Which Editing Program Should I Use??

For help and discussion about specific video editing systems like Adobe software, Windows Movie Maker, Magix, Sony Vegas, etc. Please note the subforums.

Which Editing Program Should I Use??

Postby LordNog » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:58 pm

Okay, so right now I'm just using Microsoft MovieMaker because it's free and easy to use. But now I want to upgrade and take it to the next level with effects and such. So forum, which editing program do you think is the best for the money?
LordNog

Re: Which Editing Program Should I Use??

Postby Radical_Yue » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:45 pm

LordNog wrote:Okay, so right now I'm just using Microsoft MovieMaker because it's free and easy to use. But now I want to upgrade and take it to the next level with effects and such. So forum, which editing program do you think is the best for the money?

This is completely suggestive. :/

Everyone is going to have something different to say about which editing program they like the best.

Most popular editing programs have free demos available that you can play with for about 30 days or so.

Check out Adobe Premiere, Sony Vegas and Magix.

Adobe Premiere would be the most advanced with the ability to use programs such as After Effects along side it. Vegas is made for more simplistic editing but can pull off some nice effects if proper time and dedication is spent on it. As for Magix, I've always considered it a middle ground between Vegas and Premiere. It's interface is more like Premiere but without the easy integration of After Effects that is offered with the Adobe software, it takes on a Vegas approach where effects are possible but not as accessible.

Magix is the cheapest.
Both Vegas and Premiere come at pretty high price tags and buying the full CS*insertnumberyouwant* suite from Adobe will bring the price tag up much higher.

Once more, everything above is my opinion and completely suggestive. As will be 99.9% of the responses you receive that are not pony picture spam.
Radical_Yue
stuck in a room with a moose

Postby Radical_Yue » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Also, replace everytime I said "suggestive" with subjective.
Radical_Yue

Postby CodeZTM » Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:16 pm

Yue pretty much hit it perfectly on the head. :up:

The only thing I might offer outside of her advice is that you might download the trial versions of all the software [I think they still offer trials on some of these things] and see which ones you enjoyed working with the most.

Oh, and check out youtube clips to get tips on how to edit with them if you get stuck while learning. I know that Corsair has done some pretty neat tutorials with After Effects. But remember that "playing" with the software is generally the best way to learn [or at least how I see it].
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby Radical_Yue » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:56 pm

CodeZTM wrote:The only thing I might offer outside of her advice is that you might download the trial versions of all the software [I think they still offer trials on some of these things] and see which ones you enjoyed working with the most.

Radical_Yue wrote:Most popular editing programs have free demos available that you can play with for about 30 days or so.

I win.

*falls over from exhaustion*
Radical_Yue

Postby LordNog » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:05 pm

Haha, thanks guys. And yeah, suggestive is what I'm looking for. I want to know which program you guys enjoyed using the most and what you enjoyed most about it. I could've thumbed through any forum to hear what you just told me about Adobe Premeire, Magix and Vegas, and have. I just wanted to get you guys' hands on opinion haha. Sorry, I should've been more specific.
LordNog

Postby CodeZTM » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:15 pm

Haha. Sorry Yue, I should have read that more carefully. XD

Anyway, if you want my opinon, I've played with all three software, and I personally like Premier Pro the best. It's easy to drag/drop stuff on the timeline, and I feel like you can place/edit footage much easier than Vegas does, and the settings are very easy to change. That being said, I've heard the exact opposite from Vegas editors, who say Vegas does that a lot easier than Premier Pro.

