Can You Import .wmv files into Sony Vegas Pro 9 and...

For help and discussion concerning the Sony Vegas software.

Can You Import .wmv files into Sony Vegas Pro 9 and...

Postby kiyablossom » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:17 pm

I really want to switch to Sony Vegas, to make better amvs with less hassle and less time without compromising quality, as it takes way too long to make one in Windows Movie Maker. It's the reason I keep procrastinating on starting my next amv (LOL)...but I have 2 questions.

1. Can you import windows movie video (.wmv) files into Sony Vegas Pro 8 or 9 ?
and...

2. A friend wants to know if Sony Vegas Movie Studio (it's less expensive) is just as good for making amvs ? He basically wants, like me, a better video editing software that will allow for better/precise timing, the ability to "lock" clips to a specific point on the audio timeline for perfect timing, which is literally impossible in WMM, as well as higher quality amvs. I told him no way since it is not nearly as powerful, doesn't have the same great features (from what I've seen and heard online) as Sony Vegas Pro 9 or earlier versions, and if he's considering using Movie Studio, he should just stick to using WMM. But he wants a second opinion. Hopefully you guys can better answer his question.
User avatar
kiyablossom
 
Joined: 14 Dec 2008
Location: USA

Re: Can You Import .wmv files into Sony Vegas Pro 9 and...

Postby GH » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:39 am

it's probably going to take more time to finish an amv in sony vegas rather than windows movie maker. but that's only because there's more options (such as different effects, etc.); and it's definitely more capable of editing than wmm.

yes, you can import .wmv files into i'm pretty sure almost every version of sony vegas.

i can't answer the second question, i'm not sure of the differences as i have never used movie studio. but here's a list of a few differences, you could also google for more. but sony vegas movie studio is still much better than wmm, but if your friend has the option of getting sony vegas movie studio; i would recommend buying it.
User avatar
GH
 
Joined: 03 Jul 2007

Re: Can You Import .wmv files into Sony Vegas Pro 9 and...

Postby Mastamind » Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:21 pm

Actually it should take a lot less time to make a video in Vegas, unless you're just starting to learn how to use it. The hassle and crashes you'll have to put up with in WMM aren't nearly as present in Vegas.
Image
User avatar
Mastamind
 
Joined: 09 Sep 2009

Re: Can You Import .wmv files into Sony Vegas Pro 9 and...

Postby Nya-chan Production » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:16 am

You can import .wmv, but I'd suggest encoding them to lossless avis first - that way you lose no quality from the original file ;x
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Location: Ward 7F
Status: White bracelet

Re: Can You Import .wmv files into Sony Vegas Pro 9 and...

Postby Kosmit » Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:26 am

Regarding Vegas Movie Studio vs. Vegas Pro - I've edited my first AMV in the former, my second in the latter and I cen tell you this: if you're only planning to create simple AMVs without many complicated effects or masking (Movie Studio does not have masking, I had to go around it using png files, which was a bit tedious), you can try VMS, but you'll still find some annoying cuts in functionality from time to time (like the lack of velocity envelopes or only 4 tracks available for editing), but it's still a HUGE improvement over WMM. Otherwise go for Pro simply because it gives much more freedom.
User avatar
Kosmit
Slippery Pole
 
Joined: 10 Jun 2008
Location: Pole land
Status: Punching your salad

Re: Can You Import .wmv files into Sony Vegas Pro 9 and...

Postby xPiikanyaa » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:56 am

Yes, you can import wmv files into Vegas, but the quality probably won't look all that nice.
Whether you get Vegas Movie Studio or Vegas Pro basically depends on how many special effects you want to use. Movie Studio is missing some features that Pro has, like masking and 3D compositing. (I use Movie Studio, and doing these things in Wax 2.0 is not fun xD)
User avatar
xPiikanyaa
Phail Whale
 
Joined: 27 Jul 2009
Location: England
Status: :<

Re: Can You Import .wmv files into Sony Vegas Pro 9 and...

Postby kiyablossom » Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:42 pm

Thanks for the help guys. I've decided to buy movie studio as I'm not interested in masking at the moment, but I'll buy sony vegas pro at a later date. My friend also decided to buy movie studio too.
User avatar
kiyablossom
 
Joined: 14 Dec 2008
Location: USA

Re: Can You Import .wmv files into Sony Vegas Pro 9 and...

