The Lip Flapper : Volume 19 - Chiikaboom

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Re: The Lip Flapper : Volume 19 - Chiikaboom

Post by Ileia » Wed May 16, 2012 1:15 am

Arigatomina wrote:
Ileia wrote:Even just in this thread, you're so not in the minority, I'm not sure where you're getting that idea, aside from my one post. :p
The org as a whole gives that impression.
Yeah, I suppose I can agree with that to a certain degree, but I don't think the Org is really all that devoid of "actual anime fans". I think it's similar to what Bashar said, we have both extremes and everything in-between, there is no wrong way to eat a Reese's to enjoy this hobby.* I actually get way more comments here about the anime I used than any other aspect of my videos ("Sweet, I love *blank*!" and "Holy crap, I need to watch this anime now!"). I get PMs asking my opinion on anime I've used in AMVs, and I get asked for recommendations on a fairly regular basis. Those fans are still out there, perhaps they're quiet, but they're not completely silent. The amount of comments has actually always made me feel like a minority for not being really into about the anime aspect of the AMV-editing. And, really, I think the Org being quiet is due to many other factors, but that's for another thread. :uhoh:

*To clarify, I do enjoy some anime, there are some that I even love and make videos with from time to time, I'm not all "booo anime sucks" I just wouldn't call myself an anime fan.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Wed May 16, 2012 1:27 am

Chiikaboom wrote:
Shin-AMV wrote:will someone please think of the aardvarks!? ;_;
Its too late THEY'VE ALL BEEN FLENDED

The Horror!

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Wed May 16, 2012 1:38 am

good read chiikaboom :up: you got balls. (i know she doesn't have balls, so shut up)

ibabrak
Org Profile

Post by ibabrak » Wed May 16, 2012 3:19 am

I loved the interview as well as your opinions :awesome:
I'm not sure what I edit for. I edit because I love the show... in like 2/3 on timeline I get sick of editting that stuff but I love what I've already editted so I just finish it. But yeah, I have to agree, if you don't love the show can you make an awesome video and put everything you got into it.
ImageImage

Kireblue
Forum Admin
Org Profile

Post by Kireblue » Wed May 16, 2012 6:31 am

I edit because I love the combinations. Almost all of my videos were made simply because I felt that a particular anime was so perfect for the song I choose, that it had to be done.

Oh and, thanks Code and Chiikaboom for taking the time to do this interview. Chiikaboom is probably the most well known and respected editor of all time, so its always nice to hear her opinion on things.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Wed May 16, 2012 7:35 am

I gave more thought to this last night and it occurred to me that this site isn't filled with tons of hardcore music enthusiasts either, and nobody seems to get upset about that. Anime and Music are really just the mediums used here. People must like the mediums at least a little to bother using them, right? Otherwise it'd be more work than fun. And that gets expressed differently with different people. Just because someone has a reserved personality or is capable of feeling things like shame and embarrassment doesn't make them any less appreciative than squeeing fangirls making fools of themselves at a local con's Voice Actor roundup.

Another interesting bit - I bring this up because I find the irony humorous in this context. The concept of "otaku" co-opted by American anime fans to mean 'super fan' or the like, is actually more properly defined as someone who's obsessively fixated on a thing. It's characterized by someone who gives the same amount of seriousness to both work and play. The literal embodiment of srs bsns. How's that for a mindfuck?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Centurione
Org Profile

Post by Centurione » Wed May 16, 2012 1:23 pm

That was a good read. It reminded me that it should be just fun (I got pretty upset with a few messages about my AMVs I got from some people lately). I'd love to be a professional editor in future but this reminded me I don't need to be so serious about AMVs and I shouldn't mix these two things much. It's good to read this from one of my favourite editors, thanks <3

AyumiNeko
Org Profile

Post by AyumiNeko » Wed May 16, 2012 3:06 pm

Awesome read!

And I love your AMVs Chii. :up:

Guess it doesn't really matter if person edits with anime they watched or not, as long as they have fun creating the video.
Though, personally I could never edit with footage I never watched before and enjoy it.

shati
Org Profile

Post by shati » Wed May 16, 2012 5:11 pm

I don't mind at all if people edit using shows they don't care for (I probably love a lot of those videos), but nice interview. Imagica is one of my favorite amvs of all time (of all time), and part of that is the way it really uses the context of the clips instead of just the visuals on the screen at that moment. Watching it really feels like I'm watching something about all the magical girl shows in it, not just something using them as raw parts. All the feels.

That, and the end is genius.

Rendakor
Falling Like A Star
Org Profile

Post by Rendakor » Wed May 16, 2012 10:50 pm

Great interview!

I agree with Chii; I can only really edit with anime (and music) that I love. My favorite types of AMVs are the ones that make me want to watch the show they used, or listen to more of the musical artist.
Image Image

Return to “General AMV”