KATSUCON 2011 contest Winners AND Standings!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
sonicfan74
Org Profile

Re: KATSUCON 2011 contest Winners AND Standings!

Post by sonicfan74 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:39 am

DRAMA - 377 total votes received
5. "Brothers in Arms" by Daniel Solon
4. "With Me" by Sky
3. "Letting Go" by Miracle Falcon
2. "Your Own Feet" by Bebop0083 - 108 votes
1. "To the Future" by Kazemon15 - 124 votes

well i would be lying if i sad i wasnt a little disappointed with only 5th place but hey I'm glad I got in. congrats to the winners

SammySamaProductions
Org Profile

Post by SammySamaProductions » Mon Feb 21, 2011 1:55 am

sonicfan74 wrote:
well i would be lying if i sad i wasnt a little disappointed with only 5th place but hey I'm glad I got in. congrats to the winners

I know the feeling, I placed near the bottom in my categories as well. Though I am a bit discouraged this is only the second Con that I entered into and had videos shown at. I consider that a great honor just to make the finalists! And considering I've submitted something to my first two contests ever (katsu and ama) and had videos shown at both makes me very happy. You tend to notice that trends change and from my recon at AMA I noticed some people vote on a video based on what series was used rather than the editing skills, which is okay I guess... But we take these experiences and we learn and move on. Keep playing around and I'm sure you'll be able to make a great video that will win the audience over and knock the competition dead!!!! :D
ImageImage
ImageImage

Davis 51
Org Profile

Post by Davis 51 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:42 am

Deuce Loosely wrote:
Davis 51 wrote:...I seem to come in third place for just about every Con I enter, regardless of the size of the category.
First place became a lock when we realized "Me" had half the votes with more on the way.
The race for second was more interesting.
Just don't be discouraged.
It's been a tough year for comedy all around, sad to say.
You had balls enough to put something out there when others won't and you did make the finals, after all, which is more than the majority of editors ever get.
I thought 2008 would be my year when I brought out "Me Wuvs You" and "Go Ask Haruhi."
The novelty of being runner-up wore off after the third time so yeah, I know where you're coming from.
Keep at it and never stop learning new things about this medium of fan art. ;)
Oh, no, I'm far from discouraged. It's always absolutely thrilling just to have my work screened. This was supposed to be a fun, quickly thrown together thing based off a complete whim (only really spent two weeks editing it when my Avatar/Wake Up and Cowboy Bebop/My Body is a Cage videos took over two combined years.) I'm always surprised as hell whenever something of mine gets obscenely close to being 2nd or 1st (I was told that I nearly came in second overall for best vid at Nekocon). I was merely observing that this seems to be a highly coincidental pattern forming that it always tends to be in 3rd place, and not 2nd or 4th or 5th or whatever.

And I wholeheartedly agree with you. Imma gonna be editing for awhile, and will always strive to improve. I do plan on entering my Bebop one into at least one more contest (I only entered it into AUSA so far, and it didn't make finals there), and I actually have this really big Romance/Sentimental vid planned for Otakon this year that I plan to start editing next week.

Not too surprised Me got so many votes. The thing is hysterical. Best character-portrayal vid I've ever seen outside She's Just Oblivious.
Under The Box Productions is my studio.
My youtube page is: http://www.youtube.com/user/UnderTheBoxProduct

moonbunnychan
Org Profile

Post by moonbunnychan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:57 am

Ha, I feel you on the runner up blues. I have more second places now then I can even remember. Although I'm still happy enough people liked it to vote, honestly I'm just happy to have things I made even make it in to be seen.
And I loved all the "Awwws" after my Romance video this year. <3

Congrats to everybody!

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:36 am

Best Comedy and Best in Show???????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KEWL!!!!!!!!!! :)

Congrats to all!
Not too surprised Me got so many votes. The thing is hysterical. Best character-portrayal vid I've ever seen outside She's Just Oblivious.
Thanks!
Last edited by HalOfBorg on Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Miracle_Falcon
Org Profile

Post by Miracle_Falcon » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:00 am

sonicfan74 wrote: well i would be lying if i sad i wasnt a little disappointed with only 5th place but hey I'm glad I got in. congrats to the winners
For what it's worth, I talked to people after the contest, and asked what they thought the results would be. I remember asking a fellow editor this, and they thought that yours was a main contender - maybe it's just one of those things where editors like it more because they can realize all that went into it?
SammySamaProductions wrote: You tend to notice that trends change and from my recon at AMA I noticed some people vote on a video based on what series was used rather than the editing skills, which is okay I guess...
Yeah, I mean, it's their right. I still find it irritating, though that's probably just me being a sore loser. I honestly felt like I was gonna at least place in drama, and then was disappointed when I did see what won...

Actually, speaking of what won. :shock:
Deuce Loosely wrote:DRAMA - 377 total votes received
5. "Brothers in Arms" by Daniel Solon
4. "With Me" by Sky
3. "Letting Go" by Miracle Falcon
2. "Your Own Feet" by Bebop0083 - 108 votes
1. "To the Future" by Kazemon15 - 124 votes
Okay, maybe I'm nuts. But I was there yesterday, and "Your Own Feet" was announced as the winner, and screened, NOT "To the Future." Am I remembering this correctly....? I know that Gene called for Kazemon to come up, but I don't remember seeing To the Future screened yesterday - while I definitely remember Your Own Feet being played. So, the way I see it, there are three options:
1: I'm nuts, pure and simple.
2: Your Own Feet won some sort of special award and I'm just not remembering To The Future being screened (though it was my own category, and I think I'd remember).
3: Some sort of mix up occurred - perhaps Kazemon was correctly credited as winning, but the wrong video was paired with their name?
Last edited by Miracle_Falcon on Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:19 am

Miracle_Falcon wrote:
SammySamaProductions wrote: You tend to notice that trends change and from my recon at AMA I noticed some people vote on a video based on what series was used rather than the editing skills, which is okay I guess...
Yeah, I mean, it's their right. I still find it irritating, though that's probably just me being a sore loser. I honestly felt like I was gonna at least place in drama, and then was disappointed when I did see what won...
People vote for videos of series they know for the most part. You can make what you think is the best romance AMV ever (and it very well could be), but if most of the audience doesn't know the characters, they don't have those "feeling" that you put into it and they don't "understand" the romance as much as someone who has SEEN that particular series. I personally try to use well known shows, but I try to use them at a time when they are not currently being overused.

Also, for the NSFW contest, did it still have the Judge's Choice, Coordinator's Choice, and Con Chair's Award's still or were they scrapped with the categories due to only being 8 videos?
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Kosmit
Slippery Pole
Org Profile

Post by Kosmit » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:30 am

Deuce Loosely wrote:
CorpseGoddess wrote:So, no "nsfw" contest, then?
Oh, it happened.
BOY did it happen...like wow!
For a first-year contest it went over like it's been around for five.
I only have titles but I'm sure the detailed results will be posted shortly after Toni (Crona) gets home.
I can tell you the winner left the rest of the pack shattered in the vote count.
Like they got well over 100 and the others in single-digits.

3. "Nom Nom Nom"
2. "DPH" by CorpseGoddess
1. "the Darkest of Places" by Kosmit
Yay! I actually won something! :awesome:
Wish I could see the audience reaction though...

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:13 am

Kosmit wrote: Yay! I actually won something! :awesome:
"Darkest" deserved it.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

NightMistress85
Org Profile

Post by NightMistress85 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:42 pm

Congrats to the winners! Pretty cool to have kicked off the contest. Sorry I missed meeting up with some of you at the con.

Return to “AMV Contests”