Thanks in part to advice I got on the forum here, and in part to a wonderful, well-timed sale, I finally bit the bullet and got myself a much-needed new computer. Now I seem to be living out a tech version of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" as I make a few additional purchases for my new computer. Next on the list is editing software, needed especially soon so I can make a surprise AMV for friends who are getting married at the end of the month (their first date was a FLCL marathon). My old software is not so happy with the updated OS, plus it's about 6 years old anyway.
At the moment, I'm trying out some of the trial versions of various software, but without a lot of time to really give them good test runs, I'd like to know if any of you have tried out good editing software and can give me an idea as to what to expect. Here are the main features I'm looking for:
1) Stability, especially with Windows 7 64-bit. I don't want it to be crashing every two minutes
2) Multiple audio/video tracks. Doesn't have to be insane (I probably won't be using 100), but enough to have a few layers, if needed
3) Special effects/transitions/chroma key capabilities, preferably customizable. I don't want to have to buy another product to just to get the effects I need. I don't use effects too extensively, except to put a trial of a product through its paces, but I do use them enough to know I'll need it. Sometimes you just need a little something extra to make it just right
4) Price range: Maybe up to about $150, give or take. Preferably less (aiming for around $100)
Here are my computer specs, so you can see what my constraints are:
- Intel Core i7-2670QM Quad Core Processor
- Nvidia Geforce GT 540m 1gb dedicated graphics with 500gb 7200rpm sata hard drive
- 6gb (4gb+2gb) 1333mhz ddr3 memory
- Blu-ray drive rom with dvd supermulti
- Windows 7 home premium sp1 64 bit
I'm currently testing Adobe Premier Elements 10, Cyberlink PowerDirector 10, and Corel Video Studio Pro x5, but I'm open to any suggestions.
Does anyone have any recommendations/warnings? Especially if you have the same OS as me, I'd really like to hear what you have to say.
"They say that there is no medicine that can cure a fool... I guess that's true." (Potion shop's old woman- LoZ OoT)