Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby CodeZTM » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:08 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:Major updates to my mock-up here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15771457/ReDesi ... nPage.html


I absolutely love this mockup!

My only real "bug" about it is the screenshot screen on the left side. I think it'd be better to have a larger video screen/rleatedvideos area and have screen shots moved to a text link instead with a pop up message box to scroll through at our leisure.

Also maybe [for non-donators] a big red/orange/whatever donate button somewhere to more actively show that we need/love donations. Something that nobody can miss and link it to a page listing all donator benefits.
User avatar
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Status: Flapping Lips

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby mirkosp » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:25 pm

The real bug that I found is that the dropdown menus on the top are hidden behind the flash video preview... :uhoh:
Image
User avatar
mirkosp
MODkip
 
Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Location: Gallarate (VA), Italy
Status: (」・ワ・)」(⊃・ワ・)⊃

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:30 pm

CodeZTM wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:Major updates to my mock-up here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15771457/ReDesi ... nPage.html

I absolutely love this mockup!
Thanks :)

My only real "bug" about it is the screenshot screen on the left side. I think it'd be better to have a larger video screen/rleatedvideos area and have screen shots moved to a text link instead with a pop up message box to scroll through at our leisure.
I know what you mean, yet I think screenshots should be on the page because "a picture says a thousand words etc..." type thing. Ideally, if an image could show in the preview window, I would move the screenshots to text links like you suggest. Although a larger preview window may lead to quality issues in high-motion AMVs.

Also maybe [for non-donators] a big red/orange/whatever donate button somewhere to more actively show that we need/love donations. Something that nobody can miss and link it to a page listing all donator benefits.
IMO, a donate link next to the logout button is good enough, without being too intrusive.


mirkosp wrote:The real bug that I found is that the dropdown menus on the top are hidden behind the flash video preview... :uhoh:
If the real coders decide to use a dropdown menu, I'm sure they'll find a way around that :sweat: . What browser?
Image
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
User avatar
Phantasmagoriat
 
Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Status: ☁SteamPunked≈☂

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby mirkosp » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:31 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:
mirkosp wrote:The real bug that I found is that the dropdown menus on the top are hidden behind the flash video preview... :uhoh:
If the real coders decide to use a dropdown menu, I'm sure they'll find a way around that :sweat: . What browser?

Chrome. But I'm one of the people that doesn't like dropdown menus (I keep slipping the mouse pointer out of it, it gets annoying! >_<), so another menu design choice would be more fitting for my taste to be honest. :uhoh:
Image
User avatar
mirkosp
MODkip
 
Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Location: Gallarate (VA), Italy
Status: (」・ワ・)」(⊃・ワ・)⊃

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:35 pm

mirkosp wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:
mirkosp wrote:The real bug that I found is that the dropdown menus on the top are hidden behind the flash video preview... :uhoh:
If the real coders decide to use a dropdown menu, I'm sure they'll find a way around that :sweat: . What browser?

Chrome. But I'm one of the people that doesn't like dropdown menus (I keep slipping the mouse pointer out of it, it gets annoying! >_<), so another menu design choice would be more fitting for my taste to be honest. :uhoh:
like what?
Image
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
User avatar
Phantasmagoriat
 
Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Status: ☁SteamPunked≈☂

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby dokidoki » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:42 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:If the real coders decide to use a dropdown menu, I'm sure they'll find a way around that :sweat: . What browser?

Related... (though it should be simpler since we're dealing with our own flash content)
http://coding.scribd.com/2010/11/13/fla ... m-for-ads/
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki
Free games! (some left) // "Anybody want a pizza roll?"
User avatar
dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
 
Joined: 19 Dec 2000
Location: doki doki space
Status: BLEEP BLOOP!

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby CodeZTM » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:
Also maybe [for non-donators] a big red/orange/whatever donate button somewhere to more actively show that we need/love donations. Something that nobody can miss and link it to a page listing all donator benefits.
IMO, a donate link next to the logout button is good enough, without being too intrusive.


Wouldn't the button being intrusive be the point? WE need donations to be functional and pay the server bills. It doesn't have to be in the method that I described, but a donation button [maybe an ad similar to youtube's ads] might be functional, and then being capable of ridding it by donating. Annoying, yes. Profitable, VERY YES.
User avatar
CodeZTM
Spin Me Round
 
Joined: 03 Mar 2006
Location: Arkansas
Status: Flapping Lips

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby mirkosp » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:49 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:
mirkosp wrote:another menu design choice would be more fitting for my taste to be honest. :uhoh:
like what?

I like side menus more than dropdowns, but if having them on the top is necessary, then perhaps one of those hide/show all dropdowns is better. I'm not sure it's clear... I pretty much mean that instead of having a single dropdown for every voice, we could have a single big one that shows up when you hover the mouse on any of the voices of the menu.
Image
User avatar
mirkosp
MODkip
 
Joined: 24 Apr 2006
Location: Gallarate (VA), Italy
Status: (」・ワ・)」(⊃・ワ・)⊃

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:06 pm

dokidoki wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:If the real coders decide to use a dropdown menu, I'm sure they'll find a way around that :sweat: . What browser?

