Ripping Blu-ray movies

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling your footage. If you have questions about capturing/ripping footage, AviSynth, or compression/encoding/converting, look here.

Re: Ripping Blu-ray movies

Postby Mister Hatt » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:47 am

For the record, m2ts and vob are not even close to the same thing technically or otherwise. And MPG is a completely different container even further away from MPEG2-TS and MPEG2-PS. BRMPEG isn't a legit format name either. Renaming files will not change the container they are so that won't actually work unless it bullies a different demuxer into action, and in this case it won't. MeGUI and friends don't give a shit what your input format is when x264 doesn't support it and they don't include their own demuxers. x264 DOES support m2ts sorta. Anything else?
Mister Hatt

Postby Songbird21 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:58 am

This is most likely a dumb question but, please indulge me. Do I need a blu ray drive for my comp to do this or will my DVD drive read it?
Songbird21

Postby NeoQuixotic » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:31 am

Yes, a Blu-ray drive is required. Blu-ray and DVD require different lasers for reading the media. An internal drive should cost about $60 and external probably $80-100. And more expensive if you want to actually burn Blu-rays.
Insert clever text/image here.
NeoQuixotic
Master Procrastinator

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:18 am

After having been a somewhat early adopter of bluray burners, I'll definitely say they're not worth it. Just go for the regular BRD drive. USB3 externals are good enough for just about anything else.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Postby Songbird21 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:47 pm

Works for me. Thankfully I have drive slot left.
Songbird21

Previous

Return to Footage Help