Otakon AMV contest question

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
MousePotato
Boochsack whore
Org Profile

Otakon AMV contest question

Post by MousePotato » Fri Jun 18, 2004 11:57 am

Hey all,

A few weeks ago I was told that if your amv made it into the contest that you would recieve an e-mail about it.

Is there a certain date that we should look forward too?
Or at the very least, If I havn't recieved one yet should I go ahead and start crying :cry: (just kidding)

"Worrying's like a rocking chair: It gives you something to do but it gets you nowhere." - Van Wilder

BogoSort
Org Profile

Post by BogoSort » Fri Jun 18, 2004 1:34 pm

It's definately going to be a couple of weeks, while Otakon runs through the Prescreening process. From what I've heard they have yet to do the first round(and there were 3 last year). Then a fair bit of time to compile all of the results.

iserlohn
Org Profile

Post by iserlohn » Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:54 pm

The final prescreening is on 17 July, so the email will come out sometime between the 18th and the start of the convention.
"I'm recording an album tonight. Funny material and laughter will be dubbed in later."
--Bill Hicks

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Tue Jun 22, 2004 7:57 am

BogoSort wrote:It's definately going to be a couple of weeks, while Otakon runs through the Prescreening process. From what I've heard they have yet to do the first round(and there were 3 last year). Then a fair bit of time to compile all of the results.
So everyone knows we are having 3 locations this year, Baltimore MD(4), King of Prussia PA(1), and New York NY(1), for a total of 6 prescreenings.

But like iserlohn said, the fianl one is on July 17th. Hopefully we should have everything done by the following weekend and be able to put up a list of the finalists. Also I will be personally emailing the finalists to let them know they are in.
John Westbrook
Otakon, Fan Parody Dept. Head

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:29 am

hackerzc wrote: So everyone knows we are having 3 locations this year, Baltimore MD(4), King of Prussia PA(1), and New York NY(1), for a total of 6 prescreenings.

But like iserlohn said, the fianl one is on July 17th. Hopefully we should have everything done by the following weekend and be able to put up a list of the finalists. Also I will be personally emailing the finalists to let them know they are in.
Are you rescheduling the KoP prescreening? Not that I'll likely be able to make it, but then I'll be at the NYC one- I'm just curious.
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

MousePotato
Boochsack whore
Org Profile

I'm a little confused

Post by MousePotato » Tue Jun 22, 2004 12:08 pm

I'm a little confused. Is there not going to be a huge screening thingy at the con this time or is this for the accual contest and the huge screening at the con is for show. I thought that last year people got to vote for the best *whatever*

I'm just all about the confusion right now... :cry:

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Re: I'm a little confused

Post by Ashyukun » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:32 pm

Black Sun Productions wrote:I'm a little confused. Is there not going to be a huge screening thingy at the con this time or is this for the accual contest and the huge screening at the con is for show. I thought that last year people got to vote for the best *whatever*

I'm just all about the confusion right now... :cry:
This is about the contest Pre-Screenings, not the actual contest showing/competition.

Each year, Otakon gets over 100 videos sent in for the contest- it's one of if not the biggest competitions in the country for AMVs. There is only some 2-2 1/2 hours of time for the contest, so a limited number of finalists have to be selected to actually compete in the contest. Otakon's choice of method to pare things down to the best of the submissions is to have Pre-Screenings, where all of the videos are watched and graded by those present at the Pre-Screenings. Those votes are tallied and used to determine the videos that are shown at the convention main contest.

Don't worry, the contest will happen as always, and everyone who attends will be able to vote on the winners. Now if everyone actually DOES is a whole other story... it's pathetic how small of a portion of the people who actually saw last year's contest actually bothered to vote, in spite of the ballots being made especially easy to vote on. :x
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:13 pm

Ashyukun wrote:
hackerzc wrote: So everyone knows we are having 3 locations this year, Baltimore MD(4), King of Prussia PA(1), and New York NY(1), for a total of 6 prescreenings.

Are you rescheduling the KoP prescreening? Not that I'll likely be able to make it, but then I'll be at the NYC one- I'm just curious.
Yes, I have rescheduled the KoP prescreening for the weekend of July 3rd.
Black Sun Productions wrote:I'm a little confused. Is there not going to be a huge screening thingy at the con this time or is this for the accual contest and the huge screening at the con is for show. I thought that last year people got to vote for the best *whatever*

I'm just all about the confusion right now...
I am talking about the prescreening right this moment (the screenings where we go through every entry and rate everyone, then the top rated videos are used in the contest). But yes there will be a video room dedicated to showing every single entry we have recieved, in addition to the contest itself.
John Westbrook

Toji Fujawara
Org Profile

Post by Toji Fujawara » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:31 pm

Hay i have a question...I need to know if my video made it.....i got the invatation the call and everything and then i found out (from quu) that he had lost my video....yes he said he had it at one time and I did upload my video again....but i have yet to hear back from him since my last email/pm (yes im a nag sorry :( ) but if you could pm me or something thing about it i would greatly apreciated it....

thanks in advace

sorry if im off topic witch im 99.9% sure i am.

toji
"Chewing gum is really gross, Chewing gum i hate the most"-Willy Wonka (Jonny Depp)

hackerzc
Org Profile

Post by hackerzc » Tue Jun 22, 2004 4:35 pm

Toji Fujawara wrote:Hay i have a question...I need to know if my video made it.....i got the invatation the call and everything and then i found out (from quu) that he had lost my video....yes he said he had it at one time and I did upload my video again....but i have yet to hear back from him since my last email/pm (yes im a nag sorry :( ) but if you could pm me or something thing about it i would greatly apreciated it....

thanks in advace

sorry if im off topic witch im 99.9% sure i am.

toji
Bryan right?
I just checked your entry in teh database and it shows the file as being there. Says that you created the FTP account on June 10th.... is this correct? If so then it should be there.
John Westbrook

Return to “AMV Contests”