequently, I noticed that around 2:03 there's a scene splice that shouldn't be there---the transition from the flying fish to Granmamare is off because a closer shot of her is there for a split second before it is replaced with the 'normal' longer shot of her :)

EllipseIris
Org Profile

Post by EllipseIris » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:58 pm

Thank you Maryam, its great to see you around btw :D :)

Himiko: hahaha yes now that i listen, yes i hear the guitarre squeaks, but somehow it doesnt bother me as much as it does you, it hears to be natural for me :o anyway, im glad you liked it, and yes i saw the stucked frame, but i noticed it only after uploading it to everywhere.. you know its a kind of long video, i have made a lot of versionns and renders to it but my eyes just could not notice it for first time i guess :) anyway it annoys me everytime i watch the vid online haha :D

Moonlight Soldier
girl with bells
Org Profile

Post by Moonlight Soldier » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:38 pm

omg, that was adorable~ <3 it

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:38 am

I thought this was pretty nice, but the combination, to me, is pretty lackluster. This song is very spunky, and you took advantage of that with some good beat sync. Though aside from a lyric or two that fit nicely, the anime as a whole didn't really match that well at all. You could have done so much more with something like Howl's Moving Castle. That anime compliments the lyrics very well (lots of star scenes, "old, but I'm not that old", etc) and still keeps the mood that the song is dishing out. For the most part while watching your video, I felt that you ignored the lyrics and tried to tell the story in the movie instead. That's fine and all, but you're not bringing out the best of a great song.

As for the editing, I thought it was good. Try and avoid hardcuts on the slow parts though, I felt that the very beginning could have done better with some softcuts instead. Also, in the future, try and invest some time in practicing/adding pans to your videos. Not the big pans in the beginning of a clip, but a subtle pan throughout the whole clip instead. They really go a long way in making your video look better and be easier on the eyes, especially when you go from a high motion clip to a static one. And lastly, that flurry of flashback clips at the end would have been much better if they were on overlay/screen over a long clip instead of just being there, that was the only thing I wasn't too fond of editing-wise.

It was by no means a bad video, but it could have been so much better in my opinion combination-wise. I still had a pretty good time watching it though. :up:

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”