Premier CS3 audio cuts out

Discussion and help related to Adobe video software goes here. e.x. Premiere, After Effects, Photoshop, etc.

Premier CS3 audio cuts out

Postby ngsilver » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:20 am

I've been experiencing this problem ever since I upgraded to Windows 7. I first attributed it to using an older PC and an IDE hard drive and a small amount of ram. But now I've moved to a new PC that shouldn't be hindering the editing program at all. My CPU and RAM utilization while editing and during preview barely touches 20%. So I'm a little stumped for a cause other then editing with CS3 on Windows7 Pro 64bit.

Basically, as the title suggests, when I preview my timeline in premier the audio will randomly cut out for 2~5 second intervals randomly. This generally only takes place when I've rendered the timeline but not always. I'm editing with UTVideo files and WAV audio. My render codec is pic-video mjpeg that I've never had issues with since I started using it like 9 years ago. Basically, when the audio cuts out I don't hear the audio and the in the audio master meter I keep next to the timeline the audio level just drops off. It'll then pick back up again in 2~5 seconds only to drop in another 2~5 seconds.

The real odd thing is that there is no pause, slowdown, or anything in the video playback. It's just the audio that does this. Video data takes a lot more bandwidth to move then audio, so I'm really confused about this error that I was expecting to leave behind when I built the new PC.

Any ideas?
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Re: Premier CS3 audio cuts out

Postby ngsilver » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:30 am

Here's a video of the problem happening live: http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/13475919

This error gets really annoying when I'm trying to preview a good 30 seconds of footage to be sure it all flows how I want it to and syncs up accordingly. The only real way to actually preview is to export the video and then preview it.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby Pwolf » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 pm

what format is the audio, i can't tell from the video.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle

Postby Pwolf » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:59 pm

Pwolf wrote:what format is the audio, i can't tell from the video.

nm, you said WAV in the first post -_-
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pwolf

Postby Pwolf » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 pm

print screen your sequence settings.
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pwolf

Postby ngsilver » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:51 am

I should also add that this error only started to show up after I moved to Windows 7. I never saw it when I was using XP Pro 64bit. My sequence settings haven't really changed much either. I don't think it's the 23.97 timecode, as this also happens when I use 29.97 and 24.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby post-it » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:42 pm

? are you editing this sequence while it is in Mjpeg -or- RAW?
( this almost sounds like the same "Magix VideoDeluxe" error with DirectX 8a years ago! )
.. ? .. Your XP-64 had DirectX -- right? ... .. Does System7 come with DirectX-10 built-in
or do you have to download it separately???
post-it

Postby Pwolf » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:06 pm

post-it wrote:? are you editing this sequence while it is in Mjpeg -or- RAW?
( this almost sounds like the same "Magix VideoDeluxe" error with DirectX 8a years ago! )
.. ? .. Your XP-64 had DirectX -- right? ... .. Does System7 come with DirectX-10 built-in
or do you have to download it separately???

7 comes with directx11
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pwolf

Postby ngsilver » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:48 pm

Welp, I finally got my 2nd SSD installed. I'm transferring (copying) the source/project files to the SSD I got just for editing. I wanted the extra speed over the 7200RPM drives I've been using, and I think it'd be a good test to see if it is the standard platter style drive. Though TBH I don't think it is the platter style drive that's causing it, but at this point I'm kinda grasping at any straw I can... I'll report back my findings.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby ngsilver » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:05 pm

At first things were hopeful... however after doing some work on my video the audio drop started happening again. Read speeds don't seem to be the issue here and I'm at a loss. Anyone else seen this issue before or have any clue what it is?
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby Pwolf » Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:06 pm

ngsilver wrote:At first things were hopeful... however after doing some work on my video the audio drop started happening again. Read speeds don't seem to be the issue here and I'm at a loss. Anyone else seen this issue before or have any clue what it is?

have you updated directx at all? also, have you tried anything other then picvideo for the preview codec? like dv?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pwolf

Postby Panky » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:32 pm

Clearly read speeds can't be at fault in this case, given that you don't have any problem with video and you haven't had this problem before upgrading to Win7. I would suggest you to update Win7 (if you didn't up to this moment).
This happens with all audio as well, right? Check with other format, if it fails in the same parts of the track (although I read randomly over there) or others things you could rule out to help determining the problem. Also, this could be naive from my part, but there isn't any chance an antivirus software is bothering the preview process as well?
Panky

Postby Pwolf » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:47 pm

does this happen only when you render the preview or anytime you just let it play?
ImageImage
ImageImage
Pwolf

Postby ngsilver » Sun Mar 27, 2011 7:16 am

As far as anti-virus goes, I wouldn't expect that would be the cause, however I haven't gone anti-virus free since I moved to Win7. I used MS Security Essentials (cuz' it's free and works well imo, not that I need it for much) and used it on XP as well. Windows is up-to-date.

As for audio, I don't like to use other formats when editing, but I have tested with mp3 audio and it also will reflect this error. It isn't the same spots in the song as the spots this happens changes between play throughs, even when I start at the same spot or different spots in the time line. I've tried listening for a pattern, but I can't pick one out other then it happens about every 2~5 secs.

As for directx, I think I've updated it. I know I installed a version when I put the new GPU in that supported DX11. I'll check on that.

I don't remember using preview without rendering at least some parts of the timeline, as sync would start to fail after a few seconds without rendering. Though I think I'll give it a shot tonight after work to see. Also, I'll see about switching to perhaps utvideo as the render codec (hopefully there's enough space on the scratch disk for that.)

So yeah, I'll give both of those a shot and see what happens.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby ngsilver » Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:32 pm

Haven't updated DX yet, but I've been testing without rendering the timeline and thanks to the drive and the speedyness of utvideo I'm not getting any sync failures. I've also tried to pre-render with utvideo and that also seems to be working well.

I've kind of been suspecting the audio render actually. Since before the video renders it renders peaks for the audio and for some reason once that happens audio seems to die out, but when I delete those files I don't have a problem.

Either way, I think, at least in my preliminary testing, that it was picvideo causing the issue. Not really sure why something that has never been a problem is suddenly giving me one, but it is an old codec designed to be used with smaller HDs. Grant it, my SSD for editing is only 80Gbs in size so I need to watch it (my source on that drive for Dance 7 is totaling 55Gigs as it is) but I think that may have been the solution. I'm planning on finishing up the video tonight so I'll continue to test while this is going on and report my findings after.

Hopefully, we found the issue. Thanks for the ideas.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Next

Return to Adobe Software