Related... (though it should be simpler since we're dealing with our own flash content)
http://coding.scribd.com/2010/11/13/fla ... m-for-ads/
I knew it was possible |:> Thanks doki


CodeZTM wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:
Also maybe [for non-donators] a big red/orange/whatever donate button somewhere to more actively show that we need/love donations. Something that nobody can miss and link it to a page listing all donator benefits.
IMO, a donate link next to the logout button is good enough, without being too intrusive.
Wouldn't the button being intrusive be the point? WE need donations to be functional and pay the server bills. It doesn't have to be in the method that I described, but a donation button [maybe an ad similar to youtube's ads] might be functional, and then being capable of ridding it by donating. Annoying, yes. Profitable, VERY YES.
Well, okay I agree we need to improve the org's visibility somehow, particularly the site store which I think people are more inclined to contribute to since they are getting something in return. I just don't want it to seem forced. It's quite the pickle, so they say.


mirkosp wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:
mirkosp wrote:another menu design choice would be more fitting for my taste to be honest. :uhoh:
like what?

I like side menus more than dropdowns, but if having them on the top is necessary, then perhaps one of those hide/show all dropdowns is better. I'm not sure it's clear... I pretty much mean that instead of having a single dropdown for every voice, we could have a single big one that shows up when you hover the mouse on any of the voices of the menu.
Okay, that makes sense because then you get a big overview of the entire site. I might look into that.
Image
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
User avatar
Phantasmagoriat
 
Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Status: ☁SteamPunked≈☂

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby 8bit_samurai » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:20 pm

Liking the banner section and the search function below it, but the preview panel seems too much for the eyes and takes too much width space. At first I was going to ask what a preview panel would be needed for, but having one for a preview playlist would be neat on the members main page. That said, I would doubt we would need all that info considering it would be redudant, presuming we would have to go to the video information page to add the video to the playlist. If anything, the preview panel should be like the AMV spotlight on the front page, with a list of the queued videos on the right. I am also liking Zarx's version of the video info page too, but having a preview playlist would be neat, kinda like the download queue.
Under Construction
User avatar
8bit_samurai
Hmm...
 
Joined: 17 May 2006
Location: Alaska

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:33 pm

8bit_samurai wrote:Liking the banner section and the search function below it, but the preview panel seems too much for the eyes and takes too much width space. At first I was going to ask what a preview panel would be needed for, but having one for a preview playlist would be neat on the members main page. That said, I would doubt we would need all that info considering it would be redudant, presuming we would have to go to the video information page to add the video to the playlist. If anything, the preview panel should be like the AMV spotlight on the front page, with a list of the queued videos on the right. I am also liking Zarx's version of the video info page too, but having a preview playlist would be neat, kinda like the download queue.
Yeah, I was thinking I went a little overboard on the preview panel, and people might not even go to the actual Video Profile if all the info is there.

If the org did have a preview panel, what's information should be in it?
Image
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
User avatar
Phantasmagoriat
 
Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Status: ☁SteamPunked≈☂

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby Nya-chan Production » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:34 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:
8bit_samurai wrote:Liking the banner section and the search function below it, but the preview panel seems too much for the eyes and takes too much width space. At first I was going to ask what a preview panel would be needed for, but having one for a preview playlist would be neat on the members main page. That said, I would doubt we would need all that info considering it would be redudant, presuming we would have to go to the video information page to add the video to the playlist. If anything, the preview panel should be like the AMV spotlight on the front page, with a list of the queued videos on the right. I am also liking Zarx's version of the video info page too, but having a preview playlist would be neat, kinda like the download queue.
Yeah, I was thinking I went a little overboard on the preview panel, and people might not even go to the actual Video Profile if all the info is there.

If the org did have a preview panel, what's information should be in it?

Would probably differ over time - on VCAs there could be semifinalists and finalists, etc.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Location: Ward 7F
Status: White bracelet

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:44 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:If the org did have a preview panel, what's information should be in it?
Would probably differ over time - on VCAs there could be semifinalists and finalists, etc.
Ooh, a seasonal thing would be great :up:
It would make the org seem like more than just a generic video site, and give people a reason to want to qualify for the VCAs.

But my question was more about what minimum profile information should be in the preview panel. We don't want to show all information, otherwise people won't go to the Video Profile page. Or maybe the entire video profile can be integrated into the preview panel and simply do away with Video Profiles. IDK what people would want.
Last edited by Phantasmagoriat on Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
User avatar
Phantasmagoriat
 
Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Status: ☁SteamPunked≈☂

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby Nya-chan Production » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:45 pm

Phantasmagoriat wrote:
Nya-chan Production wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:If the org did have a preview panel, what's information should be in it?
Would probably differ over time - on VCAs there could be semifinalists and finalists, etc.
Ooh, a seasonal thing would be great :up:
It would make the org seem like more than just a generic video site, and give people a reason to want to qualify for the VCAs.

But my question was more about what minimum profile information should be in the preview panel. We don't want to show all information, otherwise people won't go to the Video Profile page. Or maybe the entire video profile can be integrated into the preview panel. IDK what people would want.

I will reply with a question - what do you "need" there? :+)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Location: Ward 7F
Status: White bracelet

Re: Design and Layout Mock-ups...

Postby Phantasmagoriat » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:50 pm

Nya-chan Production wrote:
Phantasmagoriat wrote:But my question was more about what minimum profile information should be in the preview panel. We don't want to show all information, otherwise people won't go to the Video Profile page. Or maybe the entire video profile can be integrated into the preview panel. IDK what people would want.

I will reply with a question - what do you "need" there? :+)
personally, I like having all information at my disposal, but I know other people won't like the appearance of that :/
Image
Org Profile | AMVGuide | Phan Picks! | THE424SHOW | YouTube | "Galactic Escape"

"Effort to Understand; Effort to be Understood; to See through Different Eyes."
User avatar
Phantasmagoriat
 
Joined: 06 Feb 2006
Status: ☁SteamPunked≈☂

PreviousNext

Return to Org Redesign

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron