Best Computer for Editing

MegZeedooDle
Org Profile

Best Computer for Editing

Post by MegZeedooDle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:08 pm

Okey, i'm wondering what type of computer is best for editers.

MOD16: This question belongs more in Video Hardware Help. Moved to the right section.

Kariudo
Twilight prince
Org Profile

Re: Best Computer for Editing

Post by Kariudo » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:54 pm

That's kinda vague there...

If you're asking mac vs pc, it depends on what you're comfortable with. If you have a pc, don't switch to mac (and vice versa). The one exception here is if you're planning to go into professional editing, in which case a mac is pretty much mandatory. Most of the support you'll get here is from people using windows based systems, but we also have some people over in mac land that can help out too.

As far as specs go, it depends on your budget. The best of the best also cost the most, and your system can get really pricey really fast. For most people, I usually recommend something in the middle.

-Dual core cpu
-2 to 4 GB ram for a 32-bit OS, 4 to 6 GB ram for a 64-bit OS
-As much hard drive space as you can find. Go with a traditional hard drive as opposed to a solid state hard drive. Aim for a 7200rpm drive, still consider a 5400rpm drive, avoid 4200rpm drives. SATA > IDE (aka PATA or E-IDE). If you get additional drives, you have to make sure your motherboard supports the drive type (SATA or IDE)

A good video card isn't a requirement (unless you're into pc gaming).
Larger monitors are nice, but a 19" should be more than fine for most.
A good set of comfy headphones help in editing. You don't need 5.1

That should cover the important stuff. I'll need a more specific question to go much further.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:41 pm

Mac vs PC: well you have a number of things to think about. Sure it's said that Macs are just better at this stuff... but are they REALLY? I've never seen any actual numbers saying they are MUCH better at all. IMO, in this aspect, PC wins, because it's CHEAPER (this is most likely the most important thing... cuz how many of us edit profesionally? If you do edit profesionally- and that says NOTHING of you skill ^_^- or you need the best for school than by all means! Ignore this... but I already have a job, and just do this for fun) and INFINITELY more costumizable. There are few things hardware wise you can customize on a Mac. So PC gets 1 point imo!

Secondly I use the more REALISTIC viewpoint. Do you really want a Mac? And be stuck playing Quake 2 all day? If your like me your looking at editing as your hobby, and (if you like video games as well :P) Macs don't really specialize in that area. Only the really BIG games (Starcraft) get ported over. It gets better, there is now (just recently) a mac version of the Source engine, so maccers get to FINALLY play Half-Life, Team Fortress and Portal (be it at slow frame rates with the occasional clipping :)). But most of the games you hear about (EA games, Console ports and so on and so on) ar not on Mac. Mass Effect? Command and Conquer? Never heard of it. I don't think they have COD either :(.
So THAT is both a BAD thing... and a good one! If you need games to clear your mind and perhaps even get some inspiration! You need a PC! If you are better off without the distractions (say you have a gaming PC, or you just don't PC game) than you can do with a Mac. If you are a professional/ or VERY dedicated student you OBVIOUSLY need a Mac.

If your name is Mac you need a Mac. No argument.
If you do not think so... you will DIE

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:13 pm

I don't know much about Mac H/W (you don't have much of a choice anyway... mostly just depends on how much you have to spend. I suggest at least 2 grand and don't upgrade. Mac upgrades are terribly pricey, your better off saving up for your next mac... or buy a pc on the side :|) BUT I will assume you want the best specs for a PC :)

Ignoring what Kariudo said (DUAL CORE??? I stopped reading right there...) cuz I'm a VERY zealous fanboy :). Please note, PC specs change QUICKLY and within a YEAR all of this information will likely become defunct. But at least I'm not suggesting a DUAL CORE :/ honestly though, I'd think of a dual core as the sweet spot in mobile computing though! But if your not looking at a laptop... and you see 'dual core' your in some kind of time warp from 4 years ago :/

You want a SEXTUPLET (6x) CORE!! for this there is one and one road only, get an intel if you want the BEST!! that's close to 1000 bucks for the proc ALONE plus a premium of 200 or so for the mobo over something only slightly slower

If your looking at you purse strings than you go AMD. Consider their 6 core, the proc is like 300 bucks and mobo is much less too! It's slower than Intel's bad boys, but not by much (especially when using it for video editing... though with hyper threading intel gets a huge boost there too... and mem management is a bit of a plus as well), one thing stuck with me though! It was pointed out, AMDs chip is faster than ALL of Intel's quad cores and costs less than many of them as well!!

