Finalists for Anime Expo Anime Music Video Contest 2008

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Inaaca
Org Profile

Post by Inaaca » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:55 pm

NightlHlawk wrote:
Inaaca wrote:Brad's Fix You actually didn't make the contest this year, but it was shown during the preshow and also during the AMV 102 panel. An awesome video, regardless. I really liked it. He even told me himself though that he thought mine was way better than his, heh.. :sweat:
Um, I'm pretty sure it was a part of the contest. lol

It's even on the official list posted by Michael.
:shock: Err.. my apologies... I must've gotten confused somewhere... Thanks for correcting me.
ImageImage
ImageImageImage

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:16 pm

Inaaca wrote:Yeah, I discovered that there wasn't a complete box set, nor was there one set for release anytime soon, after inquiring at the Funimation booth. I found out later from Rider that there was the starter box with the first dvd, but even after searching for that all of AX I couldn't find it. I did finally pick it up today by checking a local anime store on the way home from work, though. So now I finally have all of Mushi-Shi and looking forward to watching it. :D
glad you were able to find it. i also recommend collecting the manga. i kinda wished i had read the manga first in a way. because it would have been so amazing watching it come to life in gorgeous animation after the fact.
either way, this year has definitely motivated me to put together fan art (Mushi-Shi in particular) and get a booth in artist alley next year.

dust
Org Profile

Post by dust » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:16 am

Is the list on the first post in the same order which the videos were shown at AX?

I would like to download videos from the contest, I used the order shown as reference for which ones i wanted to see again.

Also, can somebody link me to "Rainbow Revolution", I can't seem to find it.

Thanks.

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Jul 08, 2008 9:56 am

the order they were played is not the order they were announced. someone listed them somewhere... i'll try to find it.

found it on the expo forums. go down to post #1039

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:20 pm

Just a few things...

The Wired Knight:
Any plans on uploading "From the Diary of Alphonse Elric" to the 'org? My wife is dying to see it. And if I had to "runner-up" behind any video in AMA's comedy category, I'm glad it was yours.

NightHawk:
Having said that, I thought "Be a Man" was grossly miscategorized at AMA. Comedy? I mean no offense, but was it your or the judges' decision to place it in that category? I thought action or drama would have given you a better chance. I also have to say the song you used has grown on me to the point I plan on performing it at karaoke when I get the chance. ;)

xstylus:
So...for the benefit of those like me who didn't get out to AX, what was the answer to your "most used anime" question? I'm especially curious about the "unreleased" title you spoke of. Also,...I know you from LJ. ;) Since you judge these things, may I pester you for feedback next time I think I have something to upload or enter into competition?

“Escaping But Not Far” Sharingan Blue
Best Drama - TekkoshoCon VI (April 13, 2008)
Still a brilliantly matched combination for the story. The song is ideal for depicting Light's gradual change from high school-age idealist to calculating, stone-hearted exterminator.

And to anyone who may be reading:
Does ANYONE know where I can find this AMV..?

"Remember"
creator: WolfsVixen
anime: Grave of the Fireflies
audio: Josh Groban - "Remember Me"

SO depressing but such a powerful combination. Anyway, the video info is posted to the 'org but the AMV was never uploaded... :(
Last edited by Squancho on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

DigitalPanther
Org Profile

Post by DigitalPanther » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:16 pm

Hello all,

After getting home last night at 6ish and passing out in bed at 6:30p I finally woke up about 10am. Yeah my sleep schedule is borked. :)

I will be putting together the "official" winners announcement/post this evening when I am at work and will be posting it here as well as the official ax forums and the AMV list.

To all of you thank you for entering as well as your support and input along the way.

Among the preliminary things being discussed by Anneke and myself for next year, PG-13 is very likely goin buh-bye, and this will be the last time I let Encore automatically determine the layer break on the disc. I am pretty sure that is why Dianna's video stuttered like it did. I am deeply sorry Dianna. It didn't do that on the PS2, PS3, Apex AD 1500 or the Pioneer DVL 919 I have here at home. The unit they have at Nokia is a "fresh off the boat from China" Helios upscaling player. ) It also didn't seem to like the High bit rate I encoded the disc at. (the red flash frames in Nils' videos I suspect was from that.)

I anticipate writing a longer post tonight.
OH and the most submitted anime was Full Metal Alchemist with Ouran High School Host Club and pretty close second. there were very very few DBZ at all. I think Rider G's Angels and Demons and one of the two YTMND videos submitted were the only ones submitted.
-DP

NightHawk
Org Profile

Post by NightHawk » Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:49 pm

deuceloosely wrote:Just a few things...

NightHawk:
Having said that, I thought "Be a Man" was grossly miscategorized at AMA. Comedy? I mean no offense, but was it your or the judges' decision to place it in that category? I thought action or drama would have given you a better chance. I also have to say the song you used has grown on me to the point I plan on performing it at karaoke when I get the chance. ;)
It was the judge's choice, heh. I'm pretty sure I submitted Action.

I'm just happy it was shown on screen, to be honest. =]
ImageImage
ImageImage

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:38 pm

DigitalPanther wrote:there were very very few DBZ at all. I think Rider G's Angels and Demons and one of the two YTMND videos submitted were the only ones submitted.
-DP
Demons and Angels :nono: thanks very much for playing it in the preshow :D that was so cool to out of nowhere here that classic organ start to play, i look up and WOW there it was ^_^ very cool

Ryvannis
Org Profile

Post by Ryvannis » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:35 pm

Thanks for playing my Esca AMV during the preshow Michael, I was really surprised when you told me after the panel as you gave my ticket.

But I gave you my best of thanks for all your hard work in creating a awesome show this year. :)

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:46 pm

deuceloosely wrote:xstylus:
So...for the benefit of those like me who didn't get out to AX, what was the answer to your "most used anime" question? I'm especially curious about the "unreleased" title you spoke of. Also,...I know you from LJ. ;)
Most used footage: Fullmetal Alchemist.
Second most used footage: Ouran High School.
Third most used footage: Final Fantasy (insert # here).

Each of those three individually beat out the number of Haruhi, Lucky Star, Eva, Naruto, DBZ, Air, Kanon, Princess Tutu, Kenshin, and Death Note videos COMBINED. And yet, the list of finalists didn't have a disproportionately large number of FMA, Ouran, or FF videos. That says something, but I'm not sure what. :?

However, my eyebrow arched at the fact that one of the top three shows used was based on a show that wasn't even released yet, and I'll wager ya'll didn't exactly import the R2 DVDs for it. :nono:
Since you judge these things, may I pester you for feedback next time I think I have something to upload or enter into competition?
That depends on if you plan on entering it in AX's competition. If so, then I don't want to see it until judging time. I abstain from voting on any videos I may have already seen.

Return to “AMV Contests”