Avisynth Use on Intel Macs

For discussion on Mac software and video editing on Mac computers.

Avisynth Use on Intel Macs

Postby Athena » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:41 pm

i. This assumes you already know the basics of editing and the concepts behind preparing footage. If you do not, please read the entire sticky in General AMV.

A. Getting Ready

Download and install Crossover Mac Pro or a WINE binary for Macintosh.

Download and install AMVapp inside of Crossover or WINE. The tests won't work, but AMVapp will.

Download and install SimpleMovieX or MPEGStreamClip. The choice is yours.

Download and install MacTheRipper (Mirror).

Download and install Perian.

B. Ripping

Go to MacTheRipper.

The disc should be automatically detected. Go to File > Save To.. and select the destination folder. Choose mode. Choose to De-Macrovision. Choose change region to all. Press Go.

C. Indexing

Go to Crossover > Programs > AMVapp > DGMPEGDEC and open DGIndex

Select File > Open > VOB DESTINATION FOLDER and select all VOB files you want included. Confirm that all the VOB files you want are included. Choose OK. Select File > Save Project to index your VOB files. When you are finished, you will have produced three files: a d2v file, an avs file, and an audio file of some sort.

D. Cleaning via Avisynth

Take the AVS file and open it with textedit(or whatever basic text editor you want). In order to clean footage via Avisynth you need to issue it commands by writing them in the file you just opened. These commands vary according to the specific source you are using and what you specifically want from the source. AVS files are as individual as the editors writing them and debate abounds over which commands to use.

As an example, this is an AVS file for Kujibiki Unbalance:

Code: Select all
mpeg2source("C:\windows\profiles\crossover\Desktop\My Mac Desktop\AMV stuff\kewp\kewp.d2v")
ConvertToYV12()
TComb()
TDecimate()
KernelBob(order=1,sharp=true,threshold=8)
BlendBob(badFrames=0)
SDDeRainbow()
deen("a3d",4)
aWarpSharp()
Crop(32,16,-32,-16)
LanczosResize(640,480)

The above commands remove telecining, interlacing, and crop the edges of the footage, as well as remove noise, sharpen edges, and output to a suitable resolution for the original video's aspect ratio.

E. Clipping

Go to Crossover > Programs > AMVapp > VirtualDubMod and open VirtualDubMod.

Select File > Open Video File and select your AVS file.

You can now “scrub” (that is, move) through all of the video you have indexed with the Avisynth commands applied. The more commands, the slower this “scrubbing” will be, so be prepared. At the bottom of the VirtualDubMod window, you will have a row of buttons. The last two on the far right are Inset and Outset buttons. These allow you to choose what part of the video you want to export out for use in your editor. The chosen segment will be shown with band of color going from the selected Inset to the selected Outset. To export select File > Save As and choose file name and file type. Remember to choose huffyuv ONLY. Lagarith is not supported outside of the Crossover environment.

You may find your editor will not take the huffyuv in AVI. Have SimpleMovieX or MPEGStreamClip save the file as a MOV. This does not reencode. It simply moves the encoded video to a container your editor probably likes better.

You may now begin to edit.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Re: Avisynth Use on Intel Macs

Postby hasteroth » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:54 pm

OR you could be a tool like me and run AMVapp in Parallels.
:awesome:
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.
hasteroth
lost the bet

Postby Enigma » Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:12 pm

Really helpfull,I'm getting a MAC soon so thank you ALOT <3.Sticky this sheet up n0w :awesome:
Enigma
That jolly ol' bastid

Postby Athena » Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:08 am

Soup wrote:Really helpfull,I'm getting a MAC soon so thank you ALOT <3.Sticky this sheet up n0w :awesome:

It is stickied.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby Bauzi » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:00 pm

Great. I'll get a Mac soon and I'm happy that I can still use Avisynth for processing my DVDs :up:
Bauzi

Location: Austria (uhm the other country without kangaroos^^)

Postby Scintilla » Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:04 pm

Wait. AVISynth works under WINE now?

If Premiere Pro, FL Studio, and my many many games (like Melty Blood) can work that way as well, I may no longer have a reason to stick with Windows...
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Qyot27 » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:56 pm

Scintilla wrote:Wait. AVISynth works under WINE now?

If Premiere Pro, FL Studio, and my many many games (like Melty Blood) can work that way as well, I may no longer have a reason to stick with Windows...

It really depends. I've not done extensive testing, but I don't believe AVISource nor DirectShowSource work, due to the lack of those parts being well-ported yet* (although it probably will eventually get there as the feature completeness of Wine and ReactOS fill what 2000 and XP can accomplish). FFmpegSource and DGDecode/MPEG2Source should work fine, though. Heck, FFmpegSource2 can be natively compiled as a Linux binary for use with Aegisub, and I figure that probably also applies to OS X.

*Maybe there's a solution via WineTricks, though. Most DirectShow-based stuff fails miserably for me for whatever reason, but that may be due to my not using those things to install extra components. If only there was an easier way to copy the relevant DLLs from an authorized Windows disc.

Granted, I'm speaking from how it works on Ubuntu with the official Wine repos; I could never get Tiger to work well with Wine, which is the only OS X setup I've got access to. Obviously I'd be easier for those without that version restriction.

It does help to check the Wine AppDB, although there's a lot of stuff on there that doesn't get updated for X or Y distribution or Wine version.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog
Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny

Postby Athena » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:28 am

I haven't actually tried WINE recently. Crossover is good enough for me, as I pretty much only use MPEG2Source when working off DVDs. No need for anything else. I don't think DirectShowSource would work, but it hasn't been necessary to try.

Premiere Pro runs natively on Mac now as of CS3. That's what I edit with. I am unfamiliar with FL Studio, and I do not play video games of any sort period.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby Scintilla » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:59 am

Kionon wrote:Premiere Pro runs natively on Mac now as of CS3. That's what I edit with.

I meant the original Premiere Pro -- I don't want to have to buy a whole new version if I can avoid it. :P
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:
Scintilla
(for EXTREME)

Postby Athena » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:30 pm

Premiere 6.5 sorta runs, but I haven't really messed with it recently. Maybe Premiere Pro 1 will run. You'd just have to try it.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby nevrozel » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:03 am

Hello,

Looks like your guide is exactly what I have been looking for. This is my situation: I have some old tape based movies that have been converted into digital format (QuickTime format). They are pretty old (1995) and the image is low quality. I am interested in restoring the image as much as I can using Avisynth.

I'm running OS X 10.6.1 on a MacBook Pro so Windows is not an option. I am editing all my movies in Final Cut Express 4.0.1. My question is if the Avysinth script that you described above will help improve the quality of the video.

As I have never used Avisynth, I kindly ask you to tell me how can I run it on my movies? So I just take one movie (which is .m4v) and then what exactly? :) Sorry if it sound a bit stupid but as far as I can see Avisynth is a script based tool with no GUI; that's why I am a bit confused.

Thanks a lot for your help.
nevrozel

Postby nevrozel » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:50 am

I installed Crossover 8 and AMVapp. I open DGIndex but it will only let me select .vob files which I don't have. All my clips are in QuickTime format. I don't understand the step with MacTheRipper and the .vob files. If I already have the mpeg files on my Mac, can I use them?

Thanks.
nevrozel

Postby Athena » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:06 am

nevrozel wrote:Hello,

Looks like your guide is exactly what I have been looking for. This is my situation: I have some old tape based movies that have been converted into digital format (QuickTime format). They are pretty old (1995) and the image is low quality. I am interested in restoring the image as much as I can using Avisynth.

I'm running OS X 10.6.1 on a MacBook Pro so Windows is not an option. I am editing all my movies in Final Cut Express 4.0.1. My question is if the Avysinth script that you described above will help improve the quality of the video.

As I have never used Avisynth, I kindly ask you to tell me how can I run it on my movies? So I just take one movie (which is .m4v) and then what exactly? :) Sorry if it sound a bit stupid but as far as I can see Avisynth is a script based tool with no GUI; that's why I am a bit confused.

Thanks a lot for your help.

I installed Crossover 8 and AMVapp. I open DGIndex but it will only let me select .vob files which I don't have. All my clips are in QuickTime format. I don't understand the step with MacTheRipper and the .vob files. If I already have the mpeg files on my Mac, can I use them?

Okay first and foremost it is important to note here that you are definitely not the target audience of this guide. The target audience, of course, is made up of mac-based anime music video editors who start with DVDs. You're not starting with DVDs, so the process will be a bit different.

Taking your questions in a slightly different order than you have put them as above:

1) Can I use Avisynth to clean up my own live action footage?

Certainly. Avisynth works on any type of footage, and indeed, is used by a large number of people who do all sorts of video editing work. Avisynth is a very versatile application.

2) If I already have MPEG files on my Mac, can I use them?

Yes. However, be careful with what you mean when you say MPEG. Typically when working with DGIndex we are talking about MPEG-2 files, which are on DVDs as .VOB but may well be MPG or MPEG elsewhere, depending on the encoding software. You mention M4V above, which is MP4. That's an extension, a container, but what is important to us is to know the codec you are working with. Is it Apple h.264? If so, this is something I need to know.Once we establish just what you're starting off with, I can find a way for you to move your footage to lossless (honestly, you should have done this while you were ripping it from tape, and if you still have the tape, I would suggest we begin again), and then use avisynth to filter it.

3) How do I use avisynth?

It's a lot simpler than it first appears. It is command line, but let's put that whole concept aside. Thinking of it terms of terminal or what have you makes it seem more complicated than it is. What you do is simply create a text file where you input a series of commands that call filters. You save that file as a .AVS file instead of a .TXT file and open it up in VirtualDubMod which is included in AMVapp. You can then preview how your filters work on the original footage. If you like it, you will want to go out via HUFFYUV into an .AVI file. You can then use other programs to encode into your final distributable copy. DO NOT USE LAGARITH, ONLY USE HUFFYUV. The former does not work with Mac, and so your Mac programs outside of the Crossover environment will not be able to read a lagarith file. Do not even consider the other options, and there should be a few. Only those two are lossless, and only HUFFYUV is what you need.

Once I know what you're starting off with, codec and container both (example, h264 is a codec, .M4V is a container) and what your goals are for the footage, we can get more detailed.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Postby nevrozel » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:19 am

First of all, that was a huge and very detailed response. Greatly appreciated!

Secondly, my movies have the following characteristics:
- encoded in H.264
- 720*540
- extension is .m4v

My final goal is to clean up the image and have them saved in digital format on my HDD (as they are now).

Thank you again for your time.
nevrozel

Postby Athena » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:45 am

nevrozel wrote:First of all, that was a huge and very detailed response. Greatly appreciated!

Not a problem. We only get pissy when someone completely ignores the stickies and guides (or general common sense). I would also have cut you additional slack because you're not an AMV editor, and so I wouldn't presume you start with the same body of knowledge. However, no slack needed to be cut since you posted your questions in the appropriate thread after having thoroughly studied it.

Now if only newbie amv editors followed your example...

Secondly, my movies have the following characteristics:
- encoded in H.264
- 720*540
- extension is .m4v

Well, resolution is a minor concern at this point. Does it look right at 720x540? As long as it does, we can keep that.

DirectShowSource does not work via Crossover, as discussed earlier, so merely pulling from your .M4Vs directly isn't an option. However, converting to a lossless HUFFYUV .AVI and using VirtualDubMod to Open File Via Avisynth and then editing the .AVS file vdubmod makes will work because I just tested AVISource and it works just fine. For the initial conversion to lossless HUFFYUV .AVI you need another program, avidemux. Link for it can be found in the Pre-processing on PPC Macs sticky. This is a useful program regardless, one I use regularly, even on my intel macs. Aforementioned sticky will walk you through its use. In fact, it has several Avisynth filters ported already, and just playing around with it might solve your issues, but of course, it does not begin to have to versatility of Avisynth which you can add more filters to as you find them. You can't add more filters to avidemux, nor are there as many options even to begin with. You may need to change the extension from .M4V to .MP4 in order for avidemux to read it.

My final goal is to clean up the image and have them saved in digital format on my HDD (as they are now).

I was looking for specifics. You say you need to clean up the footage, I want to know how. Before I can suggest filters, I need to know what you need to do with the filters. Deinterlacing? Noise-reduction? Sharpening? Temporal smoothing? This is what I mean when I say goals.
Athena
I ♥ the 80's

Next

Return to Mac Software