The only other area you really need to worry about is your hard drive speed. It's simple, you'll need 2 hard drive, a mechanical HD for storage, and a Solid State HD for your OS/ Programs. Don't stray from that formula and you can't go wrong. don't be afraid to spend 300+ on your Solid State Drive, the cheaper ones are terrible. Your mechanical drive will be 10x bigger but will cost less than 100 bucks!! Go figure.

If you like you can skip the solid state HD. using just a mechanical HD won't get you teased... too much :) most ppl only use mechanical HDs even now -_- In the near future there should be affordable hybrids saving you all of the hullabaloo :| but unfortunately I can't point you to any atm.

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:16 pm

oh yeah, and there is NO AMVapp for the Mac! You'll get help, but you gotta ask for it :P if your a kid with a hankerin for editin, get a PC!

Knowname
Org Profile

Post by Knowname » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:44 pm

I made two PCs for you, one that should suite any editor's needs just fine, and one that is frankly overkill but... you wanted the best :) than I went to the apple store and looked for approximate h/w. Don't feint when I tell you the total :|

PC1: this is the typical editing PC config
AMD Phenom II x6 (save 100 bucks and get the x2 if you like... the x2 is all you really need but at this price you can't pass up) 1055t 2.8ghz
Corsair 8gb DDR3-1600
Gigabyte GAMA770t-UD3 mobo
XFX R6850
OCZ Agility 60GB SSD
WD Caviar Black 1TB (1000GB) HD
Samsung Bluray drive
Coolermaster HAF-912 Midtower case
OCZ Mod Xtreme Pro 600w PSU
Win7 Home Premium x64
PLANTRONICS GameCom 777 Surround Sound Gaming Headset
Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse
(save another 100 bucks if you have NO interests in gaming by getting a plain mouse/ KB)
ASUS VH236H 23" 1080P LCD Monitor
total is 1500 plus about 100 dollars in rebates. obviously your desired components will change when you find this, BUT as you can see, 1500 will ALWAYS be about the 'sweet spot', don't sanely expect to spend any more.

NOW just for fun I used http://www.newegg.com and store.apple.com to put together these two insane builds :)
PC2:
Intel Core i7-970 3.2GHz Six-Core Processor
Patriot Viper Xtreme 12GB DDR3-2000
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R Motherboard
XFX R6850
Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe 120GB SSD
WD Caviar Black 1TB (1000GB) HD
LITE-ON Black 12X Blu-ray Burner
Coolermaster HAF-912 Midtower case
OCZ Mod Xtreme Pro 600w PSU
Win7 Home Premium x64
PLANTRONICS GameCom 777 Surround Sound Gaming Headset
Logitech Z506 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers
Logitech G110 Gaming Keyboard
Logitech G500 Gaming Mouse
(save another 100 bucks if you have NO interests in gaming by getting a plain mouse/ KB)
LG W2363D Black 23" Full HD 120Hz 3D WideScreen LCD Monitor
2930 US Buckaroos! for that you'd get probably 50% better performance (but believe me, that is WELL worth it if you absolutely NEED it) for 100% MORE price!

I than went to the Mac store and put this doozy together
Dual Intel Xeon x6 (they didn't sell just one, take off 1200 bucks imagine :))
12GB Ram (I'm guessing DDR3 just like the former PC)
512GB SSD (where MOST of the pricing goes too... if I could choose less it would be up to 700 bucks less!)
1TB HD
Radeon 5770
18x 'Superdrive' (I think it's just DVD, not even Bluray :( I think you can buy a Bluray burner from newegg though)
Apple 27" LED Cinema Display (this is also WAY overpriced, you'll need a 30 dollar adapter, but buy a 23"er at newegg for 500 bucks less :))
Wired mouse/ Keyboard (don't get wireless)
now I didn't see anything about speakers and I ASSUME you get the latest OSx with it... 7850 as is, could be 5500 bucks IF you can get 1 proc and a smaller HD PLUS get a monitor (don't forget the adapter :), Mini DisplayPort to DVI Adapter) and bluray drive at newegg. You might have to buy speakers too... I can't believe they wouldn't give you some though... they don't list any :/

Return to “Hardware Discussion”