In the end, you can't go wrong with any of them. :D
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round

Postby gotenks794 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:45 pm

When I'm using a PC to edit (rarely) I like to use Magix. It's a bit limiting compared to more Pro software, but it's so easy to use. Although maybe that's just me, because I'm a Final Cut user, and I find the Magix interface to be the most similar.
MAC is a cosmetics brand. Mac is the superior computing platform. It's not an acronym.
gotenks794

Postby AaronAMV » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:38 am

use imovie but install it on a pc
AaronAMV
eating that e. coli spinach

Postby Fire_Starter » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:39 am

Skittles was done in Magix, was it not? Also, FCPX is probably best avoided until Apple gets their head out of their ass...
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010
Fire_Starter

Postby LordNog » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:06 pm

Okie doke. Thanks for the input guys. I think I might go with Vegas just because I'm a diehard Sony lover. But who knows Adobe Premeire might work out better for me. I'll have to get the demos of both and see for mysef. Thanks again!!
LordNog

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:39 pm

Fire_Starter wrote:Skittles was done in Magix, was it not?
yes, +Photoshop +Particle Illusion

LordNog wrote:Okie doke. Thanks for the input guys. I think I might go with Vegas just because I'm a diehard Sony lover. But who knows Adobe Premeire might work out better for me. I'll have to get the demos of both and see for mysef. Thanks again!!
Maybe I'm a tad late, but ima post this anyway...

-------------------

Before you pick a program:
- Be weary of the version of the program you are getting. Some lack certain features.
- Premiere Pro has all the features unlocked.
- Premiere Elements (consumer grade) is very gibbled (framerate/settings control, effects etc...)
- Certain versions of Vegas (like Pro) have masktools build into the program. Others don't.
- Be aware of how widely used a program is for finding online tutorials/support
- Like others mentioned, check out the free trials

And here is my very biased opinion of some NLE's (I use Magix, so that in mind, like Yue warned about...):

Magix
    ...is kind-of limited in terms of effects (no mask tools for cutting out characters frame-by-frame), but you can always use GIMP (free) and save using .png format that retains the alpha/transparent channel of the image. So that's not a problem. One of the biggest advantages of Magix is the interface and controls are really intuitive, and there are hotkey labels for almost everything: Zoom in/out using ctrl + mouse wheel... or you can jump to specific zoom-levels with ctrl+1...2...3... . Cut simply by pressing the 't' button. Fades are created in a split second using the handles on the corners of objects in the timeline. Layer stack-order is in reverse which is better for workflow (IMO). Comes with automatic scene detection/splitting simply via right-click. If you are using an editing-friendly format (like UT Video), scrubbing the timeline is lightning fast (My impression is on par with Premiere Pro).
    So for raw editing with effects handled externally, Magix is a champ.
      Price: ~$60 and from what I could tell, it's not much different from the Plus version (~$100) or even the Pro X version (~$400), at lease for making AMVs. Keep in mind it doesn't have as wide a user-base, so it's not as easy to find tutorials or get support if you need it.

Vegas
    ...has controls almost the same as Magix, (just make sure Vegas can recognize your mouse wheel button for zooming in/out... or it will be really difficult to navigate the timeline) and for Vegas Pro, you can even customize hotkeys for certain functions, or create them if you know how to write scripts (like jumping to zoom-levels, which Vegas does not have out of the box). Even if using an editing-friendly-format, and disabling resample/deinterlace/field order and using different preview modes.... I've experienced Vegas still has minor lag when scrubbing the timeline compared to Magix or Premiere-- however RAM preview kind-of makes up for that: The timeline might not be as fast, but the preview (even with full effects) will be liquid smooth just by hitting shift+b, depending on how much RAM your computer has. Does not have automatic scene detection for some reason. Has a wide user-base.
    So for a range of simple to advanced tasks in one package, Vegas is a good choice, depending on the version you get.
      Price: ~$50-100. The Pro version is ~$600, and I found it to be very feature-rich compared to the consumer-grade versions (like masktools, hotkey assignment, and a wide range of key-framed effects)

Premiere/AE (After Effects):
    [The following has been crossed out to avoid providing misleading information. I certainly have not mastered Premiere, so keep in mind what I have written is based on my limited experiences with the program]...I really don't like the interface. You can supposedly do the most with this combo (I get the impression Vegas Pro can do almost as much aside from semi-automatic masking). The thing is, [for me] it feels a little more tiring to do simple tasks like cutting and fading. If you don't want to switch between the Razor/Selection tool there is no one-touch cut button, unless you set a hotkey for it; and there are no one-step linear fades either (like other programs where you just drag the corner of the clip) Instead you got to use keyframes, which can give you more control of your fades, but isn't as convenient as some other programs. Some people may like this, some people may not, and it could take some time getting used to the program to learn it's advantages. But based on my experiences, Premiere is not for me (though I do play with it from time to time). As a suggestion, if you are more comfortable using another program, you can always do your basic editing with the program of your choice, then use AE by itself afterwards... which is what I recommend doing... (it is called 'After' Effects for a reason; it's more of an effects-compositing program than an NLE). Things just won't integrate as seamlessly as when using Premiere with AE (Premiere can export it's timeline directly to AE without needing to render an intermediate... although if you use Vegas with DebugMode Frameserver, you can frameserve your Vegas timeline to AE... which can help... but it's not a perfect workaround... ).
    So if there are certain advanced things you can't seem to do in another program, Premiere/AE seems like the way to go.

Price: Expen$ive (~$800 for the full version which you would want...)

Final Cut Pro:
    ...I don't have a Mac to test FCP; and besides, Mac's can't natively run important tools like AviSynth, etc... amongst all sorts of other useful windows-based tools.
    So if you are chained to a Mac, use FCP.
      Price: ~$300 (down from $1000. Oh Apple, you have such good marketing gimmicks >.>)

DebugMode Wax:
    ...at the moment, I would say this is the closest thing to a free program for making AMV's. Unfortunately, it's more of an effects-compositing program with the layered-interface similar to AE (if you have 100 clips, you need 100 layers... or at least that's the way it seems to work...), so I don't know if you want to use only Wax for making AMV's. Also you are pretty much forced to make clips with VirtualDub beforehand unless you really want to trim each layer separately in the timeline. Alternatively you could serve trim() scripts natively with AviSynth if you know how. I suppose, if you are very tech-oriented, this could actually be quite powerful-- even has Dynamic RAM preview.
    So if you are on a budget, and don't mind a high learning curve, DebugMode Wax is a viable option.
      Price: Free

Personally I use Magix, but I'm currently working on customizing Vegas Pro to make it work the way Magix does (I already have some custom scripts for creating zoom-level-hotkeys with ctrl+1..2..3; and I'm working on some automatic scene detection with AviSynth. I still haven't figured out a way to fully disable the stupid loop region though... ._.)

~Phan
Last edited by Phantasmagoriat on Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
Phantasmagoriat

Postby TritioAFB » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:38 pm

Man I´ve always wanted someone to explain the differences between the programs. I remembered when I first tested Magix and then passed to Vegas, but I didn´t know many points you mentioned. Now I feel like I should return to Magix :(
Making AMVs by day, Going to Gym by Night
ImageImage
TritioAFB
Ambassador of the AMVWorld

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:43 am

TritioAFB wrote:Man I´ve always wanted someone to explain the differences between the programs. I remembered when I first tested Magix and then passed to Vegas, but I didn´t know many points you mentioned. Now I feel like I should return to Magix :(
Well, you could retry the program, and after using Vegas, Magix should seem pretty similar--unless you are going from Vegas Pro to Magix, in which case Magix will seem way too basic. There's a world of difference between Vegas Pro and Magix. Even "Vegas Studio HD Platinum" or whatever fancy name it has is nothing compared to the Pro version. So if you like doing effects, Magix will feel very dull. Otherwise for basic raw-editing it works quite well.
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
Phantasmagoriat

Postby BasharOfTheAges » Wed Sep 21, 2011 4:11 pm

CodeZTM wrote:Haha. Sorry Yue, I should have read that more carefully. XD

Wait - why would you bother reading other people's posts on topics? If we all did shit like that there wouldn't be hundreds of threads in this section of the forums asking the exact same questions over and over; and then where would we be?
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?

Next

Return to Video Editing Software