Postby kiyablossom » Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:01 pm

kiyablossom wrote:I really want to switch to Sony Vegas, to make better amvs with less hassle and less time without compromising quality, as it takes way too long to make one in Windows Movie Maker. It's the reason I keep procrastinating on starting my next amv (LOL)...but I have 2 questions.

1. Can you import windows movie video (.wmv) files into Sony Vegas Pro 8 or 9 ?
and...

2. A friend wants to know if Sony Vegas Movie Studio (it's less expensive) is just as good for making amvs ? He basically wants, like me, a better video editing software that will allow for better/precise timing, the ability to "lock" clips to a specific point on the audio timeline for perfect timing, which is literally impossible in WMM, as well as higher quality amvs. I told him no way since it is not nearly as powerful, doesn't have the same great features (from what I've seen and heard online) as Sony Vegas Pro 9 or earlier versions, and if he's considering using Movie Studio, he should just stick to using WMM. But he wants a second opinion. Hopefully you guys can better answer his question.


Thanks guys for the responses. I just have one more question. Can you do what this guy is doing in his Sony Vegas Syncing tutorial video, in Sony Vegas Movie Studio too. Here is the link to the tutorial below. Particuarly part 2:00 to 4:00.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01oG75jK ... re=related
User avatar
kiyablossom
 
Joined: 14 Dec 2008
Location: USA

Re: Can You Import .wmv files into Sony Vegas Pro 9 and...

Postby Nya-chan Production » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:03 am

kiyablossom wrote:
kiyablossom wrote:I really want to switch to Sony Vegas, to make better amvs with less hassle and less time without compromising quality, as it takes way too long to make one in Windows Movie Maker. It's the reason I keep procrastinating on starting my next amv (LOL)...but I have 2 questions.

1. Can you import windows movie video (.wmv) files into Sony Vegas Pro 8 or 9 ?
and...

2. A friend wants to know if Sony Vegas Movie Studio (it's less expensive) is just as good for making amvs ? He basically wants, like me, a better video editing software that will allow for better/precise timing, the ability to "lock" clips to a specific point on the audio timeline for perfect timing, which is literally impossible in WMM, as well as higher quality amvs. I told him no way since it is not nearly as powerful, doesn't have the same great features (from what I've seen and heard online) as Sony Vegas Pro 9 or earlier versions, and if he's considering using Movie Studio, he should just stick to using WMM. But he wants a second opinion. Hopefully you guys can better answer his question.


Thanks guys for the responses. I just have one more question. Can you do what this guy is doing in his Sony Vegas Syncing tutorial video, in Sony Vegas Movie Studio too. Here is the link to the tutorial below. Particuarly part 2:00 to 4:00.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01oG75jK ... re=related

Yep, you can ;x
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
User avatar
Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
 
Joined: 15 Nov 2006
Location: Ward 7F
Status: White bracelet

Re: Can You Import .wmv files into Sony Vegas Pro 9 and...

Postby kiyablossom » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:54 am

Nya-chan Production wrote:
kiyablossom wrote:
kiyablossom wrote:I really want to switch to Sony Vegas, to make better amvs with less hassle and less time without compromising quality, as it takes way too long to make one in Windows Movie Maker. It's the reason I keep procrastinating on starting my next amv (LOL)...but I have 2 questions.

1. Can you import windows movie video (.wmv) files into Sony Vegas Pro 8 or 9 ?
and...

2. A friend wants to know if Sony Vegas Movie Studio (it's less expensive) is just as good for making amvs ? He basically wants, like me, a better video editing software that will allow for better/precise timing, the ability to "lock" clips to a specific point on the audio timeline for perfect timing, which is literally impossible in WMM, as well as higher quality amvs. I told him no way since it is not nearly as powerful, doesn't have the same great features (from what I've seen and heard online) as Sony Vegas Pro 9 or earlier versions, and if he's considering using Movie Studio, he should just stick to using WMM. But he wants a second opinion. Hopefully you guys can better answer his question.


Thanks guys for the responses. I just have one more question. Can you do what this guy is doing in his Sony Vegas Syncing tutorial video, in Sony Vegas Movie Studio too. Here is the link to the tutorial below. Particuarly part 2:00 to 4:00.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01oG75jK ... re=related

Yep, you can ;x


Thanks :D
User avatar
kiyablossom
 
Joined: 14 Dec 2008
Location: USA


Return to Sony Vegas

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron