2013 VCA General Discussions

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby Nya-chan Production » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:18 am

GuntherAMVs wrote:I think this might be a silly question (since I can see from last year that it's true)
but can some videos be in multiple categories for voting?
It seems like there are certain videos that are showing up in several different threads, and that's not a bad thing at all! Congrats to the editors! :'D
But will contest come down to 4 or 5 videos taking all the awards? Does that happen a lot in the VCAs?

(obligatory wizard: :sorcerer: )

Yes, it might happen. Check the last year's results (and the years before are there too) to see how often it happens ;>
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Location: Ward 7F
Status: White bracelet

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby TritioAFB » Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:46 am

Question: do we have a restriction about how many categories a video can win in the VCAs?
Let's say in the case that a video doesn't fit in one category, voting has begun and the author wants to change the genres. Is it possible to do the change during the voting?
ImageImage
User avatar
TritioAFB
Ambassador of the AMVWorld
 
Joined: 04 Sep 2009
Location: Honduras
Status: Doctor

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby BecauseImBored1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:45 am

Radical_Yue wrote:
BecauseImBored1 wrote:Sooooo this seems like a spot to say this. How about people start adding yotube links to their video profiles....not gonna lie when I have to download i skip over and I'm assuming some other people might to.



Because there is the preview option which works exactly like a youtube stream?


hahahah True....I keep forgetting to log in so that options doesnt' show up XD XD My bad
User avatar
BecauseImBored1
 
Joined: 12 Feb 2012

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby l33tmeatwad » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:49 am

Radical_Yue wrote:Because there is the preview option which works exactly like a youtube stream?

Which forces us to rate the video...I often search for a video on youtube first even after finding it on the org so I'm not forced to rate it. I personally prefer to watch a video a few times and put though into rating it, I don't really like being forced into it. Also the audio delay appears to be worse on the org than on youtube, I suspect that youtube's audio codec has a minimal delay while the org probably uses nero or something similar with a 50+ ms delay, causing sync issues.
Sites: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Guides & Scripts: AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
User avatar
l33tmeatwad
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Status: Trolling

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby Nya-chan Production » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:51 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:Because there is the preview option which works exactly like a youtube stream?

Which forces us to rate the video...I often search for a video on youtube first even after finding it on the org so I'm not forced to rate it. I personally prefer to watch a video a few times and put though into rating it, I don't really like being forced into it. Also the audio delay appears to be worse on the org than on youtube, I suspect that youtube's audio codec has a minimal delay while the org probably uses nero or something similar with a 50+ ms delay, causing sync issues.

If you don't, nobody does it. Sad fact~ ^^;
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Location: Ward 7F
Status: White bracelet

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby l33tmeatwad » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:00 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
Radical_Yue wrote:Because there is the preview option which works exactly like a youtube stream?

Which forces us to rate the video...I often search for a video on youtube first even after finding it on the org so I'm not forced to rate it. I personally prefer to watch a video a few times and put though into rating it, I don't really like being forced into it. Also the audio delay appears to be worse on the org than on youtube, I suspect that youtube's audio codec has a minimal delay while the org probably uses nero or something similar with a 50+ ms delay, causing sync issues.

If you don't, nobody does it. Sad fact~ ^^;

This is not true, and I've heard from a few people that because they are forced to, they just rate everything a 3, which skews the ratings a bit too. I've often gone back to rate videos later after having watch it on youtube as well.
Sites: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Guides & Scripts: AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
User avatar
l33tmeatwad
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Status: Trolling

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby BecauseImBored1 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:02 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:This is not true, and I've heard from a few people that because they are forced to, they just rate everything a 3, which skews the ratings a bit too. I've often gone back to rate videos later after having watch it on youtube as well.

I totaly do that......Epecisally when I found an amv i just don't want to finish watching
User avatar
BecauseImBored1
 
Joined: 12 Feb 2012

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby ngsilver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:22 pm

I've never been a fan of the forced rating system so I am one of the people who rates everything a 3, especially since I download hundreds of videos at once to watch at later times, being forced to rate videos every 10 I've downloaded in order to download more is just annoying, especially in VCA times when I wind up downloading a good thousand or so videos all at once....
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
User avatar
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy
 
Joined: 28 Jun 2003
Location: Detroit area
Status: Calm Your Miniature Colorful Horses

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby Nya-chan Production » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:04 pm

ngsilver wrote:I've never been a fan of the forced rating system so I am one of the people who rates everything a 3, especially since I download hundreds of videos at once to watch at later times, being forced to rate videos every 10 I've downloaded in order to download more is just annoying, especially in VCA times when I wind up downloading a good thousand or so videos all at once....

The interesting thing to consider - if it were changed, would we need to reset all the votes? ;>
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Location: Ward 7F
Status: White bracelet

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby ngsilver » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:59 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
ngsilver wrote:I've never been a fan of the forced rating system so I am one of the people who rates everything a 3, especially since I download hundreds of videos at once to watch at later times, being forced to rate videos every 10 I've downloaded in order to download more is just annoying, especially in VCA times when I wind up downloading a good thousand or so videos all at once....

The interesting thing to consider - if it were changed, would we need to reset all the votes? ;>

In light of obtaining a proper data set and thus more accurate scores, probably. Practically, I don't consider this a very viable option, especially for older videos that are rarely downloaded. In the end, I think it'd be better left up to the editors themselves each if they'd like their data to be purged or left as is. The default in this case would be to leave the data as is, basically preserving the current rating for videos and editors who are not around anymore.

In the end, I will once again be downloading every video in the Semi's this year in order to play them during my livestream event for the VCAs. Prepare for a lot of 3's |:>
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
User avatar
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy
 
Joined: 28 Jun 2003
Location: Detroit area
Status: Calm Your Miniature Colorful Horses

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby l33tmeatwad » Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:18 pm

I say take off the mandatory rating, but leave the current scores, no sense in resetting them.
Sites: Website | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube
Guides & Scripts: AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | Anime Upscale
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Facebook | Tumblr | Twitter | YouTube
User avatar
l33tmeatwad
 
Joined: 16 Feb 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Status: Trolling

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby snapxynith » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:14 pm

I think it would nice and potentially wise to make a torrent of the VCA videos.
User avatar
snapxynith
 
Joined: 07 Jun 2004

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:36 pm

Yea, let's kill off the driver of the most downloads anyone gets anymore. :roll:
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2014 & Head of the AAC Fan-works Theater - follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/AACFanTheater
:sorcerer: :sorcerer: |RD: "Oh, Action!" (side-by-side) | |
User avatar
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
 
Joined: 14 Sep 2004
Location: Merrimack, NH
Status: Extreeeeeeeeeme

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby AceD » Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:38 pm

ngsilver wrote:I've never been a fan of the forced rating system so I am one of the people who rates everything a 3, especially since I download hundreds of videos at once to watch at later times, being forced to rate videos every 10 I've downloaded in order to download more is just annoying, especially in VCA times when I wind up downloading a good thousand or so videos all at once....
I am guilty of this as well unless it's a good video that i can clearly remember. Probably why i often go to a site like amvnews or ketsuryu to download when possible. Would be better if it wasn't mandatory |:>
User avatar
AceD
I AM THE BEST
 
Joined: 07 Dec 2002
Status: Lurking

Re: 2013 VCA General Discussions

Postby zibbazabba905 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 pm

i usually see it as a first impression rating
"Uhmmm... You know... it was at that point that I realized that maybe Thierry wasn't actually a film maker, and he was maybe just someone with mental problems who happened to have a camera. " -Banksy
User avatar
zibbazabba905
 
Joined: 27 Aug 2010

PreviousNext

Return to 2013 AnimeMusicVideos.Org Viewer's Choice Awards

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest